First Name
Lucius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got my Maverick last weekend and promptly proceeded to throw the dogs in the back for a ride around some farm roads. They're attached to harnesses, so they can't jump on the side of the truck. However, they can stand on the strip of metal just under the rear window. Over time, this is going to get scratched up. I had another scare yesterday when I was loading my bike into the bed and the fender scrapped over this area - no damage, but my heart sank for a moment. My Initial idea is to cut out a strip of canvas or leather that can be attached with Velcro, but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears. I'm bummed that Ford doesn't have something here to protect this vulnerable strip of metal.

Ford Maverick Vulnerable Bed Paint Painted Bed Sill
Sponsored

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my Maverick last weekend and promptly proceeded to throw the dogs in the back for a ride around some farm roads. They're attached to harnesses, so they can't jump on the side of the truck. However, they can stand on the strip of metal just under the rear window. Over time, this is going to get scratched up. I had another scare yesterday when I was loading my bike into the bed and the fender scrapped over this area - no damage, but my heart sank for a moment. My Initial idea is to cut out a strip of canvas or leather that can be attached with Velcro, but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears. I'm bummed that Ford doesn't have something here to protect this vulnerable strip of metal.

Painted Bed Sill.jpg
There are a number of clear paint protectant films if you want the color, otherwise maybe extent the bed liner coating?

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe some heavy duty black outdoor tape? Or you can buy that 3M paint protectant film on eBay and apply it there

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just noticed watching a video of the Maverick that the spray in liner covers that strip of metal just under the rear window. Wonder why they are not doing this on production units... For example go to the 4 minute 30 second mark on this video and you will see. It also shows it covered when you do the build on Fords website. I think this is a problem.

Last edited:

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just noticed watching a video of the Maverick that the spray in liner covers that strip of metal just under the rear window. Wonder why they are not doing this on production units... For example go to the 4 minute 30 second mark on this video and you will see. It also shows it covered when you do the build on Fords website. I think this is a problem.
I think the answer is that for anyone that puts a tonneau on (as I am sure many will), that area will likely need to have a weather strip seal applied - that wouldn't be able to be done if there was the spray-in bedliner coating the area.

Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
3M protection film is probably the way to go. Still allows for a smooth surface for any tonneau cover to seal if you wanted to put it on.

If you're never going to do that, maybe just mask it off and rattle can bed liner spray? No guarantee if the color will match but if you take your time and do it properly, that little area up there shouldn't see too much use where I'm sure the spray would hold up fine.

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take some clear packing tape and apply it over the paint for protection. It is cheap, easy to apply, trim and remove in case you need a new one. It'll hold up outside for a while and since it's clear won't be seen. It's wide enough to trim to the exact size you need too.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take some clear packing tape and apply it over the paint for protection. It is cheap, easy to apply, trim and remove in case you need a new one. It'll hold up outside for a while and since it's clear won't be seen. It's wide enough to trim to the exact size you need too.
I wouldn't do packing tape... that is not meant to have constant sun and element exposure. It would dry up, crack and could leave glue residue stains on the paint (I've seen a lot of Florida drivers try to attach their bumpers this way...). They sell protectant tapes/film just for this purpose. The price difference is negligible.

33ft of it for $16

OP
OP

Lucius

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lucius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the answer is that for anyone that puts a tonneau on (as I am sure many will), that area will likely need to have a weather strip seal applied - that wouldn't be able to be done if there was the spray-in bedliner coating the area.
Makes sense about the toneau cover.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to purchase a 2" strip of 3M from Amazon and see how that goes. I actually don't mind the Area 51 showing, but I don't want scratches all over the place.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense about the toneau cover.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to purchase a 2" strip of 3M from Amazon and see how that goes. I actually don't mind the Area 51 showing, but I don't want scratches all over the place.
If you want that texture, you could do a skateboard grip tape type film. They sell those too.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have watched many tonneau cover installs on YouTube with spray in liners with that area covered. No one mentions it as an issue with install.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a number of clear paint protectant films if you want the color, otherwise maybe extent the bed liner coating?
I was thinking the same. Buy a can of bed liner coating and tape it off and just extend it to cover it. 👍 Be a pretty inexpensive fix as well. That's what I would do.

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't do packing tape... that is not meant to have constant sun and element exposure. It would dry up, crack and could leave glue residue stains on the paint (I've seen a lot of Florida drivers try to attach their bumpers this way...). They sell protectant tapes/film just for this purpose. The price difference is negligible.

33ft of it for $16

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I hadn't though about the sun since I'm in the northeast. But we do get heat up here.

I ordered a roll of this for the door sills though as my dog loves to use that area to get out and it would be nice to have that extra protection.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good point. Probably not wise to put bedliner there if you ever plan on doing a tonneau cover.
Sponsored