Sponsored

Will Ford tighten up ordering process for 2022 onward?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just speculating a little here. I think most of us assume Ford representatives of some capacity monitor and act as Admin on this board. There's many discussions of the order process they rolled out for Maverick and many complaints. I'm not looking to start another complaint thread here, but expecting Ford to change the process going forward. Example: there were many people openly placing multiple Reservations and orders (many without even seeing 1 in person, much less test driving) and expecting they will walk if they don't love it or something else comes up- and knowing it costs them nothing with no deposit required by most dealers.

At the same time people are complaining about Additional Dealer Markups over MSRP on pricing stock units sold off their lots. There's been a couple members on here who have said they already sold their newly arrived Maverick for a profit? Now, we have a poster advertising on here he will sell his ordered Maverick with his own added markup before he even takes possession of the Maverick?

Not saying I like it, but I think we should expect Ford to start requiring a non-refundable deposit along with confirmed personal ID on each order placed to lessen chances of gaming the system with bogus orders and trying to flip new "retail" vehicles for personal profit due to low entry level cost of Mavericks. Maybe other deterrents to tighten up the system as well so it works better with less uncertainty all around?

Just food for thought :unsure:
Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like capitalism to me.

I don't think we need regulations. Let the market sort it out.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is only one thing that drives decisions in this space: Money.

Until Ford's bottom line is affected, this system works just fine for them.

From a consumer point of view, the dealer model is complicated and on the aggregate doesn't result in BETTER outcomes. Sure it encourages some form of competition, but more often than not the consumer loses out. Savvy consumers get a deal or break even but the rest are dealing with the nonsense

From Ford's point of view the dealer model is perfection. They are isolated from risk, consumer issues, staffing and localization. It's a perfect hands-off corporate situation. Sure some dealers are scum, but that's up to the consumer, not ford.

The only way this changes is if some spreadsheet somewhere changes to show that direct sales are worth it or that their brand is suffering because of car dealers.

Direct sales aren't going to become better for a size like Ford for a very long time.

Dealer reputation is already at the bottom of a trash heap and they still sell millions of cars, so i doubt that's gonna change.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer made me put down a refundable $1k deposit and I was sold the truck at $500 below MSRP. I was happy to put down that deposit to have some skin in the game seeing how hot these trucks are. To me that money cemented the deal already on paper.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just speculating a little here. I think most of us assume Ford representatives of some capacity monitor and act as Admin on this board. There's many discussions of the order process they rolled out for Maverick and many complaints. I'm not looking to start another complaint thread here, but expecting Ford to change the process going forward. Example: there were many people openly placing multiple Reservations and orders (many without even seeing 1 in person, much less test driving) and expecting they will walk if they don't love it or something else comes up- and knowing it costs them nothing with no deposit required by most dealers.

At the same time people are complaining about Additional Dealer Markups over MSRP on pricing stock units sold off their lots. There's been a couple members on here who have said they already sold their newly arrived Maverick for a profit? Now, we have a poster advertising on here he will sell his ordered Maverick with his own added markup before he even takes possession of the Maverick?

Not saying I like it, but I think we should expect Ford to start requiring a non-refundable deposit along with confirmed personal ID on each order placed to lessen chances of gaming the system with bogus orders and trying to flip new "retail" vehicles for personal profit due to low entry level cost of Mavericks. Maybe other deterrents to tighten up the system as well so it works better with less uncertainty all around?

Capitalism at its finest by low sell high 💰

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not putting money down on something I cannot at least sit in and kick the tires.
Well if you look at the ordering system for the 2022 Mach E and you want one you will need to put down $500 .The system in place for the Mach E is totally different than the Maverick .And I personally think it is much Cleaner . Totally administered by Ford corp . you go online order your vehicle pick everything you want ,then you pick your dealer. at that point Ford sends the dealer your order. I do believe Ford realized the Maverick ordering system was flawed and ripe for funny business .Technically I ordered my maverick from the dealer and technically it is there truck .I am not a lawyer but I ordered from the manufacturer they gave me the cost .Everything was initiated by me. The dealer very well just becomes a delivery service ??

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
My dealer made me put down a refundable $1k deposit and I was sold the truck at $500 below MSRP. I was happy to put down that deposit to have some skin in the game seeing how hot these trucks are. To me that money cemented the deal already on paper.

If the deposit was refundable, how did you have skin in the game? There was zero risk for you.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well if you look at the ordering system for the 2022 Mach E and you want one you will need to put down $500 .The system in place for the Mach E is totally different than the Maverick .And I personally think it is much Cleaner . Totally administered by Ford corp . you go online order your vehicle pick everything you want ,then you pick your dealer. at that point Ford sends the dealer your order. I do believe Ford realized the Maverick ordering system was flawed and ripe for funny business .Technically I ordered my maverick from the dealer and technically it is there truck .I am not a lawyer but I ordered from the manufacturer they gave me the cost .Everything was initiated by me. The dealer very well just becomes a delivery service ??
Yes the Maverick order process was sort of V2.0 from the Bronco, which I understand has generally been a bit of a fiasco. It still seemed inconsistent from dealer to dealer - in the sense that some of them get it and want to sell in this high volume fixed price model (Granger, Horsham, others?), and others want to pull as many shenanigans as they can to get the customer ordered vehicles into their hands for a hefty markup.

For the build-to-order process to work, it isn't rocket science but needs to be done right:

1. Confirmed Buyer - ID required, fixed refundable deposit amount (set by Ford) - $250, $500?
2. Agreed to MSRP or lower @ time of sale
3. Low max doc fee (either by state maximum or set Ford value)
4. No required add-ons
5. Customer backout - vehicle offered to dealer's waiting list at the same pricing
....This last one is a kicker but I like it - require verified contact to customers (on-file email sent), allow window for response (72hr). This keeps the dealer accountable, and also streamlines Ford's build process - in theory they now have one less truck to build - dealer then has option to cancel, or take the other customer's order (as a deprioritized build) as a stock unit - throwing the dealers a bone in the process here.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I think the biggest issues were at least partially out of their control in terms of the list of grievances that have gone on with the roll-out. The first 2 bullets were the biggest complaints for quite some time.

- People complaining about where their truck was, even before the first day of Fall
- EPA delayed Hybrid certification (which added to the first bullet)
- Dealers not knowing all the ins and outs of the order process (50% on Ford, 50% on dealers that try to game it to their advantage)
- The multiple reservations (result of bullet above) - the only people being hurt by this are other buyers, but it is Ford's and Dealer's fault for having a convoluted system resulting in dealer mis-management that drove people to create multiple orders
- Dealer markups - par for the course in today's climate - while there are options to avoid this (and get even better deals), it shouldn't have to be an issue for customer ordered trucks

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the deposit was refundable, how did you have skin in the game? There was zero risk for you.
Here again Ford does not require a deposit for the Maverick, Other vehicles yes so if the dealer is asking for a deposit I'd go elsewhere

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Here again Ford does not require a deposit for the Maverick, Other vehicles yes so if the dealer is asking for a deposit I'd go elsewhere
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about unless you just responded to the wrong post. As you can see below, I didn't say ANYTHING about Ford being the one that required a deposit and the person I was replying to specifically stated the dealer asked him for the deposit. Seems we both know that Ford isn't the one asking for it so I have no clue why you felt the need to tell me that but uhhh, I mean, thanks...I guess?

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
currently, no they don't. Doesn't mean they can't require it in the future... and what thread is about, the future of what may happen.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about unless you just responded to the wrong post. As you can see below, I didn't say ANYTHING about Ford being the one that required a deposit and the person I was replying to specifically stated the dealer asked him for the deposit. Seems we both know that Ford isn't the one asking for it so I have no clue why you felt the need to tell me that but uhhh, I mean, thanks...I guess?
It means that the dealer has no right to ask you for a deposit when Ford does not require a deposit from anyone to order a new Maverick if he's trying to tell you he wants a deposit you need to call Ford motor company and ask them if it is required they will tell you no
currently, no they don't. Doesn't mean they can't require it in the future... and what thread is about, the future of what may happen.
Ask the Magic🎱 Reply hazy

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like capitalism to me.

I don't think we need regulations. Let the market sort it out.
Who was talking about regulations?

I'm pretty sure @Old Ranchero was just offering suggestions about how Ford should change its ordering process to make it work better.

It means that the dealer has no right to ask you for a deposit when Ford does not require a deposit
That's not really what it means.

If Ford doesn't require a deposit that just means the dealer doesn't have to ask you for a deposit. The dealer can still ask for one if they want to, and many do.
Sponsored