ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are Autolamps and when shouldn't I use them?

I drive around with my XL's exterior lighting control set to Autolamps, because I like the added safety of daylight running lights. However I wonder if there are times when my headlamps and tail lights are not on, perhaps on sunny days? Or sometimes at night?

I've gotten out of the truck to look and I think I've seen the tail lights on at some times and off at other times, but I don't know if that's because I have to switch into "Park" before I get out. I can't ask my wife to look because after 9 or 10 months I'm not allowed to talk to her about Mavericks any more.

Last weekend I had to drive into Boston to take someone to the airport. Driving home at night on an 8-lane highway I thought that more than one driver flashed their lights at me in my rear view mirror, so I wondered if my tail lights were on or off. I switched to "Headlamps On" just in case. You should know that I-93 has overhead lights plus there were a million cars driving towards me and also behind me with their headlights on - could this confuse the "Autolamps" sensor? Another possibility is that no one was actually flashing their lights at me; they were just bouncing over New England pot holes.

I've Read The Ford Manual several times and wish there was a better explanation about how "Autolamps" works.

Ford Maverick What are "Autolamps"? t1
Ford Maverick What are "Autolamps"? t2
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd say the last passage from the manual is a pretty concise answer. When it's dim enough or the wipers are on, it turns the headlights on, but there's circumstances you may need to turn them on manually. You'll know if they're on because the light icon on the instrument cluster illuminates. Also typically if it's because it's dark enough the IC/infotainment will go into its dimmer, night mode.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't ask my wife to look because after 9 or 10 months I'm not allowed to talk to her about Mavericks any more.
I'm still waiting on delivery and so I can't help you with lights, but I can suggest that if you get interested in Bitcoin your wife will BEG you to talk about the Maverick again.

Bootstrap6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda 3 Hothatch Grand Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tried to ask my family member that has a maverick to see what they say but they never really paid attention. My Mazda has auto lamps and all they really do is during the day stay on because they are the daytime running lights and at night/low light they turn on high beams and low beams depending on on coming traffic or if there are cars in front of me. Brakes aren't lit during the day but will automatically come on when the wipers are deployed or its dark enough. I also have auto wipers which is wild too and im still not used to that. I figure your system works almost the same in terms of the headlights/taillights

Sponsored

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
My experience with autolamps in a F-150 has been meh. If it's a rainy overcast day, the headlights will turn on and off as I drive. Now, it's not the headlight part that drives me nuts, it's the dash panel lights turning on and off as the headlights do that is very annoying.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leave my auto lamps ON 24/7. I also have my drls ON, but my auto high beams OFF.

This gives me added visibility during the day, auto lamps at night, but allows me to control when the high beams come on because they were a bit funky imo.

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leave my auto lamps ON 24/7. I also have my drls ON, but my auto high beams OFF.

This gives me added visibility during the day, auto lamps at night, but allows me to control when the high beams come on because they were a bit funky imo.
That’s what I do too!!!
Sponsored