Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are the chances Ford will issue a recall for this problem? My Maverick is currently dead in my driveway - again.
Since the vehicle doesn't explode, and the wheels stay on, I'm guessing that Ford won't voluntarily issue a recall. Unless, of course, the NHTSA decides that it's a safety issue to have trucks randomly fail to start. Personally, I think a recall is justified, but I don't work for Ford or the NHTSA.

But I do think that there will be a TSB once Ford decides how to fix it quickly and has parts available...
Sponsored

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has there not been a few reports of it dying while going down the road?

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1663331831770.png

COMPATIBLE METAL MATERIALS – GALVANIC REACTION

"KISS"
so, based on this, we could use any of the other metals, except copper.

what kind of metal is the mounting post? Also, does the leftover solder present an additional metal/potential problem?

Ducky2022

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so, based on this, we could use any of the other metals, except copper.

what kind of metal is the mounting post? Also, does the leftover solder present an additional metal/potential problem?
Has anyone CONFIRMED the wire material??? It can also be tinned copper wire. Would need to cut the end off and check the center of the wires. See pictures for example:

Lucarl

First Name
Luanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000, Mazda CX-5, Jeep wrangler
Since the vehicle doesn't explode, and the wheels stay on, I'm guessing that Ford won't voluntarily issue a recall. Unless, of course, the NHTSA decides that it's a safety issue to have trucks randomly fail to start. Personally, I think a recall is justified, but I don't work for Ford or the NHTSA.

But I do think that there will be a TSB once Ford decides how to fix it quickly and has parts available...
Well since my dealer refuses to acknowledge that a problem exists, I guess I'm getting no closer to a fix.

Sponsored

vertigo12369

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could check material at the other end of the cable. It would be very surprising to see a dip soldered, unsealed Al wire connection. The busbar/fuse piece is plated Cu (current does not flow through post so it’s likely steel for higher clamp force). Remember this is a cheap car. Cu wire is produced and handled at higher volumes than Al and therefore is less expensive - raw material value not withstanding.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope hes not using that copper lug on that aluminum wire cable, that is a huge fail.
And if the dealer is putting these in repaired Mavs its a big mistake, its not IEEE code, and to speak frankly its a fire hazard.

Check out what happened in the 60s and 70s with aluminum wiring in contact with copper. Some houses burned...

Hes a good tech, but a bad metallurgical tech.

I watched his video last night and saw it was the connector where he missed the 3v at the fusebox.
Hello Mr mach 1, again. We do need to have coffee sometime. To refresh I have Hybrid FE lariat made in Jan 22. I majored in math & physics very little chemistry. Job experience residential construction, plumbing & HVAC, mainframe programming 1970's, real estate, pipeline ROW. So 50+years since other than occasional look at p table and anything metallurgic. I have not experienced any electrical issues like sleeping or dead 12v battery. Bottom line. Since Ford is warranting hybrid drive components (whatever is actually covered ?) for 8yrs/100k miles, corrosion protection on some electrical deserves extra expense. Other than the few pictures I see on this site along with the exposed plated connectors, etc. I expect that the battery harness will be plated copper or aluminum wire with enough coverage to not allow any pitting that could enable oxidation. With the referencing of the solder being hard to heat for some attempting a repair I expect to see cupronickel plating with silver solder joining the harness to the end. Also note that copper in alloys can be real close to aluminum in color. Would be nice to have material specs.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You could check material at the other end of the cable. It would be very surprising to see a dip soldered, unsealed Al wire connection. The busbar/fuse piece is plated Cu (current does not flow through post so it’s likely steel for higher clamp force). Remember this is a cheap car. Cu wire is produced and handled at higher volumes than Al and therefore is less expensive - raw material value not withstanding.
I would expect post and nut to be titanium instead of steel, 40% lighter and less conductive.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree. Tried to check the battery end this morning, the safety cover was a bear to remove, then the termination is covered by a plastic housing. Negative cable is bare copper though. Sorry there wasn't something definitive.

I'm going to pick up a dual metal rated connector to throw in the tool box just in case.

Cheers.

Sponsored

vertigo12369

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Titanium? Can't tell if you're kidding or not. :oops:

Cheers.
I’m right there with you. Anyway, rewatched that repair video in full resolution. The failure mode looks like separation in the ultrasonic weld between the eyelet and wire. This attachment method increases odds of wire being Al. Solder study confirms some type of plating (tin, nickel, zinc, or some combination) on the eyelet. This would support an Al wire weld to a Cu base material.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Makin, right it seems to be aluminum, its large gauge like 2/0 or larger. Its a long run with weight conservation in mind.
Both ends are soldered/welded to sheet metal which is not ferrous(i checked) and covered with a paste, before heat shrink.
Its some kind of non-traditional joint, theres also some type of pressure bar mark across the cable indention. So its either pressure welding, or resistance welding, i dont think its dipped. As the whole 'lug' is not covered. It is a high tech joint done under very controlled process conditions, and heat is very high. Its very possible alloys are involved. No way is it even close to traditional soldering!
Makin, yes i think it would be to our benefit to sit down brainstorm some of these problems over a cup of coffe, or soda, or whatever.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Makin, right it seems to be aluminum, its large gauge like 2/0 or larger. Its a long run with weight conservation in mind.
Both ends are soldered/welded to sheet metal which is not ferrous(i checked) and covered with a paste, before heat shrink.
Its some kind of non-traditional joint, theres also some type of pressure bar mark across the cable indention. So its either pressure welding, or resistance welding, i dont think its dipped. As the whole 'lug' is not covered. It is a high tech joint done under very controlled process conditions, and heat is very high. Its very possible alloys are involved. No way is it even close to traditional soldering!
Makin, yes i think it would be to our benefit to sit down brainstorm some of these problems over a cup of coffe, or soda, or whatever.
Yes and using a copper lug like shown in the video is not the way to solve this. https://www.edtengineers.com/blog-post/aluminum-connections

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What everyone is missing is a 12v not 110 big difference
Sponsored