First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buying a winter set of rims and snow and ice tires is pricy so thinking of going with 17 inch rims versus the stock 18 size. Have banged around in my head of going with steelies and spray painting them a more chrome or gun metal color wit clear coat top spray. Tire rack has steelies for 109.84 but they also have their brand of aluminum Radius brand, which are made in Italy. Those are on clearance for 159.68. With steelies there is no retorquing after 50-100 miles.

Two questions.
  1. Would if be fine to go with 17 rims on a hybrid Lariat and 97% sure but doesn't hurt to ask.
  2. Second question for $200 more on going with the aluminum rims, which would you do.

Note: Will have to clean the aluminum wheels each year to protect them from corrosion. The steelies would have to prep and spray paint on my Alto Blue Lariat.

The $200 differences is a bit but when you add in the tires the total cost gives me some pause.

Going back and forth. Do you guys have experience with aluminum wheels through a decade of winters and losing the seal?

Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims radius-WI16-wheels.JPG

Adding link to click for better picture of the rim.
Click for-larger rim picture
Sponsored

Last edited:

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have aluminum wheels on my 06 Element with 205k miles. The clearcoat eventually cracks and the salt gets under it making for some nasty looking wheels. Keep in mind, that took at least 5-6 winters before that happened. The Element was never garaged either.

OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have aluminum wheels on my 06 Element with 205k miles. The clearcoat eventually cracks and the salt gets under it making for some nasty looking wheels. Keep in mind, that took at least 5-6 winters before that happened. The Element was never garaged either.
Thanks and leaning heavily towards the aluminum wheels and they come full painted in gunmetal.

From the @Administrator collection thread using the 3 / 705 rev per mile is 004255 or will show an increase .3 of a mph on speedometer and odometer will show an extra 42.55 miles per 10k miles driven.
Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims 1662170119630

Last edited:
OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wanted to note that they claim force balancing is a much better balancing than spin balancing.

Plus they said that the 17 inch rim with more side wall in the tire would be better for the snow, but also said narrower would be better. Did not mention these as they seem to cancel out since the rims are a .5 inch wider at 17.5. TireRack sales rep said the offset of 48mm means it will sit more towards the fender (0.4134 inches), but should not be an issue. @Administrator is that true compared to the 37.5mm offset? This is all from someone selling me something, which I take with a pound of salt. :cool: (Guess it will be fine if people are posting using 235 and 245 tires, things hit slowly on marble head.)

It will take 6 years for the difference of unmounting tires on original rims and putting snow tires on with balancing, currently $80, minus mounting snow tires with rims, charge $32 to pay for the rims. It was a shocker they went up so much in the past few years.

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wanted to note that they claim force balancing is a much better balancing than spin balancing.
Honestly I still bubble balance most wheels for out fleet (because the powers that be are too cheap to buy me a real balancer) and all those still ride/wear fine.

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Discount tire has a set of black steelies for around $90 each.
For winter use, if your roads are anywhere near as bad as ours, I’d get steelies so you’re less likely to bend or crack a wheel.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You’re over thinking this. If this decision comes down to the convenience of having to swap wheels and tires once a year, then get the steel wheels and save the money. Most factory cast aluminum wheels are heavy because they use more material than a comparable steel wheel for the same strength. Forged aluminum wheels are another ballgame entirely. Paint the steel wheels, or better yet have them powder coated.

OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thought a lot of the steelies, but our roads are not to bad. Have looked into spray painting and they talk about a primer, the paint and for some reason a clear coat. The other thing is that they will force balance them. The steelies weight 25lbs and the aluminum weight 24.4 lbs so think they are of a good quality. Not sure if I should believe because they are made in Italy they are better than the Chinese wheels, but like not buying Chinese wheels. Have gone back and forth but the difference in price is about 200 but more like $150 if it only takes one can of each. But like the look of the aluminum wheels so leaning in that direction.

Do agree that over think some stuff. Comfortable with the 17 inch wheels even with the 10.5 mm increase in offset.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the factory black FX4 wheels w/245/65 Toyo All Terrains in 17” and it rides softer than the factory wheel/tire combo. I have a hard time believing those aluminum wheels are actually manufactured in Italy as even the regular price is under $200. It’s a great price if it’s true.

Crazyal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FE, Lariat, Lux, 4K, 2022 Ford Edge ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased the steel rims from Ford and they were not much more than Costco. What is the pricing for oem wheels in the USA?

Sponsored
OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the factory black FX4 wheels w/245/65 Toyo All Terrains in 17” and it rides softer than the factory wheel/tire combo. I have a hard time believing those aluminum wheels are actually manufactured in Italy as even the regular price is under $200. It’s a great price if it’s true.
Thanks ColoradoShooter. Did order from Tire Rack, went with the Radius Aluminum wheels. Also noting the tire pressure sensor where half the price of getting them locally and TR claims the are from the same manufacture that Ford gets them from but without the Ford Part Number. The wheels are made in Italy and via google "BMW tuner Racing Dynamic developed RADIUS wheels in 1997 with the goal of maximum mechanical and aerodynamic performance." Radius Link

Will post pictures when they are mounted after Thanksgiving.

Noting some things that was explained but welcome experts chiming in. The wheels have tighter lug nut wholes so they provide a Lug Adapter and Nickel Plated lug nuts. Also TR includes a Require Centering Ring, because they make them to fit a variety of vehicles and the Centering Ring is for the specific vehicle.

OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The wheels and tires arrived. Not happy about the hand tools only and torch wrench and concern of the plastic centering ring sticking to the hub when changing back over. Because of my bad back among other injuries that are aggravated all the time now at 65 was planning on using a tire place for winter change overs.

That said, like the rims and will have to manage and got here in 2 days! Now need a truck.
Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims 20220908_144537
Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims 20220908_144409
Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims 20220908_144423
Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims 20220908_144935

RanCheeto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt, Audi TT, 59 Corvette, 30 Model A, etc...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up a set of like new Bronco Sport 17" Rims for $300 from FB Marketplace. Also found a set of lightly used (2 year old) 225/65/17 snow tires for $100. I'll get them mounted with TPMS before the snow flies. Question is will I have a truck by then? (Build week 9/5, fingers still crossed)

Ford Maverick Winter set for Lariat thinking of going with 17 in rims Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 3.57.30 PM

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The wheels and tires arrived. Not happy about the hand tools only and torch wrench and concern of the plastic centering ring sticking to the hub when changing back over. Because of my bad back among other injuries that are aggravated all the time now at 65 was planning on using a tire place for winter change overs.

That said, like the rims and will have to manage and got here in 2 days! Now need a truck.
20220908_144537.jpg
20220908_144409.jpg
20220908_144423.jpg
20220908_144935.jpg
what color are the centering rings? I've bought several sets of winter tires from Tire Rack and all have required centering rings. I have accidently left one on the hub on more than one occasion. I'm now accustomed to checking but trusting a shop to do so is a different thing.
Best thing tire rack did is change the color from black to red! It's now nearly impossible not to notice when the ring stays stuck on the hub.

OP
OP
onetequilatwo

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From memory seemed to be clear but will check in a month when the druck comes and open the ceramic liquid as plan on putting some on the rims as well.
Sponsored