Sponsored

What is driving huge demand of Super Duty trucks?

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From this article, it sounds like the number of orders is going off the charts. What is driving the demand for these? I assume mpg is like 7 and I always assumed that the F150s could tow enough for horses, ATVs, motor homes,most motor boats. Are people buying these to haul huuuge boats? The article mentions million dollar homes, but how many people actually have those. Everybody buying these isnā€™t George Strait.Maybe tons of jackhammers, heavy construction equipment in the bed? I was surprised at the priceā€”$44,000. Always assumed these were a lot more than an F150 which was starting at $40,000 this Summer. Anyway, they are selling a gazillion of these.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...uper-duty-orders-set-insane-pace/69695780007/
Sponsored

Last edited:

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I was needing a work truck and it was $40k for 1/2 ton,, and $44k for a 3/4 ton. I'm buying 3/4 ton.

I saw a super duty tremor on a dealers lot about 6 weeks ago. It was $88k, and it was sold.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you need a heavy duty truck for hauling or pulling an RV or for construction work of any kind Ford offers the best trucks out there for most people. Like everything else, there has been a shortage of these for the past few years due to chip constraints. Why there's a pent-up demand right now. And the prices they aren't anything close to the $40,000, most of the ones I've tested are $80 - 90k. ;)

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
See it all the time around me. Someone has a 12' aluminum boat and a 5hp Johnson that they put in the water once a year so they go buy an F350 so they can pull it. If they drive to the hills to go deer hunting once a year, they gotta buy a 3/4 ton diesel at least. Usually gotta install the biggest small pecker package they can get with the most ridiculous wheel combo.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People wanting the best full size truck.

1200 ft lbs and 500 hp in the 2023 PSD does not hurt. LOL

The SDs Iā€™ve looked at are ~$100k

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They haven't been able to keep up with demand for the last >2.5 years. They're not building as many trucks as they were. They're not building the volume of dealer stock trucks that customers demand, so customers have to order them and wait. Some of them have been waiting at least as long as the longest Maverick waits.

Recall scenes like this one, where they have repeatedly had to stockpile unfinished Super Duty trucks at Kentucky Speedway, waiting on chips and other parts.

https://www.fox19.com/video/2022/09...cks-fill-kentucky-motor-speedway-parking-lot/

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to tow an enclosed car trailer with an F-150. After a wind gust on I-90 put me in the next lane before I could react, I moved up to a SuperDuty. If you are contractor, hauling anything of significant weight, plowing snow, etc., a 3/4 or 1-ton truck is a much better choice than a 1/2-ton.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought my SD right before covid so prices werent crazy yet but I know there were huge supply issues shortly after and they havent been able to keep up with demand, not unlike the Mav. SDs are typically used for commercial/industrial applications but also have a big following with RV tow crowd. Thats what mine is used for, you cant beat the stability the chassis provides compared to an F150. Brakes, frame, suspension, motor/trans/axle longevity all far superior and makes a very comfortable and safe tow rig...these big RVs act like a sail in the wind and around 18wheelers going 70mph on the interstate so its not just the weight rating you have to look at.

Deppizzymo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These are all practical reasons listed above but around here it's "who has the biggest/nicest truck" :D

I have a 1985 F250 IDI and I wouldn't trade it for anything even after it has given me a lot of headaches after initially taking ownership of it.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From this article, it sounds like the number of orders is going off the charts. What is driving the demand for these? I assume mpg is like 7 and I always assumed that the F150s could tow enough for horses, ATVs, motor homes,most motor boats. Are people buying these to haul huuuge boats? The article mentions million dollar homes, but how many people actually have those. Everybody buying these isnā€™t George Strait.Maybe tons of jackhammers, heavy construction equipment in the bed? I was surprised at the priceā€”$44,000. Always assumed these were a lot more than an F150 which was starting at $40,000 this Summer. Anyway, they are selling a gazillion of these.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...uper-duty-orders-set-insane-pace/69695780007/
My guess is construction companies are replenishing their fleets. We see lots and lots of new pickups with numbers on the tailgate.

Sponsored

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My partner is a Flooring Contractor. His trailer is heavy and he needs a 3/4 ton minimum. He won't get a 1 ton because CA registration costs jump dramatically.

He needs a new truck, but at the cost they are, he just keeps reviving the 2004 Ram 2500.

David F

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My BIL just got his new SDF350 turbo diesel to pull an airstream. Cost him 80k (loaded) but gets 21mpg highway, 17mpg city, and 14mpg pulling the trailer. Funny thing is its the same atlas blue and my converted Maverick order that I have been waiting 15 months for. Can't wait to see them side by side.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford Maverick What is driving huge demand of Super Duty trucks? need HD truck

The F150 is more of a light duty truck. Fine for going to The Home Depot for your weekend project.

But for real work even with light trailers and loads you can hit the max gross vehicle weight too easily. Just look at some of the threads here talking about towing with the maverick. Trailer tongue weight, Weight of any stuff in the truck, Weight of passengers.

The F150 does a great job of being both a daily driver, driving like a car, and doing light pickup work too. But for a lot of stuff you need a HD truck.

In one of the posts here talking about towing with the maverick someone pointed out that with the planed trailer one of our members was going to tow they needed the driver to weigh 150 LBS max or they would be over weight. Also see all the post about the danger of being over max weight and the questions of would your insurance even cover you if you crashed when overloaded?

It is great we have options.
Some people need 80% car 20% truck, the maverick is great for this.
Some 40% truck Like an f150
Some 90% truck Like a superduty

Some need need 110% truck Like the photo above. I have a friend with a ranch and they work their trucks like trucks every day, some of the truck almost never leave the ranch, like this truck hauling hay to pasture.

Max towing weight is why most people I know with Superdutys have them. 5th wheel trailer camper, goose neck horse trailer, or a hitch pull car or box trailer.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People like big trucks. Most people are not pulling horse trailers & moving 500 hp motors with those things, they're putting tools in the back or pulling a bass boat.

It's America, look at the size of restaurant meals.

Also, Gas is still cheap, even when it's expensive.
Sponsored