First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In CA yes. Other places, if it passes emissions it's ok. Cats get clogged and can be replaced w/non OEM. Some places it's a visual inspection, where I live they only check lights & horn.
That's not actually accurate at all. Removal of any emission component is illegal in all 50 states. Most don't bother with you but it is technically illegal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understood him to be saying that when he said, "The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels." Unless, he hasnt ever seen the turbo on the Focus ST, Edge, Escape, etc.
I've got little experience on Ford's other models. When the Focus ST first was released we built some parts for those, I bought one for a new platform. Never pulled the turbo off of it.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How much boost stock turbo push? And upgraded for more boost,how much more u did?
Stock the boost was about 6 psi. Getting it to 21 is a chore and must makes a lot of heat.

Sponsored

ConfusedMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Feeling pretty emasculated that I am buying a hybrid because gas is $5.20 a gallon hereā€¦missing my youth and some intensely stupid run ins with speed, but enjoying the read here for sure. This is great stuff!
I feel you brother. Miss the speed myself, but I'd miss those dollars even more. I'll be smiling at the pump every 2 weeks. šŸ˜…

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
The turbos will require a core or if supply stays good from Ford can be bought outright too. I don't have a guess on the price. The turbo alone from Ford is about $850, plus core or a $250 core fee I believe. Then you have the cost of the modifications which will go over $1,000 if I had to take a guess.
You are starting to catch my attention. I just traded my beloved F150 Ecoboost on a 9,000# Class B RV with 3.6L of naturally aspirated barely adequate power. My Outback is no fun either and is next on the chopping block..
What does your guy do to tune a turbocharger in the street driven Maverick's case? I assume a sophisticated port and polish but beyond that anything?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are starting to catch my attention. I just traded my beloved F150 Ecoboost on a 9,000# Class B RV with 3.6L of naturally aspirated barely adequate power. My Outback is no fun either and is next on the chopping block..
What does your guy do to tune a turbocharger in the street driven Maverick's case? I assume a sophisticated port and polish but beyond that anything?
Thanks.
Tuning is all done through the ECU. More power beyond that is from adding parts to increase airflow.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
Next up maxing out the injectors with the new turbo, once it's on?

Any possibility of a an aux (port) injector setup? Thinking manifold spacer with port injector bungs. Would provide the extra fuel and fully prevent carbon buildup.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Next up maxing out the injectors with the new turbo, once it's on?

Any possibility of a an aux (port) injector setup? Thinking manifold spacer with port injector bungs. Would provide the extra fuel and fully prevent carbon buildup.
With GDI there might be a little room on the OEM injectors. Buschur would certainly have better knowledge on that.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I sure miss those days when you could do all the work on your car yourself.
I'm glad to have a factory warranty where Ford will do the work for free. Even more glad that modern engines are generally much more reliable than the old days where you basically HAD to be able to work on your car.

And more so that people are still out there pushing limits. It's not for me, but I still love it.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's illegal.
Here In Colorado, all you need to do is park in a public parking lot (a.k.a Walmart) There is free catalytic converter removal and only takes 60 sec or sošŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the OP was simply trying to point out that in the modern world it is now quite easy to make a high horsepower car that doesn't have to live exclusively at the track.
I understand.. that's why I thought it was kind of funny. Our cars are so powerful now. I am old enough to remember driving a VW Rabbit pickup with an 80 hp port fuel injected 4 bnager - it was really fun to drive. Today's cars all seems like overkill to me today. It's a bit wasteful. And it's like an arms race.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
I understand.. that's why I thought it was kind of funny. Our cars are so powerful now. I am old enough to remember driving a VW Rabbit pickup with an 80 hp port fuel injected 4 bnager - it was really fun to drive. Today's cars all seems like overkill to me today. It's a bit wasteful. And it's like an arms race.
Overkill?
Not to me.
Back in the day I had an early 80ā€™s rabbit 1.7 with the Bosch CV injection.
Good car, nothing Iā€™d call fun though, it felt more like a farm tractor than anything else. Decent economy and a solid car but unless it was a GTI it was a slug by any measure. And emissions wise it was less than great.
Wasteful fun cars I remember from back thenā€¦
My big block T/A, yes.
The GTO with nitrous, absolutely.
My V8 Vega, yup.
V8 S10 Blazer, somewhat.
Blown FED, terrifying more than funā€¦definitely wasteful.
So are the new cars more overkill or wasteful? In this context, no.
Hotrod desires have pushed manufacturers to not only maintain but increase output substantially while meeting higher emission standards with unthinkable reliability.
I probably wonā€™t shred my warranty looking for performance gains but I think itā€™s fantastic others are, nobody in the ā€˜70ā€™s thought a 1000hp engine could be streetable let alone reliable yet here we are.
The knowledge gained with these developments in many cases underpin the developments in lesser transportation like the Ecoboost so if this is wasteful long live the arms race.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My first vehicle had 97 hp; merging onto highways was hair raising and forget passing on two lane roads, you couldn't build speed fast enough to be safe doing it. I much prefer having more than adequate power on tap for when you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.