Sponsored

Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available)

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Banned
Mobil 1 has a new Hybrid 0w-20 oil. They claim the formula handles contaminants better, which probably means it has a greater dose of dispersants to emulsify water better, and mix fuel into the oil better.
The Valvoline Hybrid-specific 0w-20 has similar claims.
Both brands of Hybrid oil have the right WSS- Ford specs, no issues there.

Is it really necessary? Likely not. Maybe not a bad idea though. I have liked the Mercedes-Ford spec Castrol Edge Extended.
These are decent.
I might switch to one of these at some point in the future.

Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) mobil1_hybrid

Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) valvoline_hybrid

Only thing I remember about what oil companies in the past have been doing to make Stop/Start and Hybrid engines work better, is the use of more polar polymer esters (Castrol Magnatec, and Castrol Edge).
The new Mobil 1 Hybrid and new-ish Valvoline Hybrid appears to only emphasize dispersants.

Another new product that seems fine, yet I think the Fram Titanium oil filter or Fram Ultra oil filter might still be better. This does seem like a good product, almost the same as Royal Purple full syn fiber oil filter:
Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) FramEndurance

If you google these product names, you might find it's not available in a store near you. Amazon could be the only option. Walmart has the mobil1 hybrid, & Valvoline hybrid elsewhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MaverickTopGun

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Banned
#marketing #packaging
Not quite pure marketing.
It's similar to "High Mileage" oils, in that there actually are formulation differences.

Whether those differences amount to a whole lot is questionable. Depends on engine usage.

For a hybrid short-tripped a lot, maybe in cold weather, these oils are very likely better to use, reducing internal corrosion, piston deposits, and wear.
Never short-tripped, or never used in the winter, no advantage to using these Hybrid oils.

I've always gone with German-spec (Ford and Mercedes) oil, which covers all the enhancements these new Hybrid-specific oils have. Not just marketing. Real engineering.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mobil 1 has a new Hybrid 0w-20 oil. They claim the formula handles contaminants better, which probably means it has a greater dose of dispersants to emulsify water better, and mix fuel into the oil better.
The Valvoline Hybrid-specific 0w-20 has similar claims.
Both brands of Hybrid oil have the right WSS- Ford specs, no issues there.

Is it really necessary? Likely not. Maybe not a bad idea though. I have liked the Mercedes-Ford spec Castrol Edge Extended.
These are decent.
I might switch to one of these at some point in the future.

mobil1_hybrid.jpeg

valvoline_hybrid.jpg

Only thing I remember about what oil companies in the past have been doing to make Stop/Start and Hybrid engines work better, is the use of more polar polymer esters (Castrol Magnatec, and Castrol Edge).
The new Mobil 1 Hybrid and new-ish Valvoline Hybrid appears to only emphasize dispersants.

Another new product that seems fine, yet I think the Fram Titanium oil filter or Fram Ultra oil filter might still be better. This does seem like a good product, almost the same as Royal Purple full syn fiber oil filter:
FramEndurance.png

If you google these product names, you might find it's not available in a store near you. Amazon could be the only option. Walmart has the mobil1 hybrid, & Valvoline hybrid elsewhere.
I say it's all about what you can afford. If you can afford full synthetic go for it, If you can afford this variant then do it. I will likely do this hybrid specific one

bentley72

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used the mobil 1 in my last oil change. Seems fine to me. Not sure if it helped fuel economy since it’s been winter though

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never replaced a vehicle due to a worn out engine, and I try to run them until the proverbial "wheels fall off." They have usually been replaced because everything else is falling apart and I am tired of fixing them.

For that reason, I run the least expensive oil and filter that meets manufacturer specs. Why pay more?

OP
OP
MaverickTopGun

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Banned
These Hybrid-specific oils are perfect for people who want to leave the deep thinking to Mobil or Valvoline, companies with engineers that kinda know what they are doing.
So you don't have to be an expert. Opposite of geekery.

No customer brainpower required, just go with "These are best for Hybrids".

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer the Mobil 1 oil filters to anything Fram makes.
Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) IMG_1289

OP
OP
MaverickTopGun

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer the Mobil 1 oil filters to anything Fram makes.
Based on performance ratings & evidence opening up Mobil1 oil filters, they look inferior to Fram Ultra, Endurance, & Titanium.

Note in the video how much stray glue is out (which might get sucked down the bypass valve):

Also, Mobil1 is not tested to filter very well. Just adequate, not great.
Many Mobil1 oil filters have been opened up for inspection (WhipCityWrencher, bobistheoilguy.com, etc.) and most of them have some build-quality problems.

If you don't "like" Fram's premium line of filters, then I'd go with "Microgard Select", Wix (not WixXP), NapaGold, Royal Purple, or Motorcraft of course. (Motorcrafts had a bad reputation for getting holes in them for the last few years, although I think it's just the FL820S size they were having trouble with, not our FL400S or FL910S, so I'm now recommending Motorcraft.)

It's all about evidence. Some basic clues in the engineering world and quality inspection, etc.
It's a bit technical, yet the ISO 4548-12 tests do tell quite a bit about a filter:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...e-point-and-burst.334882/page-19#post-5789087

I'm not brand loyal to anybody. It's all about facts for me.

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on performance ratings & evidence opening up Mobil1 oil filters, they look inferior to Fram Ultra, Endurance, & Titanium.

Note in the video how much stray glue is out (which might get sucked down the bypass valve):

Also, Mobil1 is not tested to filter very well. Just adequate, not great.
Many Mobil1 oil filters have been opened up for inspection (WhipCityWrencher, bobistheoilguy.com, etc.) and most of them have some build-quality problems.

If you don't "like" Fram's premium line of filters, then I'd go with "Microgard Select", Wix (not WixXP), NapaGold, Royal Purple, or Motorcraft of course. (Motorcrafts had a bad reputation for getting holes in them for the last few years, although I think it's just the FL820S size they were having trouble with, not our FL400S or FL910S, so I'm now recommending Motorcraft.)

It's all about evidence. Some basic clues in the engineering world and quality inspection, etc.
It's a bit technical, yet the ISO 4548-12 tests do tell quite a bit about a filter:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...e-point-and-burst.334882/page-19#post-5789087

I'm not brand loyal to anybody. It's all about facts for me.
Wow, we’re we watching the same video?.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaverickTopGun

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I‘ve seen other videos with different results. Farms lack the number of pleats and the bypass is an inferior design.
Which Fram model? They are all different.

The ExtraGuard and Drive are their cheapest, yet even they are basically OK.

The Endurance, Ultra, Titanium ones are their best and beat about anything else.
No shortage of pleats on the premium ones. 4548-12 would show any problems with dirt-holding capacity if that was an issue. The cheaper Frams are good enough for 7,500 miles at least too.

The bypass valve is the same design most filters have, a spring valve.

Certainly people are brand loyal for their own emotional reasons, can't fault them for that.

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fram Ultra Synthetic vs Mobil 1 screenshots from the video posted above. Worth noting that the Fram Ultra Synthetic in Fram’s product line is above the Titanium with 36 pleats. In this case number of pleats equates to increased surface area.
Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) IMG_1300
Ford Maverick Use new Hybrid-specific 0w-20 oil? (And new oil filter is available) IMG_1301

Mavreezy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the all oil interval, oil brand, oil filters, bla bla bla is way overdone for a simple little truck. Way too geeked man..
I concur...
Sponsored