First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Sport Wagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have followed the Maverick since the start and regret not ordering one last year however an order of 2023 XL (Hybrid with Tow Hitch, Drop In bed Liner, Atlas Blue) which seems to be perfect for my needs for the family needs and allows me a fun and economical way to support my scuba diving, biking kayaking and camping beach trips and DIY requirements. It has everything I need and including the MPG. I also never had the opportunity to have a new vehicle and thinking in the current market this is the best option over getting a second hand car at a similar price.

I really do not plan to tow or off-road but the utilitarian versatile options the Maverick offer seems the perfect fit for me and budget I do not need the refinement or luxury items in the higher trims and my only concern with the XL is how the Rims will look. Unfortunately my mini van engine went and my wife and I are sharing a Golf SportWagen currently this is working well as I working from home but not ideal however for the next year should not be a major problem.

However my concern with all the negativity on the forum about the possibility of not getting a 2023 Hybrid I am concerned that I wait a year and not get one. I am working with a great dealer and one of their first orders so have hope that will be lucky. I have been looking at the VW Tiguan SE and find several CPO 2019/20 for a similar price to the Maverick while this is comparing Apples to Oranges however both have similar options size and cargo size and both practical for my needs.

The Tiguan benefits over the Maverick
  • Has possible a more refined interior with heated leatherette seats, Leather steering wheel, 8inch screen good info and sound system, Dual A/C and vents in the rear, huge moon roof
  • Third Row seating or cargo space
  • Similar remaining warranty 6 years 70K so will match 3yr of Maverick
  • Additional Tech, Blind Spot Heated mirrors, Proximity key and start and locks, alarms etc.
  • Better Rims than XL
  • German Engineering and can drive immediately.
  • Will not need to purchase accessories for bed etc.

The Bad
  • MPG 23/29 this is a major benefit for me about the Maverick
  • Not a versatile as has no bed and is not a truck
  • Will have 20-30 K miles and not new will most likely need to replace Brakes, Tires batteries etc.
  • Not as fun as the Maverick and bit boring in styling and performance.
  • Due to the market the price has not depreciated much since 2019 and expect next year will lose value
  • Possible less reliable and higher maintenance costs.
  • Lot more than I normally spend on a second hand really would like a new vehicle this time especially due to the price being the same.
  • It is not a Maverick 😊
My current thinking is to hope for the best and have faith that Ford will deliver and possible look at this again in the spring to see if I been scheduled and/or second hand markets gone down. However it is tempting to just buy the VW and leave the stress behind. I don’t really want to purchase the VW and trade in when the order is ready as think I lose too much. I have a limited budget so for a new Vehicle the Maverick is the best option. I do plan to keep Maverick for many years and very excited about the prospect.

Just wanted to see what people think especially those that have waited for over a year for their Maverick.
Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean comes down how important a bed is too. Personally if you cant get one after 2 years lets say id punt get get colorodo used or slighty used plenty of those around or ranger.

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me, the bed is nice, but I don't use it much, I could've gotten by with an SUV and a trailer. I may still end up with a trailer... I have the hybrid though, I drive 60 miles to work everyday, and it's nice to have the fuel economy. That's tough to find in an SUV and stay in the price range of an XLT... I've always been concerned with a used hybrid, the maverick eased that concern.

jdiaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XLT Lux 2000 Boxster 1970 VW Westy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We've owned a number of VW's over the last 15 years and had really good experiences. Our Mexican-built GTI and Golf Sportwagen TDI were flawless and easily matched the German-built GTI and Passat wagon. If VW still offered a Passat wagon in the US, we would own one, as that size was perfect for our family.

taylor_

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will say that my wife has a 2018 Tiguan SEL and it's a great car.

Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unable to recommend VW.
Limited dealer points. Expensive maintenance. Example DSG transmission maintenance . Pentosin fluid. (go ahead and use non-recommended fluids, I dare you) Expensive parts.

German engineering is quite enjoyable when it's under warranty. Would not own if not leased or under warranty.

I've owned many VW over the years and will not own another one. I'm wiser now.
They were reliable and dependable at average to above average in my experience.

VW. Just don't.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree with the above post -- VWs are fun/fine when new, but I'd never ever want to own one out of warranty.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have followed the Maverick since the start and regret not ordering one last year however an order of 2023 XL (Hybrid with Tow Hitch, Drop In bed Liner, Atlas Blue) which seems to be perfect for my needs for the family needs and allows me a fun and economical way to support my scuba diving, biking kayaking and camping beach trips and DIY requirements. It has everything I need and including the MPG. I also never had the opportunity to have a new vehicle and thinking in the current market this is the best option over getting a second hand car at a similar price.

I really do not plan to tow or off-road but the utilitarian versatile options the Maverick offer seems the perfect fit for me and budget I do not need the refinement or luxury items in the higher trims and my only concern with the XL is how the Rims will look. Unfortunately my mini van engine went and my wife and I are sharing a Golf SportWagen currently this is working well as I working from home but not ideal however for the next year should not be a major problem.

However my concern with all the negativity on the forum about the possibility of not getting a 2023 Hybrid I am concerned that I wait a year and not get one. I am working with a great dealer and one of their first orders so have hope that will be lucky. I have been looking at the VW Tiguan SE and find several CPO 2019/20 for a similar price to the Maverick while this is comparing Apples to Oranges however both have similar options size and cargo size and both practical for my needs.

The Tiguan benefits over the Maverick
  • Has possible a more refined interior with heated leatherette seats, Leather steering wheel, 8inch screen good info and sound system, Dual A/C and vents in the rear, huge moon roof
  • Third Row seating or cargo space
  • Similar remaining warranty 6 years 70K so will match 3yr of Maverick
  • Additional Tech, Blind Spot Heated mirrors, Proximity key and start and locks, alarms etc.
  • Better Rims than XL
  • German Engineering and can drive immediately.
  • Will not need to purchase accessories for bed etc.

The Bad
  • MPG 23/29 this is a major benefit for me about the Maverick
  • Not a versatile as has no bed and is not a truck
  • Will have 20-30 K miles and not new will most likely need to replace Brakes, Tires batteries etc.
  • Not as fun as the Maverick and bit boring in styling and performance.
  • Due to the market the price has not depreciated much since 2019 and expect next year will lose value
  • Possible less reliable and higher maintenance costs.
  • Lot more than I normally spend on a second hand really would like a new vehicle this time especially due to the price being the same.
  • It is not a Maverick 😊
My current thinking is to hope for the best and have faith that Ford will deliver and possible look at this again in the spring to see if I been scheduled and/or second hand markets gone down. However it is tempting to just buy the VW and leave the stress behind. I don’t really want to purchase the VW and trade in when the order is ready as think I lose too much. I have a limited budget so for a new Vehicle the Maverick is the best option. I do plan to keep Maverick for many years and very excited about the prospect.

Just wanted to see what people think especially those that have waited for over a year for their Maverick.
Hard call. Which will you regret after, do you think, a year? Personally, I'd go for the utility and that would be the Maverick.

OP
OP

Pwoodward

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Sport Wagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you everyone will wait for the Maverick and only look at other options if the MY23 does not work out.
Sponsored