Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6544

My first vehicle had 97 hp; merging onto highways was hair raising and forget passing on two lane roads, you couldn't build speed fast enough to be safe doing it. I much prefer having more than adequate power on tap for when you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I had the same problem with a '73 Triumph TR6. The first time I pulled out to pass a car I had to get back behind the car. Dangerous and embarrassing! (I sold the car)
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the same problem with a '73 Triumph TR6. The first time I pulled out to pass a car I had to get back behind the car. Dangerous and embarrassing! (I sold the car)
Yet some people still feel the need to say "but why do you need all that power?"

I hate people who insist on telling me what I need. Even more so the ones that force it on you.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first vehicle had 97 hp; merging onto highways was hair raising and forget passing on two lane roads, you couldn't build speed fast enough to be safe doing it. I much prefer having more than adequate power on tap for when you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I remember those days. Yes passing was dangerous. I think the Maverick falls in line with adequate power for today's roads. Both the Hybrid and Turbo seem capable with merging and passing.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well this is a very good reason to have power on tap- but having adequate power is very different from having dragstrip power on the shared interstate. Drag racing on the highway puts others at risk. There is a discussion to be had about that.
Who is talking about drag racing on public highways? And as long as I follow the law, why should you care if I have "dragstrip power" in my vehicle? How is that even remotely anyone else's business?

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At Mikk:
The act of “drag racing” has nothing to do with how much power you make. It’s an agreement between two willing drivers engaging in an acceleration contest. You could drag race with a friggen bicycle. The mere fact that you brought that up shows you don’t have a clue about what a drag race is or why cars have different power levels. There is a Hybrid thread somewhere on this site. I suggest you go there.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Who is talking about drag racing on public highways? And as long as I follow the law, why should you care if I have "dragstrip power" in my vehicle? How is that even remotely anyone else's business?
Hey keep it friendly I'm referring to the general huge increases in horsepower all modern cars are getting. I'ts remarkable to see 400hp in the F150 - and we get addicted to it. We start modding and increasing boost. That's all I'm referring to.

No one specific.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey keep it friendly I'm referring to the general huge increases in horsepower all modern cars are getting. I'ts remarkable to see 400hp in the F150 - and we get addicted to it. We start modding and increasing boost. That's all I'm referring to.

No one specific.
I just don't see how or why it's a "problem" worthy of comment. Nobody is getting addicted to anything. When you can wring more horsepower out an engine of a given size with modern engineering, the flip side is that they are also more economical. Isn't that great? The 2.0L ecoboost is about twice as fuel efficient as the 97 hp 4 cylinder I had 30 years ago which had roughly the same displacement. Technological advances and choices are a wonderful thing. If someone wants to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle possible, more power to them. Nobody should ever criticize them. The same goes for power, torque, or any other capability a given vehicle has.

Vehicles with more power are more fun to drive and that's all the justification anyone should need if they want to buy one. Any nanny no-no who wants to wag their finger at it can buzz off.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just don't see how or why it's a "problem" worthy of comment. Nobody is getting addicted to anything. When you can wring more horsepower out an engine of a given size with modern engineering, the flip side is that they are also more economical. Isn't that great? The 2.0L ecoboost is about twice as fuel efficient as the 97 hp 4 cylinder I had 30 years ago which had roughly the same displacement. Technological advances and choices are a wonderful thing. If someone wants to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle possible, more power to them. Nobody should ever criticize them. The same goes for power, torque, or any other capability a given vehicle has.

Vehicles with more power are more fun to drive and that's all the justification anyone should need if they want to buy one. Any nanny no-no who wants to wag their finger at it can buzz off.
Oh I completely agree with you, the aftermarket world and ability to tinker is fun, and practical and part of owning a vehicle like the Maverick., If you can make more horsepower along the way that's great.. No finger wagging here.

Cashman1234

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition

No one specific.
Well you must live at sea level and never been over 1000’. Put a trailer on and go over a 10,000 foot mountain pass and tell me that you had enough power up there. Some of use actually leave the city at sea level and need that extra power to just get us back to stock HP that was already just enough…. 400 Hp is not that much with todays tech, it also is controlled not just wild power.

Sponsored

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not actually accurate at all. Removal of any emission component is illegal in all 50 states. Most don't bother with you but it is technically illegal.
If you're replacing it and not deleting it's Ok here. I don't know anywhere in the state that uses a "sniffer" unless it's a commercial vehicle.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're replacing it and not deleting it's Ok here. I don't know anywhere in the state that uses a "sniffer" unless it's a commercial vehicle.
I get what you are saying but the actual Federal Law, in all 50 states says you can not change or tamper with any factory installed emissions components, period.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the truck has an 8 speed I feel you can run a larger turbo and still have acceptable performance as you dont need as wide of a powerband. I am surprised with how small the turbo is looks more suited to a 1.6L.

It looks like a good design with an ideal placement of the wastegate exit port. The compressor wheel looks to be a nice design as well is it billet? The exhaust turbine wheel looks to be of terrible design though at least from a performance perspective. Cant see the inducer of the turbine but just looking at the exducer the blades are very straight with extreme angles which will create a ton of backpressure. Hopefully the upgraded turbo isnt just a larger compressor wheel but actually has either a GT style cut to the turbine or even replaces the entire shaft with something of a better design.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what the hell is 'twin scroll' anyway? I see Ford always saying that but there's never an explanation of what it is or how it's better.
A twin scroll turbocharger has the input paths feeding into the exhaust turbine separated between groups of cylinders so that the sequential exhaust pressure impulse doesn't interfere with the one preceding it. This allows the cylinders to evacuate the exhaust gasses more efficiently.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.