Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
You engineers should imagine this from a finance-geek perspective (like myself) ...
It's hard to look at it from a growth perspective, which is what finance normally seeks to achieve.

Look at it more like a retirement fund that's not replenished very often (fuel-ups).
- you have long term investments (gas tank) that you tap rarely, preferably at market peaks (highest efficiency).
- you also have short term, liquid investments (battery, terrain) you tap to keep the car moving.
- the goal is to keep moving with least damage to those fragile long term investments, which can be lost completely (idling).

"Pulse and glide" is as simple as cashing in retirement investments and putting the money in the bank, then living on it as long as you can, given the traffic and the weather and what, maybe a pandemic? Sorry, I'm a retired engineer. This is how I actually see it.
Note: the unit of energy, 1 Megajoule = 0.277778 kWh

Ford Maverick Video shows how eCVT works in a Toyota/Ford vehicle Energy parsing diagram Escape
Sponsored

Last edited:

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Very interesting... I liked it until they got to adding a chain... is that the same in the Ford system? I also realize changing the oil in these hybrids systems will be really a must-do to keep them running a long time.
I plan on this being my last truck.... and I want it to last a long time

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very interesting... I liked it until they got to adding a chain... is that the same in the Ford system? I also realize changing the oil in these hybrids systems will be really a must-do to keep them running a long time.
I plan on this being my last truck.... and I want it to last a long time
No chain. That video is of an early generation Toyota. Watch this one for Ford:

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That was a great tutorial. I am really jazzed about actually being able to afford a hybrid for 20K +. Oh and it has 4 doors and a bed to haul stuff too!

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
I'm still unclear how the vehicle can be rated for a higher power output than MG2 that is connected to the wheels, how can that be 126hp but the vehicle rated for 191? It seems that no matter what else is going on the power to the wheel will be limited by the force that can be applied by the electric motor driving the wheels.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
combined HP of both motors

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
My neighbor owns a Transmission shop. He says to avoid cvt, but I'm ordering it anyway.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My neighbor owns a Transmission shop. He says to avoid cvt, but I'm ordering it anyway.
That’s because the only ones he has seen is the “cones and belt” cvt. The eCVT in the Maverick is totally different, all gear drive. Search the forum, videos of the workings of the Ford eCVT have been posted multiple times. If you take the time to watch your concerns will disappear.

OP
OP
SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I owned a transmission shop, I too would recommend that you buy a vehicle that uses a much more complicated traditional transmission that is more likely to fail and need repairs compared to a modern simple eCVT. :)

Sponsored

brictor

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
brictor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm still unclear how the vehicle can be rated for a higher power output than MG2 that is connected to the wheels, how can that be 126hp but the vehicle rated for 191? It seems that no matter what else is going on the power to the wheel will be limited by the force that can be applied by the electric motor driving the wheels.
I've been trying to understand this for so long but couldn't see power output can be greater the MG2. If you find more info. Please share.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand that somehow they are combined, but what makes that a reasonable thing to do? theres no direct linkage between the ICE and the wheels.
They are though. Both the ICE and electric motor are mechanically connected to the drive wheels so both are able to contribute power. It's not a series hybrid (which are actually a pretty rare configuration automotively) where only the electric motor drives and the engine just generates power.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
They are though. Both the ICE and electric motor are mechanically connected to the drive wheels so both are able to contribute power. It's not a series hybrid (which are actually a pretty rare configuration automotively) where only the electric motor drives and the engine just generates power.
but the linkage is not held mechanically, the engine can be spinning while the wheels are not. the piece that transfers power to the wheels is the larger of the two electric motors.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
but the linkage is not held mechanically, the engine can be spinning while the wheels are not. the piece that transfers power to the wheels is the larger of the two electric motors.
There
Sorry, you are off base. You need to take the time to watch this video, then you will understand that there are instances where the gas engine is directly connected to the drive.
Sponsored