Sponsored

What is the Maverick? Classified as truck or car?

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question, Some people consider it a truck. some consider it a SUV. My question is when we get our Maverick do we license it as a truck or a car. The Honda Ridgeline is considered a car in some states but a truck in another states.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on the state. In Maryland to register they go by vehicle weight, as in up to 3700 lbs shipped weight is $135 and over 3700lbs is $187

OP
OP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The Speaker Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51 Lariat Lux CP360 SIBL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In CA it may be possible to register as type MV multi purpose vehicle. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
In Georgia it is classified as a PZHybrid (partial Zero emissions hybrid) Truck. Texas I believe it is a truck.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks like a truck outside but it feels like a car inside.

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
In Georgia it is classified as a PZHybrid (partial Zero emissions hybrid) Truck. Texas I believe it is a truck.
Yep, Texas classifies it as a light truck.

Light Truck Transportation Code, Sec. 541.201. Vehicles. In this subtitle: (7) “Light truck” means a truck, including a pickup truck, panel delivery truck, or carryall truck, that has a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less.

armerdcatfish

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In RI it will be classified as a truck. Anything with a bed gets that classification. We also get screwed out of any tax credits for trade-ins.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In RI it will be classified as a truck. Anything with a bed gets that classification. We also get screwed out of any tax credits for trade-ins.
What did they do about el Caminos and Rancheros? I want to think they were cars in the day, but I have slept since then. And someone made a station wagon with a removable (think bronco hard top removable) top for a while.

/bureaucracy

Sponsored

armerdcatfish

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What did they do about el Caminos and Rancheros? I want to think they were cars in the day, but I have slept since then. And someone made a station wagon with a removable (think bronco hard top removable) top for a while.

/bureaucracy

At this point they will get antique plates lol

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point they will get antique plates lol
(redacted), I am a classic not an antique!

all our plates in the Driveway are either HC, PZ or Service plates (Korea retired etc) but I do miss some of those others classic/antique waiting on Tx to Issue (WTFITTSDITR) plates (WTF is that thing still doing on the Road) oh wait that’s what antique means.

side note Nirvana was 31 years ago.
Hotel California was 45.

xiaowei

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Xiaowei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on the state. In Maryland to register they go by vehicle weight, as in up to 3700 lbs shipped weight is $135 and over 3700lbs is $187
then according to MVA (https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/fees.aspx), Maverick 2022 having curb weight <3700 ( https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...22-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf) for FWD, and is defined by MVA as a " Multi Purpose Vehicle" with tag fee $135.
For AWD with eco-boost, since it is 3731 lb >3700, will be defined as a MPV but with $187 tag plate fee.

MAVERICK8011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
Vehicle(s)
Maveruck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
then according to MVA (https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/fees.aspx), Maverick 2022 having curb weight <3700 ( https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf) for FWD, and is defined by MVA as a " Multi Purpose Vehicle" with tag fee $135.
For AWD with eco-boost, since it is 3731 lb >3700, will be defined as a MPV but with $187 tag plate fee.
SO IF YOU ARE IN MARYLAND THOSE THIS MEAN YOU CAN NOT TRANFER TAGS == CAR TO TRUCK???? IS THE MAVERICK A MULTI PURPOSE VEHICLE == CLASS A $135.00 OR $187.00..... CAN ANYOME IN MARYLAND THAT HAS RECEIVED THEIR MAVERICK AND IS ON THE ROAD ,, WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR TAGS??????

Last edited:

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the EPA purposes it'll be classified as a truck, so Ford can lump in all those hybrid mpg's with the other trucks. For registration purposes, every state is different. In my state of CT I can register it as a passenger vehicle or get combo plates, but the combo plates cost more.
Sponsored