Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
but the linkage is not held mechanically, the engine can be spinning while the wheels are not. the piece that transfers power to the wheels is the larger of the two electric motors.
If the wheels are stationary and the motor is running then it is just turning the Start/Generator Motor and generating power.
Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
It's hard to look at it from a growth perspective, which is what finance normally seeks to achieve.

Look at it more like a retirement fund that's not replenished very often (fuel-ups).
- you have long term investments (gas tank) that you tap rarely, preferably at market peaks (highest efficiency).
- you also have short term, liquid investments (battery, terrain) you tap to keep the car moving.
- the goal is to keep moving with least damage to those fragile long term investments, which can be lost completely (idling).

"Pulse and glide" is as simple as cashing in retirement investments and putting the money in the bank, then living on it as long as you can, given the traffic and the weather and what, maybe a pandemic? Sorry, I'm a retired engineer. This is how I actually see it.
Note: the unit of energy, 1 Megajoule = 0.277778 kWh

Energy parsing diagram Escape.jpg
THANKS for this. I watched both videos twice and really didn't understand the process, but I'm just a dumb contract negotiator (retired). Your graph and explanation made sense to me.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
My neighbor owns a Transmission shop. He says to avoid cvt, but I'm ordering it anyway.
True for CVT, that's why we call the 3-shaft version an eCVT. Best we can do.
I've been trying to understand this for so long but couldn't see power output can be greater the MG2. If you find more info. Please share.
I understand that somehow they are combined, but what makes that a reasonable thing to do? theres no direct linkage between the ICE and the wheels.
There used to be a nice interactive Flash demo of the power split device (PSD) invented in 1972 by TRW.

As the videos show, the motors and ICE are connected through the PSD, sun, planets and ring. These are common in automatics, but always with stop clutches to activate the gear change. This is different because it uses non-zero shaft speed to control torque.

The secret is in the nature of electric motor/generators. They work both ways, both ways. You can spin them in either direction, and you can add or remove energy in either direction. By changing speed, voltage level and frequency, the "charger" MG can be run at any speed, +/- 10,000 RPM. It can be a flywheel (just spinning), a motor (adding torque) or a brake (generating electricity), independent of ICE, and independent of the "torquer" MG that's tied to the wheels.

An eCVT is a classic case of three variables, but only two constrains, ICE and torquer/road speed. Everything is independent.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is an even better video to learn about how the toyota/ford hybrids in question work in more detail. Especially to illuminate how the ICE fits into the system, the other video doesn't explain it. This one is the Rav4 hybrid, very very similar to Ford’s since they come from the same lineage I believe.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll never feel more dumb than when an engineer explains things with perfect imagery and clear communication and I'm still lost.
You are not alone. The presenter is slow paced, boring and the graphics are lacking

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is an even better video to learn about how the toyota/ford hybrids in question work in more detail. Especially to illuminate how the ICE fits into the system, the other video doesn't explain it. This one is the Rav4 hybrid, very very similar to Ford’s since they come from the same lineage I believe.

Much better

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True, because that starter/generator is inside the transmission
The transmission part of it sounds like it should be much more reliable than a traditional 8 or 10 speed automatic as the eCVT has so very few parts to it. One, and the only drawback that I can see is that a backyard mechanic will probably not want to swap out the starter/generator motor as it is an integral part of the transmission and a little more difficult to remove and replace compared to a traditional ICE/starter or alternator.
I don't think there will be a need to replace the starter because this starter is much stronger than traditional starters and is brushless

Beesoldhouse

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford fusion hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the hybrid transmission has been very reliable in the Prius, does anyone know about Ford's reliability?
I drive a 2018 fusion hybrid and I'm 80k and no issues, from what I gather from my Ford mechanic buddy is the batteries will fail before the tranny ever does, and the batteries last realllllly well.

Sponsored

Dionharris

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick 2011 f150 2016 transit connect
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wonderful simplified explanation. If you have the time, watch this extensive video. This one actually shows the gear driven newer eCVT. The video posted above is the earlier Prius chain drive.
I still don’t get how the transmission changes ratios unlike a traditional trans or belt style cvt]. Please explain if you can

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still don’t get how the transmission changes ratios unlike a traditional trans or belt style cvt]. Please explain if you can
My understanding is that electric motor supplies the infinite ratios.

AREA52

First Name
MikShea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XL
After owning NISSAN CVT tech for many years just know a CVT ( no matter what technology version) is never in the rpm and torque range your expecting!

8 speed 2.0 eBOOST!!!

OP
OP
SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After owning NISSAN CVT tech for many years just know a CVT ( no matter what technology version) is never in the rpm and torque range your expecting!

8 speed 2.0 eBOOST!!!
Isn’t Nissan CVT using belts to provide “gearing“? I would think that would be slow to react to throttle input. The Ford/Toyota approach is pretty torquey and returns good 0-60 times.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

8 speed 2.0 eBOOST!!!
The Nissan CVT and the Maverick planetary CVT are entirely different designs that function in entirely different ways. Trying to compare them is an indicator of someone who doesn't know a lot about this.
Sponsored