Sponsored

Will maverick last over 150k with mostly highway driving?

tamamade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL 2.0 ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My maverick is still less than one year old and I've been able to put about 25k miles on it. Still a few years from 150k mark but I heard this engine needs some expensive service around 150k. It seems ford design these engines with a goal of lasting only 150k miles so a lot of things may need repair after that mile mark. There are people saying the turbo will definitely need some sort of service, and the head gasket may need some service. Those aren't cheap(parts may be cheap but labor cost $$$$).

I think I usually drives about 33k per year. That means reaching 150k in 4.5 years.

So my question is, should I plan to get rid of it by 150k miles? I drive mostly highway (80% highway) so the miles build up pretty fast. Would highway driving be easier on the engine so the engine may last longer than 150k miles?
Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don’t get the fear over turbos. They’ve been in significant use for decades and don’t seem to fail any more or less than other components, like starters or water pumps. In fact, they may be more reliable than those. 150k miles of highway driving should be easy on the maverick, assuming you’re not driving 90+ mph all the time or hauling 1000 lbs everyday. Just change the oil as recommended (or maybe slightly more frequently if you’re inclined).

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How long do you normally keep a vehicle?

I think a large majority of "long term" owners target that 150-200k range as it's "useful" life, before reliability & larger repairs are a consideration.

There is currently no data to suggest the Maverick will be any more problematic than average, long term.

In your favor, long highway drives are generally more favorable to a long term trouble-free engine vs. frequent short drives.

Since no one can predict the future of your vehicle, you just have to "play along", and adapt as situations arise.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nope keep it and roll on. I drive about 80k a year. I heard the same thing with my first 3.5 ecoboost. I went 374k before it got hit and totaled. I drove it hard zero issues. I have several 2.0 ecoboost now and non have needed anything. Especially not turbos. Just keep the oil changed and drive it.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last 2 cars I had went over 250k before they got wrecked. I worry more about carbon buildup than the turbo. Retired now so won't see that kind of miles.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "head gasket" issue you speak of was a combo of defect and design allowing coolant intrusion into the cylinders was fixed with the gen 2 engine (debuted in 2019) which changed the coolant deck design to remedy the issue.

Generally turbo failure is caused first by a cracked exhaust manifold - which is unfortunately integrated to the cylinder heads in the 2.0EB so it is a really costly repair.

There are some other minor known issues with the EB that could flare up but the above are the two major issues - the first being addressed and the latter being an engine design that if it fails - is costly regardless.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As long as a modern engine & power train components are well maintained and not abused, I would think 150-200K is obtainable. It can pretty well be assumed at around 100k the valves will need to be walnut blasted as a normal maintenance process for a direct injected engine since fuel does not hit the valves to keep the carbon deposits cleared off, probably a $500 or little less project. The key to a vehicles power train life is good maintenance. IMO use a full synthetic oil that meets fords oil spec, change the oil and filter every 5k miles and perform the other maintenance recommendations in the manual sooner than listed in the manual. With the majority of your miles being highway miles driven, IMO you have even a better outlook for a long power train life span with good maintenance.

Vettereddie

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't speak to the Ecoboost, but my last vehicle was a 2011 Nissan with a 1.5L turbo. Was pretty much trouble-free to 12 years / 150k then started consuming about 1 qt. of oil between changes. Pulled the intake and noticed oil pooling in the turbo inlet, guessing the bearing seal was starting to go. This was mostly local driving with a lot of stop and go traffic, so harder on the engine than highway miles.

I would guess 200k easy for your case, and afterward a turbo or even full engine rebuild is still a lot cheaper than a new Maverick, especially with the rest of the vehicle still being pretty young age-wise to not worry about things like rubber, paint and corrosion issues yet.

RobbieAG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL EB AWD 4k Tow CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll be very disappointed if my Maverick doesn't last at least 200k miles. I don't think turbos will necessarily cause issues. Diesel truck go millions of miles with turbos.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As long as a modern engine & power train components are well maintained and not abused, I would think 150-200K is obtainable. It can pretty well be assumed at around 100k the valves will need to be walnut blasted as a normal maintenance process for a direct injected engine since fuel does not hit the valves to keep the carbon deposits cleared off, probably a $500 or little less project. The key to a vehicles power train life is good maintenance. IMO use a full synthetic oil that meets fords oil spec, change the oil and filter every 5k miles and perform the other maintenance recommendations in the manual sooner than listed in the manual. With the majority of your miles being highway miles driven, IMO you have even a better outlook for a long power train life span with good maintenance.
So is also like o clear up that the carbon build up is not as bad as most are made to believe. It’s a lot of click bait for views. I have now 5 that have all cleared 300k with zero issues. At first I was pulling the intake to see how bad at 120k. After finding that I had very minimal on the first 3 I owned I stopped looking. Or caring.
was this maybe because I use high end oil? Perhaps but I run my engines much much harder than most so a lot of blow by should increase the problem for me.
Also you can help reduce the build up which is caused by blow by.
Blow by pressuring the crank and pushing oil up through the pcv into intake. So how can we reduce pressure and reduce oil being pushed passed the oil separator in the pcv cover?
Upr makes an oil fill filter with check valve. I have started running these now. As pressure is built in the bottom end it’s released out of the valve cover. In theory should never build enough pressure to push oil passed the separator this no more intake coking.

Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Last 2 cars I had went over 250k before they got wrecked. I worry more about carbon buildup than the turbo. Retired now so won't see that kind of miles.
My hope is that you do reach those miles and have a big ass smile on your face!!

Johnny maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mav 16 superduty 89 xr7 sc 5spd 84 gt turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My magic 8 ball says "outlook good". I but seriously it's a proven platform and drivetrain. Proper maintenance and you double that.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly every vehicle is a toss up. You can have the most reliable vehicle proven over the past 10 years and still get one that's a lemon and going to have issues every 30k. I mean, there are people who are going to drive 50k with a blown head gasket too... so the best you can do for your vehicle is preventative maintenance. Also, there is a chance that if something does fail and gets replaced, that it will never happen again and before you know it... 200k.

Just maintain your vehicle and plan to go above and beyond the recommended services. Always know those recommendations are not to keep you in that vehicle for a long time - they are to get you past the warranty period so that big company no longer has to foot the cost for repairs. Lifetime fluids are a fairy tale and the science points to changing more often is better than stretching it because you can. All that said, the best way to know is fluid analysis' and meticulous preventative maintenance and checks.

Most people have no idea how to maintain a vehicle so they take what's written by paid schills as gospel - It's the "#1 doctor recommended" ad when it comes to maintenance. "But the dealer said I don't have to do this until 100k" and then at 120k they are having issues... A little research goes a long way and so does a little more effort ;)

Good luck!

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who knows but one thing for sure, accidents notwithstanding, my Mav will outlive me so I got better things to do today than worry bout it, like checking out all those hilarious Travis Kelcie memes today. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored