Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's Ford's other 20k vehicle...

Ford Maverick What Troubles Me About the Maverick... 1645220713173

Are we all waiting on an ecosport with a truck bed? šŸ™ƒ
Sure, sure, it's built on the same platform as the Escape/Bronco, it's just priced way cheaper than the other vehicles that share the platform. No problems there, right?

You look at the 20k car market, used or new, and what do you see?
Mitsibuishi Mirages, Kia Souls, Ford Ecosport/Escapes/Fusions, Chevy Sparks/Trax, Nissan Versas, etc.
Like it or not, Fords lower end models are well-represented in the cheapest cars you can buy category, even in this time of insane inflation. They don't age particularly well. There are quality issues with every vehicle and brand, but the track record for Ford on that lower end of the budget isn't great. Thoughts? Anybody else thinking hey, I might be waiting 6 months for the truck equivalent of an Ecosport? Even typing Ecosport you just cringe a little bit, am I right?

This should be a fun post for all the diehards out there to dump on. Good way to pass the time while we all wait to get scheduled.:ROFLMAO: Happy hunting!
Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Quite literally, time will tell.

But it's also worth noting the Maverick is only a "$20,000" vehicle in the hybrid power train with XL trim and zero options. The truck I ordered, an EB with AWD, FX4 and Lux Package, is just shade under $31,000. Do I expect it to perform like a $50,000 vehicle? No. But do I expect it to perform like a $20,000 vehicle? No!

The EB engine in the Maverick is a proven performer on many other Ford models. Clearly the interior is not opulent, and we've seen complaints about the paint. Other "issues" are regularly reported here on this forum, though this is to be expected of any model in its first year.

Truth be told, I am breaking one of my self-imposed cardinal rules of car buying on this one by ordering a Maverick, as I swear no one should purchase a vehicle in the first year of production. The offsetting factor, of course, is that there is NO OTHER TRUCK I can get with all-wheel drive, off-road package, heated seats and steering wheel, etc., for anywhere close to the price.

So, I guess in the end you are right. The Maverick is either going to prove to be, as so many auto journalists have delcared, "the value of the decade" or "the steal of the century," or we're all going to look back in 5-8 years and say, "Boy, that was an overhyped rust bucket. Glad I didn't get sucked into that trap."

I suppose as someone who has a Maverick on order and is really excited about getting it, I am betting on the former. And since we're here on the Maverick Truck Club, I'm betting I have lots of company!

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm, my Maverick doesnā€™t give off a poor quality feel despite its price.
The toyota Corolla and honda Civic are similar price, but have quality, so why canā€™t the Maverick?
Factories are engineering out a lot of quality issues these days.

HD676

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley, 2007 Shelby GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™ve had my Maverick for 3 weeks now and have no complaints. Feels solid, rides smooth, quiet & comfortable, and has decent power for a 2.0.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not driven an ecosport, and based on what I've heard I hope I never have to drive one. No one knows how the Maverick will age, but pretty much everyone who has reviewed/driven the Maverick (including my personal experience) say the "initial value" for the maverick is there. It's an inexpensive truck that's solid and makes some compromises. There has obviously been cost cutting, but it appears as though Ford has made good decisions on where to save dollars. There's no reason to believe there will be any major drivetrain issues (especially for the hybrid), and that's where I tend to think that 'cheapness' is going to be an issue for most cars.

Sponsored

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Mitsibuishi Mirages, Kia Souls, Ford Ecosport/Escapes/Fusions, Chevy Sparks/Trax, Nissan Versas, etc.
Not sure what the Kia Soul is doing in this list of other shit buckets. It's actually a fine car. Have you driven the turbo? The fun to dollar ratio is amazing.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ecosport suffers from the "it's an SUV, charge more philosophy." The Ecosport was designed for 3rd world countries, upgraded once for Europe, then upgraded again for the US. It wasn't originally meant to be sold here. Really the Ecosport was a Ford Fiesta SUV. With the Maverick Ford seems to have been really focused on making a useful, affordable, yet profitable vehicle. Made in Mexico, using tons of parts bin components, with limited options configurations to keep the build combinations down. Ford's only problem with the Maverick being it's entry level vehicle is that not everyone needs or wants a pick up. Seems like they could still use a smaller crossover in the same price range, like the Chevy Trax and Trailblazer.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do you own or want to own a Maverick?

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, your truck has had ALL of these issues?! You should probably get a refund under the lemon laws.

But if you're just adding up all of the issues that you've heard about, then you should probably stay away from automotive forums--because you'll find similar complaints about every vehicle ever made.

What we don't know is whether or not the Maverick has more issues than other vehicles. Objective data always crushes anecdotes on web forums. It's FAR too early to decide whether the Maverick is reliable or not, because the truck hasn't been out long enough to generate sufficient data.

Sponsored

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5 months none of those issues. The unlevel tailgate is not a reliability issue. Why itā€™s not level I donā€™t know. Doesnā€™t bother me.

I will add the Bronco Sport and Escape currently have good reliability ratings from many reviewers. The Maverick is basically the same vehicle. I also own an Outer Banks BS for 6 months with no issues. Itā€™s used as a daily driver and has made a lengthy road trip. Outer Banks has a nicer interior and materials, but I like the Maverick Lariat design better.

Last edited:

dgnx6

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's Ford's other 20k vehicle...

1645220713173.png

Are we all waiting on an ecosport with a truck bed? šŸ™ƒ
Sure, sure, it's built on the same platform as the Escape/Bronco, it's just priced way cheaper than the other vehicles that share the platform. No problems there, right?

Like it or not, Fords lower end models are well-represented in the cheapest cars you can buy category, even in this time of insane inflation. They don't age particularly well. There are quality issues with every vehicle and brand, but the track record for Ford on that lower end of the budget isn't great. Thoughts? Anybody else thinking hey, I might be waiting 6 months for the truck equivalent of an Ecosport? Even typing Ecosport you just cringe a little bit, am I right?

This should be a fun post for all the diehards out there to dump on. Good way to pass the time while we all wait to get scheduled.:ROFLMAO: Happy hunting!
Hereā€™s the dealā€¦ I would buy those cheaper cars if they didnā€™t all look like complete shit. The Maverick looks amazing. And it actually does drive nice. And Iā€™m on those scorpions.

OP
OP
athertonbt

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure what the Kia Soul is doing in this list of other shit buckets. It's actually a fine car. Have you driven the turbo? The fun to dollar ratio is amazing.
I owned a Soul and it was a blast to drive. Interior reminded me of my Element. Itā€™s the top of the heap of cheap grocery getters.

OP
OP
athertonbt

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hereā€™s the dealā€¦ I would buy those cheaper cars if they didnā€™t all look like complete shit. The Maverick looks amazing. And it actually does drive nice. And Iā€™m on those scorpions.
Solid point. I have a Maverick on order. The Soul would be the only other car in that range I would buy. The rest are what youā€™d call road apples up in the northeast. Pure :poop:
Sponsored