Thedecline19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Odd question here.
Ordered a maverick in August 2021. Maverick set to be delivered in August 22 finally. My old ride died early 22 so I bought a 2020 Tacoma.

My question, has anyone offered not to take delivery of their Maverick if the dealership paid them for it? Basically I like the Tacoma a lot and would be happy to keep it, but wondering if I could offer to let the dealer keep the Maverick for a price? Basically I know they’re going to put $37k plus on my $27k truck, so wondering if they’d throw me a few bucks if I offered to let them keep it. Fully willing to buy the maverick if not, but just wondering if anyone has experience.
Sponsored

dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Odd question here.
Ordered a maverick in August 2021. Maverick set to be delivered in August 22 finally. My old ride died early 22 so I bought a 2020 Tacoma.

My question, has anyone offered not to take delivery of their Maverick if the dealership paid them for it? Basically I like the Tacoma a lot and would be happy to keep it, but wondering if I could offer to let the dealer keep the Maverick for a price? Basically I know they’re going to put $37k plus on my $27k truck, so wondering if they’d throw me a few bucks if I offered to let them keep it. Fully willing to buy the maverick if not, but just wondering if anyone has experience.
Ford has a new rule that 75% of orders must be purchased by the person who ordered the vehicle. Whether they'd go for your offer would depend on how close they happen to be to that percentage and possibly other factors. Otherwise, seems like it would make sense for them to go for it.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Odd question here.

Funny but I was just thinking this. I ordered September 18 XLT w lux and copilot366, rear window, floor mats and spare tire and 4K tow. No VIN yet and I’m getting old and tired of waiting so I’m thinking of buying a new a Ridgeline. I guess I could pay cash and sell to Carvana or someone else, but it would be easier if the dealer wanted to keep it. I will however have to mark up the price, after all my dealer marks them up. Fair is fair.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do not believe the dealer is going to purchase your Maverick. The way I understand it is if you cancel your order they have a choice. Cancel with Ford or have it come in and they will sell it on the lot. If they elect to sell it, I think they only have 25 vehicles they can do this with before Ford penalizes them with reduced allocations. If you say nothing and just refuse to accept it when it comes in, they will not purchase it from you because you do not own it, they do. Remember, you just ordered it, you have not bought it yet.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you pay a large Non Refundable Deposit when you ordered it? Unless you signed something different from the norm, you can just walk away, they can't force you to buy it. Give them the reason that it took so long and your vehicle died and was forced to buy something else. That clears the Dealer on Ford's rules and they sell it with a mark up on the lot

Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
If you plan on doing this I would wait until after your financing is secured and the paperwork for the Maverick is signed.

If you try to do this before any of that then it's fairly safe to say that your dealer will laugh in your face because you are trying to SELL THEM A TRUCK THEY ALREADY OWN. After that there is a good chance they will sell the truck out from underneath you.

OP
OP

Thedecline19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
If you plan on doing this I would wait until after your financing is secured and the paperwork for the Maverick is signed.

If you try to do this before any of that then it's fairly safe to say that your dealer will laugh in your face because you are trying to SELL THEM A TRUCK THEY ALREADY OWN. After that there is a good chance they will sell the truck out from underneath you.
valid point. My thought is that they’re holding my special order vehicle that I’m entitled to purchase. I could go through the show of buying the vehicle and then turn around and offer it back but why waste the time? Totally understand your point though and I think there is a non zero chance you’re right. I guess if I’m ultimately leaning toward the Tacoma anyway it’s nothing ventured nothing gained

OP
OP

Thedecline19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Did you pay a large Non Refundable Deposit when you ordered it? Unless you signed something different from the norm, you can just walk away, they can't force you to buy it. Give them the reason that it took so long and your vehicle died and was forced to buy something else. That clears the Dealer on Ford's rules and they sell it with a mark up on the lot
Yeah I can walk if I want, nothing technically holding me other than my $500 deposit

OP
OP

Thedecline19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
I do not believe the dealer is going to purchase your Maverick. The way I understand it is if you cancel your order they have a choice. Cancel with Ford or have it come in and they will sell it on the lot. If they elect to sell it, I think they only have 25 vehicles they can do this with before Ford penalizes them with reduced allocations. If you say nothing and just refuse to accept it when it comes in, they will not purchase it from you because you do not own it, they do. Remember, you just ordered it, you have not bought it yet.
Makes sense, although I wouldn’t own it I am entitled to purchase it. If they wanted to do that I could just purchase and flip it to them/another dealer, but I’m figuring why make them waste the time.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s not 25 vehicles or any number. It’s a 75% name matching rate they must keep.

Sponsored

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Makes sense, although I wouldn’t own it I am entitled to purchase it. If they wanted to do that I could just purchase and flip it to them/another dealer, but I’m figuring why make them waste the time.
Dont tell them this at all. That you want them to pay you for not buying it, unless you know them personally. If I was said dealer I would say sorry, but here if you want to buy it we are adding on $5k worth of garbage add ons and to take it or leave it. And you can do nothing about it.

Maverickblues

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I agree 100%. I wouldn't say a word to them or in any way let them think you are not delighted to get your truck.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
valid point. My thought is that they’re holding my special order vehicle that I’m entitled to purchase. I could go through the show of buying the vehicle and then turn around and offer it back but why waste the time? Totally understand your point though and I think there is a non zero chance you’re right. I guess if I’m ultimately leaning toward the Tacoma anyway it’s nothing ventured nothing gained
Unfortunately this is a common misconception around here. You are not entitled to anything even though you placed the order for a vehicle. Until the financing is secured and the paperwork is signed the DEALER owns the vehicle NOT you and they can do whatever they want with it.

Golfsnob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in the same boat. Bought a 22 Tacoma so no longer want the Maverick. It's being built the week of 8/22. I'm waiting on Vroom to give me an offer. If I can make 5K or more on it then I will purchase it. If not I'll just tell them I don't want it. Now if Ford could just build that 2 door Bronco I've been waiting on for nearly 2 years........

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
you'd have to buy/own it first. titling and taxes. then sell. unless you have a dealers license to avoid some of that. Dealer gets wind of any of that and they will make it impossible for you to purchase so they can cash in. Heck some are doing that to people that want their trucks!
Sponsored