First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The original Hornet was made by AMC, like the Javelin. Did Dodge buy AMC or just the name?
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ahhh, got the 2.0 Hurricane engine. Gotta love that liquid cooled exhaust manifold for virtual instant heat in the winter. LOL.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ahhh, got the 2.0 Hurricane engine. Gotta love that liquid cooled exhaust manifold for virtual instant heat in the winter. LOL.
Didnt' know about that, neat, thanks! Researching more about the transmission as people were warning me about it.

Its an interesting design anyway:

Of course back when this video was made in 2015, I know they had issues though, and I think there was a big recall too. Supposedly FCA has been given rights to customize the software for their engines and average customers though to fix the logic so its not gear hunting too much, but still researching how successful that's been by 2022.

Has me a bit nervous!

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just an update, that it sounded like the Dodge Hornet was going to become a Ford Maverick 2.0 deal where the wait would be forever, so unfortunately I won't be able to update y'all on that for quite a while and then probably only a test drive since I have given up and picked up a Nissan Rogue off the lot...

Yes, yes, the ultimate NPC-mobile, but its in gray to match my gray NPC status:
Ford Maverick Wanted a Maverick, but missed my shot, ordered a Dodge Hornet Dmx4MA0UYAER5Ea

Ford Maverick Wanted a Maverick, but missed my shot, ordered a Dodge Hornet Capture.JPG

Just going to get the chrome pieces wrapped in gloss black, plastidip the "ROGUE" emblem on the back, getting a hitch installed (only 1500lbs tow rating though), and calling it a day! Amazing fuel economy so far, says 37.8mpg on the computer (pure highway) will have to wait until tank is empty to see if that's BS or not.

Cross your fingers for me that the CVT doesn't blow up! 🤞

BTW, for those curious, the Rogue recently got a very cool engine upgrade via the new 1.5T, a tiny three cylinder engine with true variable compression ratio. One of our Mavericktruckclub forum members, Sam Haymart @TestdrivenTV, explains it here:

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IDK man, that's like the ultimate letdown to me. From a Maverick...to a Hornet...to a Rogue?

You literally went from two very exciting new vehicles to something that is about as run of the mill as you can get. Best of luck to you, but I'm going to do my best to forget this post ever happened...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From a Maverick...to a Hornet...to a Rogue?
In this market, gotta go with what you can get! 😅

I also drove a Kia Sportage Hybrid which is very cool, but it was a 13 month wait list or a huge markup, and my morals won't allow me to pay one penny over MSRP which is already a ripoff IMO. I also drove a Mazda CX5 and CX50 which were contenders, but CX50 has no lower trims yet (you can't get a CX50 without a pano moonroof for example which I'm not fond of) and the Mazda felt tighter but honestly the 1.5T seemed like a much nicer engine than the base non-turbo 2.5/6-speed combo in the Mazda.

But yeah, Savagegeese already said the same, that its the most painfully normie vehicle ever, but honestly its not bad vanilla pudding, and the three banger is actually pretty torqy w/ 225ftlbs:

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm so glad I gave up on the promise of a November latest December pickup date for my ordered Dodge Hornet!

As of 5/9, I finally have a VIN, but still no word on when it will ship out of Italy, six months past the promised pickup date.

To add to that, EPA has now tested the Dodge and its a bit worse than I anticipated:
Ford Maverick Wanted a Maverick, but missed my shot, ordered a Dodge Hornet Capture.JPG

So far my Rogue has been doing well peaking over 40mpg on my commute, so only 24mpg combined is quite the drop. And now that we see real world pictures of what a base version looks like without the upgraded wheels, yech, they really messed up the 17" wheel offering the offset seems jacked.

IMO the "blacktop" appearance package is a must because of this, but it does add to the cost again (or you'd have to at least invest in aftermarket wheels):

The Blacktop wheels make it look like a different vehicle:

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm so glad I gave up on the promise of a November latest December pickup date for my ordered Dodge Hornet!

As of 5/9, I finally have a VIN, but still no word on when it will ship out of Italy, six months past the promised pickup date.
And people here act like Ford is alone in production limitations.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The original Hornet was made by AMC, like the Javelin. Did Dodge buy AMC or just the name?
Before the merger forming AMC, it was the Hudson Hornet.

Sponsored

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hopefully the 9 speed holds up for you, it hasn't for most people.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully the 9 speed holds up for you, it hasn't for most people.
I'm not sure I'm even going to get it. I originally ordered without the blacktop, but added it the next day, when checking up they said they got it adjusted but now that I finally have my VIN I can see they never did change the original order.

The silver wheels look soooo bad! But then again, for the price of the blacktop, I can probably get my own wheels anyway after market, but I don't know if I could live with the fuel economy penalty. I'll probably end up keeping the rental-grade base Rogue I picked up, and wait to see if there's a cool mid cycle Maverick refresh or something that might make me trade-in.

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AMC is a 'dormant' brand owned by Stellantis which owns: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram, and Vauxhall

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AMC is a 'dormant' brand owned by Stellantis which owns: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram, and Vauxhall
All junk!

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Order finally came in, and declined it. :(

Very nice interior, even with the cloth which is a high quality look. Front seats are very comfortable, and everything is easily at hand with no sea of gloss black. Floating infotainment is very high resolution with a great 360 camera. Standard big digital cluster is nice. No complaints on that front.

Handling is very flat, firm but not overly stiff (unlike our Charger Scat Pack), very thin steering wheel with quick turn ratios, and feels tight like a Mazda CX5/30. Shifts were positive and fine, but of course much more noticeable than a CVT that most of the time just glides around at a fixed RPM which is very boring but more comfortable for passengers.

Interior in the back is quite cramped, and overall feels much like a CX30, so not the most practical unless you just have children in the back seats.

Overall, very similar competitor to the sister vehicle Alfa Romeo Tonale of course and to the Mazda CX-30 turbo, and is priced similar to the turbo. I would recommend the Hornet with tech package and blacktop package over the CX-30 Turbo.

Word of caution: The blackout package (or track pack) are a MUST. Our order was screwed up, and we got the base wheels, and they are hideous sunken into the vehicle with narrow tires and completely transform the vehicle into looking like a freshly squeezed economy turd. Aftermarket wheels at present are almost non-existent in selection with its unique bolt pattern and offset requirement checking all the major websites.

With the very poor trade-in value offered, big drop in practicality/roominess, and geo-metro wheels, had to pass:
Ford Maverick Wanted a Maverick, but missed my shot, ordered a Dodge Hornet basehornetwheels

Ford Maverick Wanted a Maverick, but missed my shot, ordered a Dodge Hornet basehornetwheels2

^That's the reason you only see blacktops in the press fleet... yech! :sick:
Sponsored