22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always been a bit surprised by the vast differences in tow ratings giving to cars in different markets. Granted the Maverick isn't over the pond (yet), but comparing different models from Ford and other manufacturers to their American counterparts is always interesting. Even comparing different models all together is amusing. Funny that a UK based VW Polo with a 1L engine is rated to tow more (2,200lbs) than a non-4K equipped Maverick if you throw a brake controller on it.

Wonder what the reasoning is, slower speeds? Laws? Manufacturers trying to upsell to North Americans?

If the Mav ever makes it to Europe the tow rating given to it will be one of the first stats I look at.

Link to the UK towing page I referenced
Sponsored

Last edited:

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.0 ecoboost with towing package can tow 4K. Plus, you can still put up to 1500 lbs in your bed, for a total of 5500 lbs. what more do you want from a little truck?

OP
OP
22RolloverClub

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2.0 ecoboost with towing package can tow 4K. Plus, you can still put up to 1500 lbs in your bed, for a total of 5500 lbs. what more do you want from a little truck?
I'm not poking at the Maverick. It's a capable little truck. I'm specifically talking about America's neutered tow ratings in general.

Side note, per tow ratings in general you cannot combine 1,500lbs in the bed and 4,000lbs on a trailer. That will put you way over the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid - US - 1500 lb max towing capacity

2022 Ford Kuga Hybrid - Europe - 1600 kg (~3500 lb)

All I gotta do is slap a KUGA badge on mine and I’ll more than double how much I can tow. 😉 (Not legally, and it’s not worth the liability risk if anything goes wrong, even though we know the vehicle can handle it.)

The point being, Europe tends to get significantly higher tow ratings than the US.

OP
OP
22RolloverClub

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid - US - 1500 lb max towing capacity

2022 Ford Kuga Hybrid - Europe - 1600 kg (~3500 lb)

All I gotta do is slap a KUGA badge on mine and I’ll more than double how much I can tow. 😉 (Not legally, and it’s not worth the liability risk if anything goes wrong, even though we know the vehicle can handle it.)

The point being, Europe tends to get significantly higher tow ratings than the US.
Top notch example! Totally agree on it not being worth the liability. Insurance would tear ya apart. The question still remains, I wonder why they get more favorable ratings?

Sponsored

Dignam

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4/Tow/Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've wondered the same thing. Maybe they figure North Americans are more likely to push the limits towing, so they CYA with lower limits vs abroad?

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One possible reason is that our highways make it possible to cross mountain ranges legally at 70+mph. My familiarity with European roads doesn’t go past what you see on Top Gear, but I think it’s not as easy to blast up a mountain there.

grumpyguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus. 2015 Wrangler
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always been a bit surprised by the vast differences in tow ratings giving to cars in different markets. Granted the Maverick isn't over the pond (yet), but comparing different models from Ford and other manufacturers to their American counterparts is always interesting. Even comparing different models all together is amusing. Funny that a UK based VW Polo with a 1L engine is rated to tow more (2,200lbs) than a non-4K equipped Maverick if you throw a brake controller on it.

Wonder what the reasoning is, slower speeds? Laws? Manufacturers trying to upsell to North Americans?

If the Mav ever makes it to Europe the tow rating given to it will be one of the first stats I look at.

Link to the UK towing page I referenced
One word: Lawyers!

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
American ways of driving, 80 mph speed limits. 10k feet highway mountain passes probably account for part of the low ratings here,

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They have mountains in Europe and the autobahn too. I think its 2 parts 1 passively lobbyists prepping for dealer upsells, and 2 WE cant drive for shit in America. No one pays attention, no one follows the rules, everyone forgot everything from drivers ed, and you have a higher chance of dying in a car than literally any other way in America. Im suprised we dont have mandated giant foam rubber pads glued to the outside of every car.

This is ofcourse everyone except for me, ofcourse.

Sponsored
OP
OP
22RolloverClub

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They have mountains in Europe and the autobahn too. I think its 2 parts 1 passively lobbyists prepping for dealer upsells, and 2 WE cant drive for shit in America. No one pays attention, no one follows the rules, everyone forgot everything from drivers ed, and you have a higher chance of dying in a car than literally any other way in America. Im suprised we dont have mandated giant foam rubber pads glued to the outside of every car.

This is ofcourse everyone except for me, ofcourse.
And you think Europe has all good drivers? Have you not watched YouTube?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Towed 3300 with the Hybrid.
Trailer had brakes.
Barely knew it was there.
20 MPG at 60 MPH.

Oh, and it was a 98°F day with A/C on during daylight hours.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The USA ratings are the "no compromise" ratings.

Any Road. Any Speed. With any trailer that meets the spec.

Horsepower is horsepower and cooling system is the cooling system but you can adjust one variable up if you adjust another one down.

Example for illustrative purposes:
2000 lbs @ 80 MPH
3000 lbs @ 70 MPH
4000 lbs @ 60 MPH
5000 lbs @ 50 MPH

* assumes trailer has properly adjusted brakes

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is not accurate. While it will probably not kill anyone or blow your cooling system to ignore it, you need to count the tongue weight of the trailer into the 1,500 bed load capacity. And you have to count your passenger weight as well. If you have 3 or 4 adults in the truck and a 4k pound trailer with a proper tongue weight ratio (about 10% of trailer weight/400 pounds), then your remaining bed capacity is WELL under 1,500 pounds. You are into the "I can put 500 pounds in my bed" realm.
Sponsored