MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is an odd flex.. asking a dealer to buy a truck they already own.

Buy it, sell it. I wouldn't walk away from the chance to purchase a Maverick at MSRP. You never know, you might like it better than the Tacoma.
Sponsored

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Odd question here.
Ordered a maverick in August 2021. Maverick set to be delivered in August 22 finally. My old ride died early 22 so I bought a 2020 Tacoma.

My question, has anyone offered not to take delivery of their Maverick if the dealership paid them for it? Basically I like the Tacoma a lot and would be happy to keep it, but wondering if I could offer to let the dealer keep the Maverick for a price? Basically I know they’re going to put $37k plus on my $27k truck, so wondering if they’d throw me a few bucks if I offered to let them keep it. Fully willing to buy the maverick if not, but just wondering if anyone has experience.
There is no way a dealership will just hand you money to let them have your truck. You must first own it, then sell it to them. The time you pay them to own it, it will cost you over 3K for taxes, dealer fees, and paperwork registation. Just my opinion.

Nandn205

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350
Buy it and check Vroom, Carmax, Carvana, etc. Put it up on facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. You will have NO PROBLEM selling it if you are fairly priced. You can easily make a few thousand dollars with the market right now. Better you than the dealer.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm in the same boat. Bought a 22 Tacoma so no longer want the Maverick. It's being built the week of 8/22. I'm waiting on Vroom to give me an offer. If I can make 5K or more on it then I will purchase it. If not I'll just tell them I don't want it. Now if Ford could just build that 2 door Bronco I've been waiting on for nearly 2 years........
I don't think Vroom will give you a price on a vehicle that's not registered in your name. You have to own it first.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think Vroom will give you a price on a vehicle that's not registered in your name. You have to own it first.
Not true. They won't BUY the vehicle, but they're happy to give you a quote with the VIN. Same for Carvana.

I'd still recommend auctioning it off via Carmigo, though.

Sponsored

Golfsnob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea you don't provide registration info until you agree to sell it to them. I've sold several vehicles to Vroom and Caravan. Sometimes the price is right sometimes not. Both are very easy to deal with.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not true. They won't BUY the vehicle, but they're happy to give you a quote with the VIN. Same for Carvana.

I'd still recommend auctioning it off via Carmigo, though.
Thanks, I though you had to own the vehicle. Sold my Hyundai Sonata to Carvana when I ordered my Maverick, was a very easy transaction.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny but I was just thinking this. I ordered September 18 XLT w lux and copilot366, rear window, floor mats and spare tire and 4K tow. No VIN yet and I’m getting old and tired of waiting so I’m thinking of buying a new a Ridgeline. I guess I could pay cash and sell to Carvana or someone else, but it would be easier if the dealer wanted to keep it. I will however have to mark up the price, after all my dealer marks them up. Fair is fair.
I'd just pick it up and then jack up the price and list it on Facebook Market place

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up mine yesterday and my dealer said if I don't like it over the next few months they would buy it from me for 5k more than I bought it for.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up mine yesterday and my dealer said if I don't like it over the next few months they would buy it from me for 5k more than I bought it for.
Tell them you'll sell it elsewhere for twice that.

But I'm sure you'll love it.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you plan on doing this I would wait until after your financing is secured and the paperwork for the Maverick is signed.

If you try to do this before any of that then it's fairly safe to say that your dealer will laugh in your face because you are trying to SELL THEM A TRUCK THEY ALREADY OWN. After that there is a good chance they will sell the truck out from underneath you.
They should. If you have a Toyota that you want to keep let the Maverick go to someone that will appreciate it. If I sound harsh oh well, this is what’s wrong with the system and their are plenty of folks that want a Maverick. I hope a good owner has the opportunity to appreciate the great characteristics of the Maverick. Enjoy your Toyota.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like I'm the minority, but I think it depends on how well you negotiate and what kind of mood they are in. Also if you signed a contract. If you signed a sales contract, and they are a reputable dealer, they know you have the right to buy it. But you can't phrase it as selling back because that sounds silly (since they own it). Ask them if they'd be interested in discounting the Tacoma, or maybe increasing the value of your trade in, cash incentive, etc. to walk away from your order. Getting a couple thousand seems viable. If you buy then sell you'll have to pay tax and registration. The hassle and expense of that vs $2k or so discount is win all around.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

boatman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Odd question here.
Ordered a maverick in August 2021. Maverick set to be delivered in August 22 finally. My old ride died early 22 so I bought a 2020 Tacoma.

My question, has anyone offered not to take delivery of their Maverick if the dealership paid them for it? Basically I like the Tacoma a lot and would be happy to keep it, but wondering if I could offer to let the dealer keep the Maverick for a price? Basically I know they’re going to put $37k plus on my $27k truck, so wondering if they’d throw me a few bucks if I offered to let them keep it. Fully willing to buy the maverick if not, but just wondering if anyone has experience.
I bought a Ranger 2 months ago tired of waiting on my Oct 2nd order. The next office over a couple was selling their Maverick XLT with a few 1000 miles to the dealer. They had big smiles when they left, not sure what they were paid. A few days later the dealer had it up for $41000. A few weeks ago I hear my 1st edition Maverick is come around the end of September. If they don't buy it, I'll buy it and sell it somewhere for sure.
Sponsored