First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What we are hearing, what I am hearing sounds like metal on metal contact.
Not combustion. Not "dieseling".

It is a rattle, a vibration, a clank, a clatter. Some part or parts are too loose, too tight, too much clearance, not enough clearance, upsized, downsized, wrong sized, bent, crooked, mis-matched, mis-designed, too weak, too strong, or otherwise not right.

Maybe it was a poor batch during a pandemic and can be repaired with a similar part or parts of better match or better quality.

I cannot see any pathway where octane of fuel would cause this or remove this, but of course, a pretty cheap experiment. But then are you all resigned to pay for premium fuel for the lifetime of this vehicle? A vehicle, that has lower effective compression than most vehicles on the road?
According to someone's post they tried higher octane and the shudder was reduced but still occured.
OK as I see it the clatter clank or whatever occurs upon ice shutdown whether at any speed or even while parked in garage. I have heard what I consider 0-several (3-4?) noises I don't consider should happen. Easy experiment just turn off ready status while ice is running. I would expect when request to shut down is sent to the computer the computer would shut fuel off and AFTER an appropriate length of time (really short but quite a few nanoseconds) after enough cycles to burn the fuel past the shutoff point AND the fuel being preheated for the next combustion. Consider if some fuel was unburnt during combustion cycle additional fuel added and was burning during intake cycle would that slam a valve shut or ? Would this result in God knows what. Perhaps engine braking should be engaged for several microseconds to slow down the momentum of the ice more rapidly? Additionally at what point in shut down procedure is the parking Paul engaged and how would the planet gears handle that if ice is currently furnishing x% of torque. In as much as the shudder doesn't start sometimes for many miles and appears to worsen as time goes by the shudder seems to be wearing or hammering a clearance larger. Yet again also. I believe the drive motor and generate/starter motor were downsized and rpm was increased to keep power levels at least as much as the prior motors.
Sponsored

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to someone's post they tried higher octane and the shudder was reduced but still occured.
OK as I see it the clatter clank or whatever occurs upon ice shutdown whether at any speed or even while parked in garage. I have heard what I consider 0-several (3-4?) noises I don't consider should happen. Easy experiment just turn off ready status while ice is running. I would expect when request to shut down is sent to the computer the computer would shut fuel off and AFTER an appropriate length of time (really short but quite a few nanoseconds) after enough cycles to burn the fuel past the shutoff point AND the fuel being preheated for the next combustion. Consider if some fuel was unburnt during combustion cycle additional fuel added and was burning during intake cycle would that slam a valve shut or ? Would this result in God knows what. Perhaps engine braking should be engaged for several microseconds to slow down the momentum of the ice more rapidly? Additionally at what point in shut down procedure is the parking Paul engaged and how would the planet gears handle that if ice is currently furnishing x% of torque. In as much as the shudder doesn't start sometimes for many miles and appears to worsen as time goes by the shudder seems to be wearing or hammering a clearance larger. Yet again also. I believe the drive motor and generate/starter motor were downsized and rpm was increased to keep power levels at least as much as the prior motors.
It can't slam the valve shut. I'm beginning to think it's a run-on with some sort of ICE to transmission damper thing that makes noise. Hopefully it's not jamming gears so to speak in the Hybrid drive unit.
P.S. Did Ford reach out to you on this forum? He did me. A case was opened so hopefully there will be some investigation from Ford into this as it appears to be a bit of a common problem. (if there are enough complaints)

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It can't slam the valve shut. I'm beginning to think it's a run-on with some sort of ICE to transmission damper thing that makes noise. Hopefully it's not jamming gears so to speak in the Hybrid drive unit.
P.S. Did Ford reach out to you on this forum? He did me. A case was opened so hopefully there will be some investigation from Ford into this as it appears to be a bit of a common problem. (if there are enough complaints)
I do not have one of my hybrids in shop for this or 12v battery. So no reason yet for Ford to ask me for PM. I am fighting a nightly 0.1-0.2 loss of volts on battery so I have to ready mine for 45-90 minutes every third to fourth day. This is serious in that max capacity of charge will slowly reduce to not having enough capacity to last one night and Maverick will feel sleep. On the shutdown of the ice noise. It certainly sounds like a mechanical knock. Could be anything. My valve comment was what would happen if spark was shut off prior to combustion of All fuel past the point of shut off. Could it be possible that the remaining fuel could result in misfires even possibly with valve partially open? Of course misfire codes should be set. I could even be something like the damper slipping and reengaging and setting up the ice to rocking on it's mounts and bottoming out the roll restricter multiple times. Who knows if the parking brake has been set the gear set should be locked.which could not occur until planet gears are at rest, I think. Am looking for the solution to be found soon.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not have one of my hybrids in shop for this or 12v battery. So no reason yet for Ford to ask me for PM. I am fighting a nightly 0.1-0.2 loss of volts on battery so I have to ready mine for 45-90 minutes every third to fourth day. This is serious in that max capacity of charge will slowly reduce to not having enough capacity to last one night and Maverick will feel sleep. On the shutdown of the ice noise. It certainly sounds like a mechanical knock. Could be anything. My valve comment was what would happen if spark was shut off prior to combustion of All fuel past the point of shut off. Could it be possible that the remaining fuel could result in misfires even possibly with valve partially open? Of course misfire codes should be set. I could even be something like the damper slipping and reengaging and setting up the ice to rocking on it's mounts and bottoming out the roll restricter multiple times. Who knows if the parking brake has been set the gear set should be locked.which could not occur until planet gears are at rest, I think. Am looking for the solution to be found soon.
Mine is not in the shop either.
I doubt it would set a misfire code when shutting down.
I got a call from a Ford rep who asked about my problem and asked if it was at the dealer. I told her no and I would take it in if I can duplicate the noise. She said they will give the info on the noise to ford. Hopefully if there is a problem then enough complains will warrant an investigation.

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FORD did reach out to me for this, twice, still not resolved. :(

Sponsored

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FORD did reach out to me for this, twice, still not resolved. :(
You need to take someone from the dealership w/ you on a test drive. If you can "make" it happen, do that and get them to hear it. That way you and the dealership's service department know exactly what your concern is. Then they can diagnose /contact Ford about it if necessary.

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Didi you take it in ?
In fairness, YES, Twice. Awaiting a call back from Sawgrass Ford this week (they should have called me today) for another appointment after they have reviewed the videos I sent them. I will have to call them tomorrow.

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2022 Hybrid that has just shy of 4K miles. Received it in November. Haven't even had the first oil change yet. I believe I have also noticed this noise. From my experience I notice it when I'm going less than 25mph and I hit the gas in a way that starts the gas engine and then have to slow down and hit the brake shortly after the gas engine had kicked in. The gas engine then switches off to cycle back to the electric motor. When this happens, the truck makes a rattle sound like the gas engine is having a rough time turning off and sometimes shakes the vehicle a little. I've only experienced it a few times, and I think it happens more often on shorter drives when the vehicle hasn't been running long. Just my 2 cents and experience, I know nothing about engines.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Try a listen to this: If that's not something loose, I don't know what is.

Sponsored

Mark Rash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think those clanking sounds are normal. Yes, hybrids make lots of weird noises, but those clanking, rattling noises don't sound normal, in my opinion. I'm not a mechanic or expert on the matter, but my Maverick hybrid with 16k miles has never made those sounds and the 2016 Prius I owned for over 6 years didn't either.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what exactly are you doing to get it to do that?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ignore all the people saying it’s nothing. You need your engine damper replaced. I had this as well as a terrible rattle while idling. They removed the engine and transmission and replaced the damper. Fixed that particular issue. Lots of hybrids have this issue. Some don’t care or notice I’m sure.

RCollins

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am going to assume the eCVT circulates the same oil as the engine and they share one drain point. If that is the case and you are seriously concerned about the thumping, I recommend an oil analysis. I don't know if Blackstone is familiar enough with this engine and drive system to point to a particular type of metal, but by 15,000 miles and an oil change or two, they should be able to list any indications they see for wear of metal parts. Personally, I wish I had an exploded view of the internal workings of the drive components link to the ICE.
Sponsored