First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like others have said...I'm going to guess it's the ICE "dieseling" when it shuts down. Hard to tell from a video though.
A good test for this would be to try higher octane full like 91 or better and see if it quits.
Either way I would say it's not normal and it shouldn't need anything more than 87.
Have you looked under the hood to see if anything looks like it's hitting or obviously out of place, loose?
Does it vibrate or anything during the noise?
I have looked....everything looks and feels secure.
Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have looked....everything looks and feels secure.
My take is that we need more people to test things to rule out as many possibilities as we can, and changing gas stations is probably the least intrusive.

What we know:
The engine is continuing to cycle for a second or two or even longer after the ignition is cut.
Others in the thread have noted it happens both stopped and moving as well.

What causes the engine to cycle for a few moments after the ignition is cut:
It could be a number of things. It could be the damper causing additional spin, it could be gas, it could be something else we haven't through of yet, too.

Since changing gas stations I haven't noticed it. But I may just be missing it somehow so I won't say with any real certainty that is what it is, either. However that is why I wanted to watch this thread and see if more people tried different gas or stations to see if its just me not noticing it now, or if they see an improvement. I can also point to a YT video or two where the sound is nearly identical.

I wouldn't rule it out without data to back it up that it isn't that sort of thing. Besides, what's it going to hurt for people to try different gas/stations to see? Its non-intrusive test without any real downtime without your truck or waiting at a dealership. And if we rule that out, then it means it is most likely a damper, ignition, or other cause that Ford will need to investigate.

Last edited:

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to be blunt.
The sounds recorded are clear and of good resolution.

Anyone who think this sounds like "dieseling" has

A) never heard a diesel engine
B) never heard a "dieseling" engine
C) anyone who thinks this is in any way fuel quality or octane related needs to have their hearing examined.

Sorry to be so blunt. But if you don't know what you are talking about, please refrain from "diagnosing" troubles. You are muddying the waters, and impeding actual progress.
Actually I'm going to be blunt here - this looks a lot like dieseling. The 2.5L Duratec engine runs at 13:1 compression ratio. That's higher compression than the Turbo Echo. The little bit of Atkinson Cycle magic, along with aluminum head design allows for 87 Octane - ( somehow ) But other engines with anything over 12:1 compression require higher octane. I am pretty sure higher octane fuel has mostly cured this issue. As to why it's happening, I suspect the engine has a slight case of run-on. when the engine shuts down it continues one extra ignition ( also possible because the Atkinson cycle creates a slight fuel air blow-by back up into the intake manifold. When the engine run's on it stumbles slightly causing the damper to rock back and forth on the springs and in some cases causing a vibration through the hybrid drivetrain. So there you have it. I am testing 93 Octane. It should not hurt the engine and ( So far the issue is happening less) but I want to prove it over time. Maye some others on this forum could help me test this theory.
Ford Maverick VERY loud and probably VERY BAD noise coming from my Hybrid 1685378224280

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually I'm going to be blunt here - this looks a lot like dieseling. The 2.5L Duratec engine runs at 13:1 compression ratio. That's higher compression than the Turbo Echo. The little bit of Atkinson Cycle magic, along with aluminum head design allows for 87 Octane - ( somehow ) But other engines with anything over 12:1 compression require higher octane. I am pretty sure higher octane fuel has mostly cured this issue. As to why it's happening, I suspect the engine has a slight case of run-on. when the engine shuts down it continues one extra ignition ( also possible because the Atkinson cycle creates a slight fuel air blow-by back up into the intake manifold. When the engine run's on it stumbles slightly causing the damper to rock back and forth on the springs and in some cases causing a vibration through the hybrid drivetrain. So there you have it. I am testing 93 Octane. It should not hurt the engine and ( So far the issue is happening less) but I want to prove it over time. Maye some others on this forum could help me test this theory.
1685378224280.png
I got to thinking and I wanted to add this to further add weight to the possibility it might be diseling:

Listen to the original poster's 4th video at the end and note the sound. Then listen to this video of an old Dodge D1 dieseling:
Gas engine dieseling doge d100 - YouTube

The first 30 seconds, the knocking shudder after ignition is cut sounds very similar to the sound in the Hybrid videos.

In the first two times cutting the ignition, it sounds exactly like the sound from the Hybrid. After 30 seconds, the Dodge in the video goes into continuous dieseling because it has a mechanical fuel pump. The engine cycles which actuates the pump which causes more fuel to be provided to continue dieseling.

The Maverick and most modern vehicles use electric fuel pumps that don't continue to provide fuel so they will only diesel for a few moments to a few seconds until no more fuel is left to burn. It was also noted in this thread that its not always a short knocking shudder, it can continue for a few seconds. And for that few seconds, it sounds like the Dodge in the video during the continuous dieseling.

So I am with you on trying higher octane fuel as a test to either confirm it or rule it out.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's not 13:1 compression. Not really.
Its effective compression is low, which reduces pumping losses increasing efficiency at the cost of power.

Note that any compression ratio shown above only reflects the physical compression ratio, which provides the ratio of the combustion chamber volumes when the piston is at "bottom dead center" versus "top dead center". The effective compression ratio of the air-fuel mixture in an Atkinson-cycle engine, with respect to atmospheric pressure, is lower due to the delay in closing the intake valve.

While I've not yet found a published value for the Hybrid Maverick's actual effective compression ratio, Atkinson compression in general is 20% to 25% lower than the physical ratio.

So the Hybrid Maverick has probably between 9.75 : 1 and 10.4 : 1 compression ratio which is why low octane is appropriate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What we are hearing, what I am hearing sounds like metal on metal contact.
Not combustion. Not "dieseling".

It is a rattle, a vibration, a clank, a clatter. Some part or parts are too loose, too tight, too much clearance, not enough clearance, upsized, downsized, wrong sized, bent, crooked, mis-matched, mis-designed, too weak, too strong, or otherwise not right.

Maybe it was a poor batch during a pandemic and can be repaired with a similar part or parts of better match or better quality.

I cannot see any pathway where octane of fuel would cause this or remove this, but of course, a pretty cheap experiment. But then are you all resigned to pay for premium fuel for the lifetime of this vehicle? A vehicle, that has lower effective compression than most vehicles on the road?

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a ‘23 hybrid which was built in January 2023. I have experienced this same shudder issue a couple times in the ~2600 miles I’ve put on it. Every time the shudder has happened has been while I was regen braking at speeds around 20mph and the engine shut off to transition to electric mode.

I‘ve been reading about this issue since long before my maverick was built. I hoped Ford would fix it by the time mine was built, but that’s obviously not the case. I don’t plan on taking mine to the dealer for this yet because it’s not repeatable enough for it to be replicated on demand, and I can’t live without my truck for weeks on end.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I‘ve been reading about this issue since long before my maverick was built. I hoped Ford would fix it by the time mine was built, but that’s obviously not the case. I don’t plan on taking mine to the dealer for this yet because it’s not repeatable enough for it to be replicated on demand, and I can’t live without my truck for weeks on end.
You and me both.
That's why I feel documenting things now is the best thing we can do. So when something eventually fails in a big way, we can say "I reported this issue to you at 5000 miles and you told me it was normal and I should keep driving it."

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My take is that we need more people to test things to rule out as many possibilities as we can, and changing gas stations is probably the least intrusive.

What we know:
The engine is continuing to cycle for a second or two or even longer after the ignition is cut.
Others in the thread have noted it happens both stopped and moving as well.

What causes the engine to cycle for a few moments after the ignition is cut:
It could be a number of things. It could be the damper causing additional spin, it could be gas, it could be something else we haven't through of yet, too.

Since changing gas stations I haven't noticed it. But I may just be missing it somehow so I won't say with any real certainty that is what it is, either. However that is why I wanted to watch this thread and see if more people tried different gas or stations to see if its just me not noticing it now, or if they see an improvement. I can also point to a YT video or two where the sound is nearly identical.

I wouldn't rule it out without data to back it up that it isn't that sort of thing. Besides, what's it going to hurt for people to try different gas/stations to see? Its non-intrusive test without any real downtime without your truck or waiting at a dealership. And if we rule that out, then it means it is most likely a damper, ignition, or other cause that Ford will need to investigate.
things that cause the engine to continue to run without ignition are hot spots in the combustion chamber and too high of an idle. The hot spots get solved in a sense by higher octane fuel and they can be solved by cleaning the cum
1685378224280.png
thanks for that. I am a retired auto mechanic and just got told I don't have a clue...lol
The good news is a little dieseling won't hurt anything but is very annoying.
If my hybrid does this in the future I think I would try some combustion chamber cleaner.(this stuff is no miracle though) The thing is if this truck is very new the chamber should be pretty clean but you never know for sure.

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1685378224280.png
Except the engine is not "running on". I do believe it is going to be the damper between engine/transmission. Waiting on Ford for my appointment to be set this week.

Sponsored

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck made a similar noise yesterday! It didn't last as long as the noise in the video but it was similar. This is a 2023 with 220 miles on it. I left it running, got out to get the mail, and the ICE just so happened to shut off while I was right near the front of the truck. It was pretty loud but not a concern for me. It just sounded like a shutdown and something is loose. Maybe it is the design of the damper that makes the noise??? Maybe it's the sound of the ICE with it's intake valve timing that does it?? I don't know but I really think it's normal. weird

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck made a similar noise yesterday! It didn't last as long as the noise in the video but it was similar. This is a 2023 with 220 miles on it. I left it running, got out to get the mail, and the ICE just so happened to shut off while I was right near the front of the truck. It was pretty loud but not a concern for me. It just sounded like a shutdown and something is loose. Maybe it is the design of the damper that makes the noise??? Maybe it's the sound of the ICE with it's intake valve timing that does it?? I don't know but I really think it's normal. weird
Sadly, perhaps it's going to be a normal sound that indicates a recall.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is not normal. Not in any way, shape or form is it normal or acceptable. The fact that your first 1900 miles were trouble free tells you that it is not normal.

The longer it goes on, the worse it is going to get - nothing good can come from that condition being allowed to continue

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hi there. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
done
Sponsored