M-C Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve heard many comments about the bed and how it’s too short to be of any real use, that it’s not a real truck bed, etc. Today I loaded a 9’ sectional couch (both parts) in the back, drove it 20 miles (half freeway, half city), and got an average of 35 mpg. I could have taken 4 passengers along as well. Show me another non-EV vehicle that can do better.

Ford Maverick What good is a 4.5 foot bed? Good for 35mpg while carrying 9’ sectional couch 96FA7471-ACD1-4A47-8409-AD197DD990A1
Sponsored

Mitchell Lorens

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve heard many comments about the bed and how it’s too short to be of any real use, that it’s not a real truck bed, etc. Today I loaded a 9’ sectional couch (both parts) in the back, drove it 20 miles (half freeway, half city), and got an average of 35 mpg. I could have taken 4 passengers along as well. Show me another non-EV vehicle that can do better.

96FA7471-ACD1-4A47-8409-AD197DD990A1.jpeg
Nice job bet you got some envious looks to

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have mine yet, but while I agree with your sentiment I have to admit that does look a bit terrifying...
9ft long means the center of gravity was quite literally mathematically spot on the tailgate hinge. My straps are from Harbor Freight and I'm rethinking that choice...

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No pic, but I picked up a insulation blowing machine and 15 bag of insulation. Worked for me.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The very first day after I drove my Mav home, 2 buddies with full size pickups asked me to help them move a fridge because they both had 1 piece hard tonneau covers and couldn't put the fridge in thier truck beds.

4.5 feet works just fine for most moves/chores.

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far, I have filled the box of my Maverick with two full loads of maple firewood, each load between 1500-1800 lbs. I have hauled a garden tractor, queen mattress, and multiple loads of mulch.

The bed is tough. Most important is the proper securing of a load.

GonnaGetItOneDay

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento (sold in September)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The very first day after I drove my Mav home, 2 buddies with full size pickups asked me to help them move a fridge because they both had 1 piece hard tonneau covers and couldn't put the fridge in thier truck beds.

4.5 feet works just fine for most moves/chores.
That, my friend, is hysterical!

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have mine yet, but while I agree with your sentiment I have to admit that does look a bit terrifying...
9ft long means the center of gravity was quite literally mathematically spot on the tailgate hinge. My straps are from Harbor Freight and I'm rethinking that choice...
Why are you terrified about the hinge? The tailgate - and it's hinge - is rated at 500lbs in the fully down position, so you'd likely be fine there, unless you have to move some monster, concrete based sofa. Personally I'd have thrown a strap over the top as well, but that's just me. Hopefully OP slapped the load and said "that's not going anywhere" after tightening it down 😂

Upgrade your straps if you'd like, but I've used all kinds and haven't had any issues with HF ratchet or cam straps. And if you'll being carrying long, heavy items often, you can always invest in a hitch extender to alleviate some of your concerns.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why are you terrified about the hinge? The tailgate - and it's hinge - is rated at 500lbs in the fully down position, so you'd likely be fine there, unless you have to move some monster, concrete based sofa. Personally I'd have thrown a strap over the top as well, but that's just me. Hopefully OP slapped the load and said "that's not going anywhere" after tightening it down 😂

Upgrade your straps if you'd like, but I've used all kinds and haven't had any issues with HF ratchet or cam straps. And if you'll being carrying long, heavy items often, you can always invest in a hitch extender to alleviate some of your concerns.
Oh I'm not worried about the payload - the hinge is probably stronger than the rest of the bed with "reinforcement and such" it was more about the CG shifting behind the hinge when accelerating. My HF straps hang up sometimes when really pushing them - i.e. they don't want to release without some jiggling. Than again, not wanting to release is better than not wanting to engage... 😬

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

"slapped the load and said "that's not going anywhere"" Is that a reference to Robby Layton on YouTube?

Sponsored

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Robby Layton
Nope. Just a meme of us carrying XY chromosomes. I think it's also true. I've not ever been able to not do it, ever. Even if it's only in my head, I have to say it. Every. Time.
Ford Maverick What good is a 4.5 foot bed? Good for 35mpg while carrying 9’ sectional couch Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 11.50.50 AM

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also have HF straps among others. I would have backup straps in case one broke or slipped (one possibly needed near the end of the couch to prevent the strap around the end from vibrating down. Properly strapped down if if pickup can be flipped on side and load stays where it's loaded.👌

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I think it's better to slap the strap than the load so you can tell by the pitch of the note how tight the strap is? 🤔

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it's better to slap the strap than the load so you can tell by the pitch of the note how tight the strap is? 🤔
I'm half deaf and I can't rely on sound. So I slap the load. MUST. SLAP. THE. LOAD!
😂

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"slapped the load and said "that's not going anywhere"" Is that a reference to Robby Layton on YouTube?
This saying has been around way before that dude
Sponsored