Sponsored

What happens when you ceramic coat your truck?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I immediately rushed to Walmart right after and bought it when I watched the video but when I tried to apply it, it was like rubbing grease onto the paint, I couldn't buff off the haze no matter what so I went back to Griot's garage Best of Show spray wax.
I tried their ceramic detailer and had the same experience with persistent streaks. The TW Ceramic Wet Wax works much better; accelerates drying and buffs clean.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious what the benefits of a ceramic coating are compared to just using a good quality spray wax every other wash?
The ceramic coating chemically bonds to the paint creating a clear coat layer that is actually thicker than the paint. It increases resistance to scratches and chips and shines like polished glass. I saw a cutaway photo of a piece of sheet metal showing the layers through a microscope. It was amazing how thick the ceramic layer is.

I was skeptical, now I'm sold. Gonna ceramic mine when it comes in. Time will tell if it was worth it.

ETA I am referring to the kits that run $200. Done properly it looks amazing. It is time consuming and technique sensitive. The cheap shit from walmart ain't it.

Jelvismc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you watch Project Farm's video about it on youtube? Lol

I immediately rushed to Walmart right after and bought it when I watched the video but when I tried to apply it, it was like rubbing grease onto the paint, I couldn't buff off the haze no matter what so I went back to Griot's garage Best of Show spray wax.
I just got some of Griots spray Ceramic 3 in 1 wax wi SiO2 it did an amazing job(like all Griots products) reasonably priced and easy application

OP
OP
Nunyabiznus

Nunyabiznus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing I liked most about doing it myself. Is the satisfaction of a job well done. When I got the clay bar done I thought this is going to look good. After the ceramic went on. I was like this is insane. Never seen anything look so good

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are light a lot of money for something that has zero tangible value. #snakeoil
LOL, That statement only confirms you know absolutely zero about the subject..

A correct, high quality complete vehicle prep followed by a high-quality ceramic coating like gtechniq is an order of magnitude better than any car wax.

I have a few of my fun cars coated and had my new Black TRX truck prepped and ceramic coated when I purchased it in January. I daily drive drive it several times a week, it's now July and the truck literally has not had a single drop of soap (or anything else) on it since coating. It sits outside, has been through the worst Spring pollen, tree sap, bird crap, mud, dirt, etc. Once a week I hit the exterior with a high-pressure water spray, absolutely zero additives, etc. then drive it to dry. After it's dry it absolutely looks like it was just detailed, the finish is as mirror perfect as the day it was coated it, and it's Black.

Correct professional preparation and high-quality ceramic coat is a game changer.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ceramic coating chemically bonds to the paint creating a clear coat layer that is actually thicker than the paint. It increases resistance to scratches and chips and shines like polished glass. I saw a cutaway photo of a piece of sheet metal showing the layers through a microscope. It was amazing how thick the ceramic layer is.

I was skeptical, now I'm sold. Gonna ceramic mine when it comes in. Time will tell if it was worth it.

ETA I am referring to the kits that run $200. Done properly it looks amazing. It is time consuming and technique sensitive. The cheap shit from walmart ain't it.
Ah, I never knew it was thicker than the paint. If that's true in most scenarios, I'll probably do it on my next car. I thought it was just a glorified wax that wears off after a year.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you watch Project Farm's video about it on youtube? Lol

I have not, but I've had good luck with Turtle and Meguier's stuff so they tend to be my go to products for the most part. I have not had any issues with application of the Turtle hybrid ceramic spray. Pretty much behaves like a spray wax/quick detailer just with much, much better results. For me anyway.....

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have not, but I've had good luck with Turtle and Meguier's stuff so they tend to be my go to products for the most part. I have not had any issues with application of the Turtle hybrid ceramic spray. Pretty much behaves like a spray wax/quick detailer just with much, much better results. For me anyway.....
Cool. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something. I use Meguiars interior products like detailing spray and leather wipes (for my other car). Their no rinse wash and wax that comes in the white bottle works really good too.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah, I never knew it was thicker than the paint. If that's true in most scenarios, I'll probably do it on my next car. I thought it was just a glorified wax that wears off after a year.
I wish I had saved that pic because I can't find it to save my life. They had cut through some automotive sheet metal and took a close up photo with a microscope. You could clearly see the thickness of the metal, paint layer and ceramic layer. Unfortunately it also could have been faked. It's the internet, who knows? When somebody has something to sell everything is suspect.

Dunno exactly how long it lasts. Detailers talk about maintaining it so I guess there is upkeep involved. I honestly don't know how long it lasts or how to maintain it because I've never done it. As I said, it's expensive, time consuming and technique sensitive.

I would guess there is also some variation in the quality of the kits from different vendors. Given the expense I will do a lot more research before diving in. But from what I've seen it seems worth trying.

Czl04

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
You are light a lot of money for something that has zero tangible value. #snakeoil
Smartest thing you ever said. Total gimmick.
Sponsored