Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uh,here in Ohio there is this place called Lordstown,where Chevy pulled out of an already built plant not to mention leaving a hefty American workforce without a means of income.
So a factory that's already owned by another company and just sold for $230 million. Also Ford would need to pay to fill with all of that expensive automated equipment that Hermosillo already had a lot of.
Sponsored

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So a factory that's already owned by another company and just sold for $230 million. Also Ford would need to pay to fill with all of that expensive automated equipment that Hermosillo already had a lot of.
We are doomed.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

Tourguide

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And all the US plants weren't already built? They just as easily could have built the Bronco Sport and Maverick alongside the stablemate Escape in the Louisville plant, and likely would have if 15% tariffs had been in place. Just kind of sad that Honda and Hyundai have no problem building their smaller trucks in the US, and Cars.com actually gave the Ridgeline a more American-made index score than the F-150. Definitely one aspect I'm not happy about, jumping on the outsourcing bandwagon.

Did we ever figure out if there are any US made parts in the Maverick? I know the topic came up before, but it seems Ford didn't publish it anywhere at the time at least, so I'm guessing its very low.
Nothing much we can do about where they are build except pi## and moan and that's not going to change anything. Aren't the hybrid transmission build in the USA??🤔🤔🤔

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Thanks for sharing. most things are now very different from when I grew up in Detroit during the heyday of the auto industry, but one thing is not: Those assembly line workers may have a lot of automated assists, but it’s still a grueling, repetitive job that requires a certain personality type to be able to return to day-after-day. in many ways it’s still a hands-on job that requires attention to detail and a certain dedication and concern for the final product. I appreciate every worker in that facility.

Tourguide

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People seem to be saying "employees look diligent and taking this seriously"

I'll remind you that you need to take this video with a grain of salt In that regard. This video was planned. They know they are being filmed, and I am sure certain things are being exaggerated by the workers. I can bet they slow/stop the line to get some of these shots too.
All ways a Doubting Thomas in the crowd 🤔🤔

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Uh,here in Ohio there is this place called Lordstown,where Chevy pulled out of an already built plant not to mention leaving a hefty American workforce without a means of income.
The rust belt, you have a great workforce. I live in CO and much of our manufacturing is moving your way. CO is the new CA....tough to watch. We in CO have a labor shortage, but that because our workforce would rather sit around to gain a check than put forth some effort.

Sponsored

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape and 2018 F 150
I did not know that the Maverick and Bronco Sport were built on a mixed line like that. I just assumed it was one, then the other. All one type for X amount of vehicles, and then a complete switch. By week, or by month. And maybe they don't actually mix them like it appeared in the video. But it sure appeared that way.

Thanks for posting the video!
Ford uses a system called AVS to control and schedule the builds by CID number. It's a pain in the butt and batch building would be easier for the workers but that's how life at the big blue oval goes.

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape and 2018 F 150
It looks very heavily automated, and if so, why couldn't they build the plant here in the United States? The excuse is usually the "American labor rates are too high", but it doesn't seem super labor intensive, and with automation like that the jobs it creates would be decently high paying desirable ones to program and maintain that sophisticated equipment.
All the Ford assembly plants look similar and use the same kind of equipment. Ford doesn't care where the facility is located.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford doesn't care where the facility is located.
Of course they do! All the multi-national OEM's are challenged with these very complex decisions. Don't think for a minute these decisions are made quickly over a beer. It is extremely complex, with nearly countless scenarios to factor in.

Sure, I wish we could keep all our US company manufacturing in-house, and we can certainly do better, but to act as if these are casual, flippant decisions is very naive.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for posting this video and still photos. I've toured the Harley facorty in York, PA a few times and It's always amazing to me to see automation in action like this. I just think of all people involved to get that robot to do its thing precisely over and over. Accurately welding, bending, installing so quality products are made, and yet still have enough human interaction to give Maverick a personal touch. Very cool to see. Thanks again! 👍
Been thru the Mercedes, Audi, York Harley Plant, and Porsche Plant 3 times...and always get a kick out of people who popo use of Bondo, but in reality even the highest quality manufacturing clean up the rough edges and joint seams with something similar to Bondo. Manual assembly of the Maverick had way more manual efforts than I'd expect. The Mercedes plant is 100% robotic except the dash board installation...the only thing humans did was manually keep parts installed in bins.

Regarding why build in Mexico...as mentioned above big part of it is Mexico does not allow vehicles to be sold in their country without heavy tariffs (15-20%) unless the manufacture (Ford) has plants in their country, plus Ford and Mazda joint ventured the plant in Mexico for the Ranger back in the 1990's and were building 80,000 Rangers, etc back in later 1990's. Plus real estate and employer taxes are far less for employers. No doubt US union organizers discourage US companies....when they dictate a share of the profits...currently happening to Carrier A/C and Caterpillar. Companies are motivated to be profitable and sometimes have to fight to be profitable.

What is not in the video is the "Stamping" operation. Hundreds of body work components looking like pieces of a puzzle are pickup up by a magnetic robot arm and inserted into a steel press and out pops a door or hood, or A pillar support frame that immediately go to robotic welding operations. The MAVERICK on the trail gate was not easy, and a nice touch. Robots are no where near a complicated as they look...I work in the field...it's simply a machine that can memorize taught motions and can repeat those motions....not necessarily that complicated.

If interested:
Porsche Factory Tour - LewisandClark (smugmug.com)

Last edited:

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Sweet! Plus we got to see the infamous team in charge of sealing…
Sponsored