First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After living 76 years and having bought around 100 new vehicles for family and business, I pose the question, “Why would you buy a Maverick?” Before I answer it, let me share an insight my old dad gave me when I was a kid. It has 3 things to it and he aced Economics although he never finished High School.
  • Only buy what you can afford.
  • Only buy what you need.
  • Only buy what you want when you can afford it and if you think you need it.
Now to the answer to my question. A lot of people on the forum go to long explanations why a Corolla with a trailer will do what a Maverick will do, why some other vehicle is better, etc. The answer is very simple. If you only need a car, buy a car. If you need a 1 ton pickup and can afford it, buy a 1 ton pickup. If you want a $150K sports car and can afford it, buy it. But there is no need to go to great lengths to compare any of them to a Maverick. It is a small truck that is very affordable and designed to do what a small truck is designed to do – plain and simple.

If I own a business and move heavy equipment, etc. I probably need that 1 ton truck, not a Maverick. If I only go to the store and get groceries once a week, drive 2K per year and that is it, I can probably do with a 5 year old small car. If I want something that is functional in so many ways, and provided I can find one, I will buy a Maverick. If not, I will buy what I can afford, need and find and that is the end of it – plain and simple.
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After living 76 years and having bought around 100 new vehicles for family and business, I pose the question, “Why would you buy a Maverick?” Before I answer it, let me share an insight my old dad gave me when I was a kid. It has 3 things to it and he aced Economics although he never finished High School.
Now to the answer to my question. A lot of people on the forum go to long explanations why a Corolla with a trailer will do what a Maverick will do, why some other vehicle is better, etc. The answer is very simple. If you only need a car, buy a car. If you need a 1 ton pickup and can afford it, buy a 1 ton pickup. If you want a $150K sports car and can afford it, buy it. But there is no need to go to great lengths to compare any of them to a Maverick. It is a small truck that is very affordable and designed to do what a small truck is designed to do – plain and simple.

If I own a business and move heavy equipment, etc. I probably need that 1 ton truck, not a Maverick. If I only go to the store and get groceries once a week, drive 2K per year and that is it, I can probably do with a 5 year old small car. If I want something that is functional in so many ways, and provided I can find one, I will buy a Maverick. If not, I will buy what I can afford, need and find and that is the end of it – plain and simple.
Reasonable adults are not allowed here!

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm buying one because:
- Being shorter than avg, I want/need to sit up higher in a vehicle for better visibility while driving.
- While I want to be up higher, I don't want to have to climb up into a vehicle.
- I like that I can easily see into the bed of the truck.
- It is more affordable than other options I was considering.
- I like the styling and appearance.

Solo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ford Escape, '24 Maverick XLT Hybrid (sched)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You make a good point. The uses I have for my Maverick (if it actually gets built) will fit my lifestyle, at an affordable price. Would I like to have a $80-$90k F-150? Sure... Except I can't afford it, and it really would not fit my lifestyle. This makes the Maverick a 'real' enough truck for my needs.

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've been waiting almost 40 years for a vehicle that would provide the functionality and efficiency I had in my 1981 Courier 2.3. The Maverick is the first one to not only do it, but provide many more creature comforts at the same time. Yes, it's bed is smaller, but will still carry 1500 lbs., 5 people, and meets my current needs.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've been waiting almost 40 years for a vehicle that would provide the functionality and efficiency I had in my 1981 Courier 2.3. The Maverick is the first one to not only do it, but provide many more creature comforts at the same time. Yes, it's bed is smaller, but will still carry 1500 lbs., 5 people, and meets my current needs.
I'm pretty much in the same boat with my 1987 B2000 long bed. If I had the garage space I would keep it but probably time to let someone else enjoy it.

All4spl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought mine because:

1) It's very affordable, and I only financed around 50% of the purchase price.

2) Growing up in the 90s I could not afford to hop on the mini-truck trend, now I can.

3) You only have ONE life, enjoy it! I will be enjoying this truck for many years to come.

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm 70 years old and retired. I Drive now about 6,000 miles a year. We have a perfectly good 2016 Escape Titanium with "life time" warranty that will cover most none wear items. Had a 2007 Taurus with 140,000 miles. I wanted a new vehicle to replace the Taurus so for $22,000 my current 2022 Hybrid Maverick XL was the answer. There was/is no new vehicle to compare other than the 2023 Hybrid Maverick XL I have on order (If I get it I will sell the 22 (I've added factory cruise switches and power tail gate lock)). If I don't get the 23 I will continue to happily drive the 22 and get the 44mpg I'm getting.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im buying one because I am poor but want a new car for once in my life. I am buying a 3k off Tremor for $29460 because I live on a gnarly jungle road.

Sponsored

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a Honda Element, I liked the utility of it. The looks are an acquired taste. I said many times that Honda missed an opportunity to make an Element small truck. The Element is getting up in the years so I started looking for a replacement. Not much out there! Taco, too expensive. Ranger, kind of pricey and too tall. Frontier S King cab 4 cylinder(2021), priced ok but still terrible MPG.

Then I saw what Ford was offering (By way of the Bronco forum) with the new Maverick. This was the truck I have been waiting for. Price was phenomenal and as later spy shots started coming out, they showed the tailgate and there was a Hybrid badge in the left corner. That IS the base engine and front wheel drive! That was all I needed to see. I built and ordered one as soon as they were available.

I have since put 9000 miles on it and have been very happy with it.

Good Job Ford! Now get busy making all the other adopters happy with their new Mavericks.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Very solid approach to buying a vehicle. For me, it came down to needing something to haul small loads (I don't haul round bales, stock trailers, or heavy equipment), be able to tow a small trailer <4K lbs, get decent mpg's, have some pep to her step, look good, be able to get me through some muddy ranch roads or snowy roads (AWD), have the creature comforts I am accustomed to at my age, and finally.....fit in my garage (I have an odd angled driveway that makes backing out a little tricky: hence that is the side I utilize, and my wife uses the straight in and out side ;)). I've had numerous full size trucks over the years, but don't really need one any more, nor do I want to pay for one. The Mav checked all of the meaningful boxes for me, so that is why I went with the Mav 2.0 Ecoboost, FX4 AWD, 4K tow pkg, Lariat Lux pkg, with the 235/65/17 AT Wildpeaks. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up in about a week :)

Lonnie gee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda and rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reasonable adults are not allowed here!
Yes an very true we mostly older one see, or factor in practicality
,that is usefulness, in decision making balance with above statements wants needs affordability. ,that said I would like to have a maverick,that I never looked for or knew about till I lost my Tacoma in total loss

tkammen270

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav, 92 Legacy, 05 WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought mine because it's the perfect truck for me. Small enough to fit in a one car garage, big enough to haul car parts and tires in the bed, and it can tow 4k pounds if needed. From the styling to the fuel mileage and utility it's literally perfect. For my first ever new vehicle purchase I have been very happy with it.
Sponsored