PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anybody know if the suspension is any different with the FX4? Perhaps the 4K towing might change anything? I was mainly curious about the shocks, this is all I could find.

FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (17S) Availability: ● Opt. on XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● Hybrid ● First Edition Package (59D) Requires: ● AWD Includes: ● 17” Unique Aluminum Wheel ● A/T Tires ● 6.5” Productivity Screen in Instrument Cluster (Std on Lariat) ● Exposed Front Tow Hooks ● FX4 Off-Road Box Decal ● Hill Descent Control ● Skid Plates ● Trailer Hitch Receiver w/ 4-Pin ● Higher Capacity Radiator ● Upgraded Cooling Fan

4K TOW PACKAGE (53Q) Availability: ● Opt. on XL, XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● Hybrid Includes: ● 225/65R17 A/T Tires on FWD XL/XLT Only (T7J) ● 225/65R17 A/S BSW Tires on AWD XL/XLT Only (T7R) ● 225/60R18 A/S BSW Tires (Std on Lariat) (T7Z) ● Trailer Hitch Receiver w. 7-pin Connector ● Transmission Oil Cooler ● Higher Capacity Radiator ● Upgraded Cooling Fan ● Upgraded Drive Ratio (AWD) Optional Equipment: ● 17” Wheel includes 235/65R17 Aggressive A/T Tire (64V/T7F) XLT/Lariat Only
Sponsored

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does anybody know if the suspension is any different with the FX4? Perhaps the 4K towing might change anything? I was mainly curious about the shocks, this is all I could find.

FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (17S) Availability: ● Opt. on XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● Hybrid ● First Edition Package (59D) Requires: ● AWD Includes: ● 17” Unique Aluminum Wheel ● A/T Tires ● 6.5” Productivity Screen in Instrument Cluster (Std on Lariat) ● Exposed Front Tow Hooks ● FX4 Off-Road Box Decal ● Hill Descent Control ● Skid Plates ● Trailer Hitch Receiver w/ 4-Pin ● Higher Capacity Radiator ● Upgraded Cooling Fan

4K TOW PACKAGE (53Q) Availability: ● Opt. on XL, XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● Hybrid Includes: ● 225/65R17 A/T Tires on FWD XL/XLT Only (T7J) ● 225/65R17 A/S BSW Tires on AWD XL/XLT Only (T7R) ● 225/60R18 A/S BSW Tires (Std on Lariat) (T7Z) ● Trailer Hitch Receiver w. 7-pin Connector ● Transmission Oil Cooler ● Higher Capacity Radiator ● Upgraded Cooling Fan ● Upgraded Drive Ratio (AWD) Optional Equipment: ● 17” Wheel includes 235/65R17 Aggressive A/T Tire (64V/T7F) XLT/Lariat Only
Can't remember where I read it now but I saw recently something that listed the FX4 as having monotube shocks as opposed to the standard twin tube.

OP
OP

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found it; thanks

Rear (AWD) N/A Independent multi-link trailing arm suspension with twin-tube hydraulic gas-pressurized dampers, coil springs, stabilizer bar, steel sub-frame and cast knuckle Rear

(AWD/FX4) N/A Independent multi-link trailing arm suspension with mono-tube hydraulic gas-pressurized dampers with hydraulic rebound stop, coil springs, stabilizer bar, steel sub-frame and cast knuckle

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

According to the Maverick's Packaging Guide the FX4 package includes - Off-road tuned shock absorbers.

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I hope they ride better than the FX4 shocks on the Rangers. That thing floated for miles after hitting a bump. Almost every Ranger FX4 owner gets rid of them ASAP.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope they ride better than the FX4 shocks on the Rangers. That thing floated for miles after hitting a bump. Almost every Ranger FX4 owner gets rid of them ASAP.
the Mav (AWD at least) should ride better due to multilink IRS instead of solid axle w/leaf springs like Ranger has. Not sure I'd blame the shocks entirely for Rough Riding Ranger...

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
the Mav (AWD at least) should ride better due to multilink IRS instead of solid axle w/leaf springs like Ranger has. Not sure I'd blame the shocks entirely for Rough Riding Ranger...
I wasn't. I was blaming the shocks for making the Ranger feel like a 1982 Cadillac when hitting a bump or turning. The truck would bounce forever after getting unsettled and in turns it felt like you were riding on a boat rather than anything with wheels. I guess Ford was trying to lessen the body on frame feeling but they overdid it. A set of Eibach Pros in the rear made it right.

Regarding the roughness of the ride, the Ranger isn't terrible there. But I agree that the Mav should be better with the different structure and suspension. Looking forward to it.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I wasn't. I was blaming the shocks for making the Ranger feel like a 1982 Cadillac when hitting a bump or turning. The truck would bounce forever after getting unsettled and in turns it felt like you were riding on a boat rather than anything with wheels. I guess Ford was trying to lessen the body on frame feeling but they overdid it. A set of Eibach Pros in the rear made it right.

Regarding the roughness of the ride, the Ranger isn't terrible there. But I agree that the Mav should be better with the different structure and suspension. Looking forward to it.
Don’t spill your orange crush.

the other advantage of multi link Independent is you are going to have a better chance of having 4 tires on the ground. I had a jag independent suspension in one of my old show trucks. But then it was just TWD in a 4x the more re rubber on the course, the better you can operate the vehicle

Camodude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have driven a Honda Ridgeline for the past 11 years. If the Maverick comes anywhere close to the ride and handling of the Ridgeline, I will be satisfied. Having owned both body on frame and unibody trucks, you cannot compare the two; unibody being far superior.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I have driven a Honda Ridgeline for the past 11 years. If the Maverick comes anywhere close to the ride and handling of the Ridgeline, I will be satisfied. Having owned both body on frame and unibody trucks, you cannot compare the two; unibody being far superior.
You get a like because you know what you like and why. I personally feel like I should have been there when dirt was created kind of old right now and I like frames. Unibodies offer many superiorities, crush zones, better stress points etc etc and are superior to frames is almost every way. But when i could actually work on my own truck cutting into and modifying a unibody was a thing for experts, not the kid slamming a showtruck. Gonna go be old now (sleep)

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I don't have any real experience with the first gen RL but I test drove a 2020 model with the 9 speed transmission extensively. Other than the minivan-ish front end, I absolutely loved it. The ride quality and overall comfort was a large part of that. So needless to say, I was thrilled when Ford came out with a more attractive looking RL competitor. (Even though they are technically not competition because of size)
Sponsored