Sponsored

Why is everyone paying so much over MSRP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzard90

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado Crew 4x4
I'm curious as to why so many people are willing to pay so much over MSRP?

An answer of "because I can" doesn't help. I mean, I'm happy for you if money is not a problem.

I can't afford to pay over MSRP, so I'm waiting for prices to become more reasonable. I know it may take quite a while and I do worry about Ford increasing the MSRP because of there being so many willing to pay so much.

So yeah...I'm just curious.
Sponsored

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your going to get so many different answers. Bottom line, impatient. They may increase prices while it’s such a hot truck right now but there will come a time when the new wears off and the competition starts showing up and prices will get normal. Those that pay 5-15,000 above MSRP will never get their money back in a few years. It’s the price you pay to be first on the block.

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick

An answer of "because I can" doesn't help. I mean, I'm happy for you if money is not a problem.

I can't afford to pay over MSRP, so I'm waiting for prices to become more reasonable. I know it may take quite a while and I do worry about Ford increasing the MSRP because of there being so many willing to pay so much.

You dont have to wait to pay MSRP. Just find the right dealership and get MSRP right now (assuming they get what you want in stock).

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Enderet says you might be able to find one in stock at MSRP, and that would be great if you did. But it's a long shot and unlikely to happen.

My guess is that you will need to wait until MY 2023 ordering opens in August, find a dealer who will agree in writing to sell you the truck at MSRP, order what you want ... and wait.

I also suggest searching this forum for the name of any dealer you are considering doing business with. If they are discussed here, you will be able to see how they have treated people in the past.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What if you are a very clever car salesman looking to find out what motivates the most desperate buyers?

Very good move. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

wizzard90

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado Crew 4x4
What if you are a very clever car salesman looking to find out what motivates the most desperate buyers?

Very good move. ;)
LoL That would be clever, I guess. But I'm just a retired guy hoping to eventually get a hybrid pickup after 18 years with my Colorado Crew Cab 4x4.

Weird Harold

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Find a reputable dealer and order one. I paid MSRP. It’s a waiting game until supply catches up with demand.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I just paid less than MSRP at my dealership. I'm not sure why you are posting negative and false information. Yes there is dealers overcharging but not everyone is.
Talk about being out of touch......you're in the very very minority of consumers and if you did in fact pay less than MSRP consider yourself very lucky. I doubt there are very many who did not order a Maverick paying MSRP let alone less than MSRP. The reality is that most are paying at least $5,000.00 over MSRP (whether they want to admit it or not).

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just paid less than MSRP at my dealership. I'm not sure why you are posting negative and false information. Yes there is dealers overcharging but not everyone is.
I think maybe you need to go back and read the sequence of posts again.

I responded to @Enderet's post about finding a truck in stock at MSRP.

You say you got your truck under MSRP, and that's great. But you didn't find that truck in stock did you?

You don't mention it in your post -- not sure why that is -- but you actually ordered your truck about 8 months ago and got it last month.

In other words, you did exactly what I recommended that the OP do. So what's the problem?

Last edited:

xhristian1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ES 350
:ROFLMAO:😂People are itching to bootlick dealerships they lack reading comprehension.

Impossible to find a dealer willing to see a non-order Maverick at MSRP.

People are willing to spend over MSRP are the same ones willing to bid 50k over a home and waive inspections. America is the land of instant gratification and excess.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Talk about being out of touch......you're in the very very minority of consumers and if you did in fact pay less than MSRP consider yourself very lucky. I doubt there are very many who did not order a Maverick paying MSRP let alone less than MSRP.
Hey, @FakeCowboy,

@XL51's post gave the impression that he bought one from dealer stock at less than MSRP.

But that's not the case.

He's posted before about his order and, from this post, I'd say he ordered September 25, 2021.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided

Because we live in a "Gotta have it now" and instant gratification culture were a lot of people are unwilling to wait 7, 8, 10 months or longer for anything. So those people are willing to pay over MSRP to have it now.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One answer to the OP is that some buyers perform the financial calculations for temporary transportation (which is not free), which they might need RIGHT NOW. and realize that overpaying for a Maverick makes perfect financial sense to them - and might even be cheaper than waiting.

The endless financially-illiterate lectures by people who simply cannot imagine the life situations of others - that gets really tedious. Hurrah for you. You'll never pay more than MSRP. Go have a banana, beat your chest, and go outside to hoot at the neighbors.

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Greed.
Its starts with Ford greed, taking orders that they most likely can't fill, and offering options that they can't fill.

Next is dealer greed, who do very little to earn the extra money, other than scaring buyers away so they can sell for more money, or sselling for over MSRP because they CAN. Also I believe "canceled orders" are not actually canceled. The dealer can then sell it when the original order is refused.

Next is buyer greed, who have ordered more than one so they can sell at a profit the "extra" one. Rough guess from reading MTC, about a fourth of the early buyers have a second or third on order, but will only take one. That puts the rest of us waiting for a single truck at the back of the line.

If you can afford it, and want it, more power to you. I paid $700 for football tickets that I could have watched the game on TV, but I wanted to go. I'll wait for my Mav at MSRP.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.