clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a rough cut video for educational purposes only. Stock "fake" Hybrid engine sound examples are shown first up to about 3 minutes, then the rest is testing without the fake sound.

Federal law requires Hybrid Vehicles with electric-only operation to make fake engine noise on roadways to alert pedestrians when traveling 19mph or less, or when driving in reverse. This applies to all new vehicles since 2019. Please be safe.

This was purely an educational test to show the difference in sound with and without fake engine noise. Stock and Modified recordings were made on different days, slightly different driving, etc. This is not a scientific test.

Sponsored

Last edited:

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How was this done? Programming via Forscan? Cable disconnected?

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How was this done? Programming via Forscan? Cable disconnected?
Essentially a resistor that pretends to be the speaker so that the computer doesn't throw errors at you. I'm editing a relatively crappy video that shows my blundering process of removing the driver's wheel, fender felt, and then you have either have better tools to help you, or you are like me and torturously contort your hand inside a metal and wiring gauntlet and fumble around until you disconnect the wiring harness from the speaker with one hand. And then get a sudden downpour of rain before you are finished. It was not fun.

https://www.megaohmmotorsports.com/product/ford-psbk-ece

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a rough cut video for educational purposes only. Stock sound first up to about 3 minutes, then the rest is testing without fake sound.

Federal law requires Hybrid Vehicles with electric-only operation to make fake engine noise on public roadways to alert pedestrians when traveling 19mph or less. This applies to all new vehicles since 2019. Please be safe.

This was purely an educational test to show the difference in sound with and without fake engine noise. Stock and Modified recordings were made on different days, slightly different driving, etc. This is not a scientific test.

Is the beeping noise what is heard inside or outside the truck ? Is there a switch to turn the fake driving noise on and off ?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a rough cut video for educational purposes only. Stock sound first up to about 3 minutes, then the rest is testing without fake sound.

Federal law requires Hybrid Vehicles with electric-only operation to make fake engine noise on public roadways to alert pedestrians when traveling 19mph or less. This applies to all new vehicles since 2019. Please be safe.

So I'm not sure what I was hearing in "Stock" portion of the video. Sounds almost like a "beeping" noise, was that the fake noise? 🤔.
I will say that the Maverick is really quite even with the motor running or you have really loud birds in your neighborhood! 😆

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I'm not sure what I hearing in "Stock" portion of the video. Sounds almost like a "beeping" noise, was that the fake noise? 🤔.
I will say that the Maverick is really quite even with the motor running or you have really loud birds in your neighborhood! 😆
"Stock" is meaning the regular fake noises of the Hybrid Maverick. When you're in Reverse gear there is a type of "sonar ping", as others have described it. When in Drive gear there is a low growl-ish hum, up to about 25mph, whether or not the ICE is running.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the speaker is outside the vehicle cabin, behind the driver's side of the front bumper. The sound you hear inside the cabin is just what noise makes it from that speaker into the cabin from the outside. The stereo system does not make a sound inside the cabin.

And yes the neighborhood is relatively quiet and the birds are relatively loud lol. But also this is recorded with a GoPro Hero 7 black which has two microphones for stereo sound. It is not terrible but also not the most "true" audio experience. But I think it does a decent job comparing background ambient noise with "active" noise at least for a quick illustration of the differences. The Hybrid Maverick makes so many sounds aside from the fake noise, it's a chatty vehicle heh.

Last edited:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Stock" is meaning the regular fake noises of the Hybrid Maverick. When you're in Reverse gear there is a type of "sonar ping", as others have described it. When in Drive gear there is a low growl-ish hum, up to about 25mph, whether or not the ICE is running.

And yes the neighborhood is relatively quiet and the birds are relatively loud lol. But also this is recorded with a GoPro Hero 7 black which has two microphones for stereo sound. It is not terrible but also not the most "true" audio experience. But I think it does a decent job comparing background ambient noise with "active" noise at least for a quick illustration of the differences. The Hybrid engine makes so many sounds aside from the fake noise, it's a chatty vehicle heh.
OK that explains the "ping" noise. I think the video gives an excellent example of a Maverick in the wild. The go pro setup was a near to being there experience IMO. Maverick doesn't seem to be very loud as compared to the Tacoma, which by the way was a nice comparison!

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Already ordered the bypass just waiting for my truck to show up next month I hope 🤞

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a switch to turn the fake driving noise on and off ?
I like this idea of turning the "fake driving noise" On or Off with a switch or maybe a Bluetooth App on your phone.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like this idea of turning the "fake driving noise" On or Off with a switch or maybe a Bluetooth App on your phone.
Unfortunately making a physical switch will be a significant ordeal. My best research so far shows that you need at least one FEMALE wiring harness connector like the one on the end of the cable that connects to the speaker in the front bumper area. The speaker and the megaohm unit are both male connectors that plug into the female end of the wiring harness.

That female connector, whatever it is, I cannot find online. Once you have that, though, you can extend a line coming from the speaker and also extend the wiring harness connection itself, so you can connect both of those items in a more suitable location with a custom relay/switch/whatever your heart desires.

I still wonder if there isn't a way to get into that feature in ForScan, since the builds for ecoboost would have it disabled, and the hybrids would have it enabled? I still haven't delved into ForScan at all yet.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a rough cut video for educational purposes only. Stock "fake" Hybrid engine sound examples are shown first up to about 3 minutes, then the rest is testing without the fake sound.

Federal law requires Hybrid Vehicles with electric-only operation to make fake engine noise on roadways to alert pedestrians when traveling 19mph or less, or when driving in reverse. This applies to all new vehicles since 2019. Please be safe.

Sure, it's nicer without the noise, but you don't want to ever hit a pedestrian who stepped out in front of you because they didn't hear you coming. The lawyers would skin you alive! "Sir, can you tell the court why you felt it was fine to disable a safety device installed by the manufacturer to warn pedestrians of your approaching vehicle?"
Disabling safety devices, even if they are annoying, is a BAD idea.

crashdumie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the sounds it make is low speed or while in reverse is for the blind. so people who are visually impaired notice a car is coming.
at speeds over 25mph the sound is off, because at that speed and the distance of hearing, if they heard it or not they will still get hit.
i have this on my 2020 escape, it is annoying to hear but better than the alternative and hitting someone. especially if they inspect your car afterwards and notice it was disabled...
Sponsored