Sponsored

Why the #!!%$ is Liability Insurance so Costly for the Maverick?

Bruce8858

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My best advice is to find an independent insurance agent. They can quote you from dozens of different insurance companies and find you a better deal.

I use an independent agent for both my house and my automobile policies. They have changed insurance companies on me in the past to save me money against insurance increases.This way, I don’t have to waste my time calling individual companies and having to have them run me insurance quotes.

I do not stick with any insurance company out of loyalty or because I have my home insured with the same company as well. I throw my policies out for quotes approximately every two years. I am not loyal to any insurance company, this is mainly because they are not loyal to their customers. The bottom line is they want to make a profit and they will increase your rates depending on how the situation is in your area accordingly.
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my XL 2 weeks ago to replace my 2007 Chevy Colorado. Here is what I am paying on a 6 month policy here in California with Mercury:

1710342829524-2o.png
I have AllState here in Texas and because both myself and wife are retired we are on their Milewise program. Wife only drives around 2,500 miles a year and I only do about 5,000.

The policy is also a 6 month one.

For my Maverick the 6 month cost will be base $234.24 plus $120 for the 2,500 miles driven or a total of $356.50 including the $2.26 in other fees.

Wifes CR-V the 6 month cost will be base $199.47 plus $53.75 for the 1,250 miles driven or a total of $255.48 including the $2.26 in other fees.

For both vehicles the total is $611.98 ever 6 months.

As shown on the policy I did not pick up roadside assistance as Ford has that service for free over the first 3 years. Also the rental coverage is unneeded for us being retired and we would just share one vehicle.

I did pick up the Auto Replacement coverage so that if as others here experienced and the truck gets totaled I will get an exact same truck even if the price has greatly increased.

Ford Maverick Why the #!!%$ is Liability Insurance so Costly for the Maverick? Both.JPG

Ford Maverick Why the #!!%$ is Liability Insurance so Costly for the Maverick? 2009 Honda CR-V.JPG

Ford Maverick Why the #!!%$ is Liability Insurance so Costly for the Maverick? 2023 Ford Maverick.JPG

Last edited:

mcluvin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If your insurance offers a vehicle tracking service discount, sticking an Airtag in the vehicle should qualify you for the discount.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've done the same in the past...but when I selected Geico one year, they've kept my business for several years now, with low rates. Full coverage on 4 cars and 1 Class C RV for $972.50 for 6 months is very reasonable, especially considering many RV insurances are that much for just the RV.
And we did have a claim several years ago when our teenage daughter got hit. They were great and paid well for a totaled 1988 Acura AND let us buy back the driveable car for $200.
Well when you find a good company there will be no need to change. (y)

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The sad part is I spent an entire day shopping around and none of them beat my current coverage or the price. I was not expecting that. According to my family that switched to Progressive from USAA, they saved a ton of money. When I looked it was basically a "save up front" advertisement and then got to be more costly than my current rates. I checked Progressive, GEICO, Liberty, Farmers, State Farm and Allstate. I didn't bother checking after that. I felt I had wasted enough time. And this was all after my rates went up.
I checked out one company a long while ago and they gave me a quote almost 400 bucks more. Not sure how they calculated that. I had a clean record.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked out one company a long while ago and they gave me a quote almost 400 bucks more. Not sure how they calculated that. I had a clean record.
Yes some of the quotes I was given made it seem like there was the equivalent of 10 felonies on my driving record. Made no sense.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw the article below on my phone this evening regarding the jump in auto insurance rates.

It outlines the variation in rates from state to state. It doesn't mention Florida in partcular though, as it wasn't apparently the leader in rate hikes. From what members here are sharing, it must not be too far off.

Boy, do I feel for those in Nevada. Uff-da! :(

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/business/car-insurance-rates-are-surging/index.html#:~:text=More severe and frequent car accidents&text=That has led to an,of collision claims in 2022.

OP
OP
ArtP

ArtP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This thread has turned into a discussion of increasing insurance rates in general, so I'll make one last post about the affect of the Maverick on my auto liability insurance rate.

The Hartford charged me $1,317/year for a 2019 Honda CR-V and a 2004 Colorado on 1/7/2024
The Hartford is charging me $1,460/year for the Honda and the 2024 Maverick
State Farm quoted me $860/6 mos for the Honda and the Colorado ($1,720/year?)
State Farm quoted me $748/6 mos for the Honda and the Maverick ($1,496/year?)
Geico quoted $600/6 mos for the Honda and the Maverick to try to suck me in.

Pricing for the Maverick is only 2 months after the billing for the year with the Colorado, and considering I will only have the Maverick 10 months this year the increase is $16.30/mo.

It is apparent to me that the fault is not with the Maverick, rather it's the various algorithms used by the (sometimes stupid) insurance companies.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Going from a 2006 Saturn Vue to my 2023 Maverick only increased my full coverage bill by $8/mo. Shop around or look into an umbrella policy. I got a lot more liability protection with the umbrella and my total monthly premiums went down! YMMV.
2004 Vue to a 2024 Maverick. Beat ya 😉!

Kalamalee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 f150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a bill from my insurance company for additional premium to change my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado to the 2024 Ford Maverick. This is only for Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability and Accidental Death. The premium for these coverages increased 53% to insure the Maverick. On the other hand, they lowered the cost for these coverages on my Honda CR-V by 16%. Rates are based on the same coverage, same drivers, same annual mileage, and same address (crazy Florida).

Consider that my Maverick has safety features not available on the 2004 Colorado:
side-curtain airbags
knee airbag
tire pressure monitoring system
pre-collision assist with emergency braking
rear view camera
lane departure warning
lane-keeping aid
lane-centering
hill desent control

Are you guys driving your Mavericks so recklessly that you have super-increased the experience factors for wrecks and claims?
I just got my new insurance bill and experienced the same thing

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Going from a 2006 Saturn Vue to my 2023 Maverick only increased my full coverage bill by $8/mo. Shop around or look into an umbrella policy. I got a lot more liability protection with the umbrella and my total monthly premiums went down! YMMV.
So what you are saying is that everyone is now catching up with yours....

Oneeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found out the hard way that if you have bad credit your insurance goes up. I never needed or wanted a credit card. So not having one for over 15 years, my insurance jumped over 1000 of what I was paying. Called and was told you are a major liability. Tried to go to other companies and some would not and others wanted 3k plus every 6 months. . I got and started using credit. After 1 1/2 years I had them do a credit check and it went down some. But was able to go find different insurance after that

Blcaldwell09

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a bill from my insurance company for additional premium to change my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado to the 2024 Ford Maverick. This is only for Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability and Accidental Death. The premium for these coverages increased 53% to insure the Maverick. On the other hand, they lowered the cost for these coverages on my Honda CR-V by 16%. Rates are based on the same coverage, same drivers, same annual mileage, and same address (crazy Florida).

Consider that my Maverick has safety features not available on the 2004 Colorado:
side-curtain airbags
knee airbag
tire pressure monitoring system
pre-collision assist with emergency braking
rear view camera
lane departure warning
lane-keeping aid
lane-centering
hill desent control

Are you guys driving your Mavericks so recklessly that you have super-increased the experience factors for wrecks and claims?
Its Florida. There's a stale bill in the legislature regarding auto insurance and the way premiums are calculated. It gets killed every year. Write your representatives asking them to hear it and pass it. Tell your story. Mine is that I went from $77/mth for 100/300 and all the bells and whistles. To more than double for only 10/20 no bells n whistles--for 16 chrys 200...got my Maverick...it more than doubled again. But-I've been told by the experts that the insured has to make up for the uninsured...the amount of uninsured will blow your mind

Blcaldwell09

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found out the hard way that if you have bad credit your insurance goes up. I never needed or wanted a credit card. So not having one for over 15 years, my insurance jumped over 1000 of what I was paying. Called and was told you are a major liability. Tried to go to other companies and some would not and others wanted 3k plus every 6 months. . I got and started using credit. After 1 1/2 years I had them do a credit check and it went down some. But was able to go find different insurance after that
Because premiums are credit based...which should not be because insurance is prepaid. Write your representatives and demand insurance reform
Sponsored