What is the point of my Ford Dealer?

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
If you have had the misfortune of having to hang around a car dealership for any amount of time, it’s easy to see what takes up most of a salesperson’s day. Yes, they may have sales meetings on certain mornings, but in between actual selling duties they just "hang out" waiting for the next sucker. They don’t sit and learn about their product. Most are probably in the game because it requires relatively little education, little challenge, except for maybe having to reach some sales quota. I suspect most just see what they do as a job - an ugly necessity - and have little incentive outside of making a buck. Fortunately for them, most buyers are clueless, and ripe for the taking. Yes, this is probably a gross generalization, but it’s not hard to find the type. In my search for possible stock vehicles, and for possible dealer alternatives, virtually every salesperson I spoke to about Mavericks in my area was clueless, and just spouting generalities, in an attempt to get me to come and see them. I think this retail purchase system has flummoxed most of them. It has certainly confounded me! What’s the point of the dealer? Dealers are simply an unfortunate reality that must be dealt with in order to get a vehicle in our current system. If you must be in shark-infested waters, it is prudent to carry plenty of repellant And keep your eyes open.
Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have had the misfortune of having to hang around a car dealership for any amount of time, it’s easy to see what takes up most of a salesperson’s day. Yes, they may have sales meetings on certain mornings, but in between actual selling duties they just "hang out" waiting for the next sucker. They don’t sit and learn about their product. Most are probably in the game because it requires relatively little education, little challenge, except for maybe having to reach some sales quota. I suspect most just see what they do as a job - an ugly necessity - and have little incentive outside of making a buck. Fortunately for them, most buyers are clueless, and ripe for the taking. Yes, this is probably a gross generalization, but it’s not hard to find the type. In my search for possible stock vehicles, and for possible dealer alternatives, virtually every salesperson I spoke to about Mavericks in my area was clueless, and just spouting generalities, in an attempt to get me to come and see them. I think this retail purchase system has flummoxed most of them. It has certainly confounded me! What’s the point of the dealer? Dealers are simply an unfortunate reality that must be dealt with in order to get a vehicle in our current system. If you must be in shark-infested waters, it is prudent to carry plenty of repellant And keep your eyes open.
My experience be prepared. Sales will definitely take advantage if they can. They are not there to make friends. Making money and paying the bills is the mantra.

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be old but I have educated the dealer about the maverick order availability, priority codes, and allocations since my hybrid order in late June. This forum has been a blessing of information and future posts

Dandylion

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Fit, 2007 Chev Silverado
I have purchased many new and used cars over the years, and have experienced many poor dealerships, but also really good dealerships. As an auto enthusiast (like many in the MTC I'm sure), I spend quite a bit of time researching and learning about a possible intended vehicle purchase, but like Snowcatxx87 said, most people in MTC are NOT average customers. This is a great place to learn, and I, for one, just accept the fact that I will likely know more about a vehicle than the average sales person. I just go to the dealer to get a first hand look at the vehicle, and get a test drive. (Darn- Except this time no way to test drive the hybrid Maverick before I ordered it!)

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The third person at the third dealer I called to convert my reservation has been pretty good, the other two didn’t want to make a phone call to take my money.
This guy only tried to sell me one extra before he realized I knew exactly what I was after. He only messed up one item on the DORA (easy fix, new DORA), and has dealt with me calling him weekly to ask how his day is going, or what he had for lunch, or why the hell Ford has yet to confirm my order. This week he told me they are not even building hybrids (wrong) yet, so clearly he is clueless…but aside from delivering the vehicle has done everything I have asked him to do.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Honestly what is the point of basically any car dealership? My Maverick process has been fine so far, but I've bought so many cars and dealerships are all the same. They all suck.
Truth is they are nothing more than a Middle Man. There to jack up the price another grand.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are car salesmen, this isn't a career for most of them (at least they hope not). The large majority of them did indeed stumble into the job, usually because they didn't currently have a lot of options. The young man I am working with doesn't know even close to as much about the vehicle as I do, but he's pleasant and has returned my emails and calls in a timely manner; that's pretty much all I can ask for.
Exactly. It seems this isn't what they want to do so being responsive is usually the best you can hope for. But as with buying anything, it is usually nice to think the person selling it has some idea about it and if not then give me the 'let me find out real quick'. I would be perfectly fine with that.... just don't tell me something inaccurate if you are just guessing.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Relax. The average consumer orders, and gets a call, it shows up. If you are on a forum, looking to get all the extra nerdy information, you are not an average consumer.
What was the purpose of your introduction "Relax"?
Sounded pretty rude to me. Are you a Car Salesman defending your Peps? Sorta sound like that.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The third person at the third dealer I called to convert my reservation has been pretty good, the other two didn’t want to make a phone call to take my money.
This guy only tried to sell me one extra before he realized I knew exactly what I was after. He only messed up one item on the DORA (easy fix, new DORA), and has dealt with me calling him weekly to ask how his day is going, or what he had for lunch, or why the hell Ford has yet to confirm my order. This week he told me they are not even building hybrids (wrong) yet, so clearly he is clueless…but aside from delivering the vehicle has done everything I have asked him to do.
Sounds like you are dealing with the dealer I spoke to today in Starke FL. The Floor Manager informed me they are NOT building any Hybrids. I told him that is wrong. He argued with me for 5 minutes before he said whatever. That was when I said by and hung up. But he knew way more than I and swore NO ONE was having a Hybrid built and he didn't care what I said or could prove on this forum. Total idiot.

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've ordered custom built from Tesla, Smart (Mercedes), and Ford. Ford has been the worst experience by far and the dealerships are 90% of the reason.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have purchased many new and used cars over the years, and have experienced many poor dealerships, but also really good dealerships. As an auto enthusiast (like many in the MTC I'm sure), I spend quite a bit of time researching and learning about a possible intended vehicle purchase, but like Snowcatxx87 said, most people in MTC are NOT average customers. This is a great place to learn, and I, for one, just accept the fact that I will likely know more about a vehicle than the average sales person. I just go to the dealer to get a first hand look at the vehicle, and get a test drive. (Darn- Except this time no way to test drive the hybrid Maverick before I ordered it!)
I agree with you, but on a side note. That is the cutest dog in your profile. Look like a little stinker. LOL

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The dealership model is as useless as the three tier distributor model for beer and wine. All it does is raise the price for the end user with zero added value

Problem is the models are not going to change due to laws and precedent or want from dealerships to be more consumer friendly. When companies like Costco/Trader Joes/Tesla find new distribution channels to the consumer the old school wells UNFAIR and try to muddy it up through the courts etc

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With all the news this morning with the EPA mileage and Ford press release, my salesman just sent me a text message that my Maverick is still in Mexico with no ETA.

I already knew that via the Ford tracker but hey at least he's trying.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What was the purpose of your introduction "Relax"?
Sounded pretty rude to me. Are you a Car Salesman defending your Peps? Sorta sound like that.
Don't assume things about people. I am not in car sales. Just laying down some facts, looks like you could use the advice as well: Relax.
Sponsored