Utility Trailer Suggestions

Calicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy, Subaru Forester
Engine
Undecided
I have on order a 2.0 AWD with 4k tow package. What are some possible suggestions for a utility trailer with electric brakes?

Use is for a small blackamith/metal shop and general around home projects. I'd like to be able to tow it long distances on the interstate going to auctions etc.

I have very little experience outside of towing a uhaul trailer to pick up a motorcycle several years ago.
Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Has anyone determined the size of the hitch 2" or 4"?

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2". I've never heard of a 4".

HRG
DUH, senior moment. I was actually thinking 1.5" or 2" and wrote 4". My bad, sorry for the blonde moment.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
DUH, senior moment. I was actually thinking 1.5" or 2" and wrote 4". My bad, sorry for the blonde moment.
Hahaha! Actually, the standard for the "smaller" one is 1-1/4" sq, but is limited to 3500#,,,

Lord knows I've got a 5 gallon bucket of inserts,,,,

HRG

XBeatzX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Toyota Tundra & '03 Honda Element
Engine
Undecided
I have about five or six utility trailers sitting out in various spots in the yard, And probably had 30 or 40 of them over the years. By far the single best I have owned is the “Floe Cargo Max” trailers. (Owned two different sizes). All aluminum construction, quality LED lights, composite bed, multi tilt, with a very unique tailgate. You literally don’t even know these things are behind you, They tow wonderfully. You’re gonna have to get a pretty heavy duty/large utility trailer or special order to have built-in trailer brakes.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahaha! Actually, the standard for the "smaller" one is 1-1/4" sq, but is limited to 3500#,,,

Lord knows I've got a 5 gallon bucket of inserts,,,,

HRG
So that's what size it is? I had one from my Subaru and could have sworn it was 1.5"

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I have about five or six utility trailers sitting out in various spots in the yard, And probably had 30 or 40 of them over the years. By far the single best I have owned is the “Floe Cargo Max” trailers. (Owned two different sizes). All aluminum construction, quality LED lights, composite bed, multi tilt, with a very unique tailgate. You literally don’t even know these things are behind you, They tow wonderfully. You’re gonna have to get a pretty heavy duty/large utility trailer or special order to have built-in trailer brakes.
^What Chris said. Finding a single axle trailer with already-installed electric brakes is going to be very tough, probably in special-order territory. You could do an add-on, I've never attempted so can't comment on that.
Parts Needed to Add Electric Drum Brakes to a Trailer | etrailer.com
You can more readily find double axle trailers with brakes but then as they're bigger/heavier it cuts into your GCWR.
Noticed this one, a BigTex single axle that lists brakes as an option at bottom of page:
Big Tex Trailers 30SV Single Axle Vanguard Trailer
Good luck.

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This one doesn't have brakes on it, but looks like a decent trailer otherwise. It's on my wish list.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went with Karavan.
By far the single best I have owned is the “Floe Cargo Max” trailers.
Very nice trailers. Dual axle, ramp, box enclosure, aluminum. I've never seen these around here (in Wisconsin).

I went with Karavan from a local dealer. Mine has fold down/removable side rails that convert it into a flatbed -- which actually came in handy when a fork lift unloaded a tote onto it from the side. And Karavans have A-framed tongues. But payload is too low to warrant brakes unless you get one of their boat trailers.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with Karavan.

Very nice trailers. Dual axle, ramp, box enclosure, aluminum. I've never seen these around here (in Wisconsin).

I went with Karavan from a local dealer. Mine has fold down/removable side rails that convert it into a flatbed -- which actually came in handy when a fork lift unloaded a tote onto it from the side. And Karavans have A-framed tongues. But payload is too low to warrant brakes unless you get one of their boat trailers.
Never heard of Karavan until your post. I searched and they are available at Sam's Club. Didn't know they sold trailers. I'll have to look into that further. Thanks for lead.
Sponsored