Sponsored

Ways to identify Hybrid vs EcoBoost with tailgate badges removed?

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One can pretty easily distinguish an AWD (which is, of course an EB) from a FWD by looking at the rear suspension. The AWD has an independent set up that is easy to spot. Beyond that, the only way I can think of to easily tell the difference between a hybrid and a non-hybrid just from the exterior is to look at the VIN through the windshield. An EB engine should have 9 as the 8th digit, a hybrid should have a 3.
Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Is the exhaust in the same place and same size?

OP
OP
baaron

baaron

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the exhaust in the same place and same size?
I've been trying to find undercarriage photos to compare. I don't think they are.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been considering removing the "hybrid" badge from my tailgate as an additional deterrent for catalytic converter thieves. I understand it would be difficult to steal, but I'd rather they not even bother to try.

It got me thinking... What ways can one identify whether a Maverick is a hybrid or an EcoBoost from the exterior?
I think thieves already know which vehicles to target. Word should get around in the thief community that the Mav isn’t a viable target.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid catalytic converters contain more of the valuable metals and can fetch 800 to 1500 dollars at a recycle center that does not ask questions. Up to 250 for a gas engine. These figures vary considerably, dependent on model of vehicle and associated rare metals. A bit of an advantage for the Maverick, I would guess, is that it is lower to the ground than larger trucks.

I have not really looked at the standard Mav alarm system. If it goes off from vibration, that might help. If you park your Mav in the driveway, it might help to have a motion detector light. Finally, you can buy an alarm for the CC. I know nothing about them, but I understand they are several hundred dollars.
Motion activated lights are not a deterrent for thieves. They are helpful for the Police IF they happen to be passing by.
If your light goes on while sleeping are you going to jump out of bed and check? Camera's we're effective 20yrs ago when nobody knew. Now criminals wear face cover. Alarms and a welded strap or two is the best deterrent.

Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
The cameras help alert me. The big dog or Smith & Wesson alert the trespasser.
If you are bold enough to come on to my property with your face covered and intent, I definitely feel threatened for mine and my families lives.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Motion activated lights are not a deterrent for thieves. They are helpful for the Police IF they happen to be passing by.
If your light goes on while sleeping are you going to jump out of bed and check? Camera's we're effective 20yrs ago when nobody knew. Now criminals wear face cover. Alarms and a welded strap or two is the best deterrent.
12 gauge with 4-shot and a 1000 lumen barrel spot works every time after a camera alert to my phone ;)

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The cameras help alert me. The big dog or Smith & Wesson alert the trespasser.
If you are bold enough to come on to my property with your face covered and intent, I definitely feel threatened for mine and my families lives.
Big yes to guard dog!! Camera alert will be triggered a lot if you have cats and wild animals around.

People still cover faces in public if needed. In my state that argument wouldn't be good enough. Now a drop gun or knife . . . .

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You may be right about a motion detector light not deterring a "pro" criminal and , if they are good, it only takes a few minutes to get the Cat. C. Perhaps only honest people would be deterred, but I doubt the thief would like being bathed in light while doing this.

I live in the middle of 80 acres. The light is on the corner of my house by my bedroom. My wife is a light sleeper. My 12 gauge is loaded with buckshot. The first round will be discharged skyward; the second may not!!

Rdj1ss

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Would be interested to see a citation for that statistic. On its face it is somewhat counter-intuitive - as hybrids make up such a small percentage of all vehicles, presumably the black market would skew to catering to the majority.
It's in reference to all those Prius owners getting their catalytic converters stolen.

Sponsored

Rdj1ss

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I have been considering removing the "hybrid" badge from my tailgate as an additional deterrent for catalytic converter thieves. I understand it would be difficult to steal, but I'd rather they not even bother to try.

It got me thinking... What ways can one identify whether a Maverick is a hybrid or an EcoBoost from the exterior?
Honestly I think the badge is it, I think the tail pipes are different but you would have to get under the truck to see it.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i suppose if's you're really worried about then just swap the hybrid badge out for an ecoboost ;)

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Puzzled because catalytic converters (of whatever type) have been mandatory equipment on all U.S. vehicles for more than 40 years. Whether a hybrid or not, your Maverick has one.
Mandatory only because they convert exhaust gas to something more benign.

There is no (government) mandate to have them.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Come to Portland, Oregon and see for yourself. The 2nd and 3rd gen Prius are the #1 targeted for thieves. I rode in a Lyft and the driver was telling me he had his stolen three times off of his 2012. He had to pay $500 out of his pocket each time, because that was his deductible.
another good reason NOT to visit Portland
Sponsored