XLT
First Name
Mikk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Trim
XLT
I think the OP was simply trying to point out that in the modern world it is now quite easy to make a high horsepower car that doesn't have to live exclusively at the track.
I understand.. that's why I thought it was kind of funny. Our cars are so powerful now. I am old enough to remember driving a VW Rabbit pickup with an 80 hp port fuel injected 4 bnager - it was really fun to drive. Today's cars all seems like overkill to me today. It's a bit wasteful. And it's like an arms race.
Advertisement

rupzuk

Lariat
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Trim
Lariat
I understand.. that's why I thought it was kind of funny. Our cars are so powerful now. I am old enough to remember driving a VW Rabbit pickup with an 80 hp port fuel injected 4 bnager - it was really fun to drive. Today's cars all seems like overkill to me today. It's a bit wasteful. And it's like an arms race.
Overkill?
Not to me.
Back in the day I had an early 80’s rabbit 1.7 with the Bosch CV injection.
Good car, nothing I’d call fun though, it felt more like a farm tractor than anything else. Decent economy and a solid car but unless it was a GTI it was a slug by any measure. And emissions wise it was less than great.
Wasteful fun cars I remember from back then…
My big block T/A, yes.
The GTO with nitrous, absolutely.
My V8 Vega, yup.
V8 S10 Blazer, somewhat.
Blown FED, terrifying more than fun…definitely wasteful.
So are the new cars more overkill or wasteful? In this context, no.
Hotrod desires have pushed manufacturers to not only maintain but increase output substantially while meeting higher emission standards with unthinkable reliability.
I probably won’t shred my warranty looking for performance gains but I think it’s fantastic others are, nobody in the ‘70’s thought a 1000hp engine could be streetable let alone reliable yet here we are.
The knowledge gained with these developments in many cases underpin the developments in lesser transportation like the Ecoboost so if this is wasteful long live the arms race.

Decayed

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Trim
XLT
My first vehicle had 97 hp; merging onto highways was hair raising and forget passing on two lane roads, you couldn't build speed fast enough to be safe doing it. I much prefer having more than adequate power on tap for when you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Porvette

XLT
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys, 1979 Corvette
Trim
XLT
My first vehicle had 97 hp; merging onto highways was hair raising and forget passing on two lane roads, you couldn't build speed fast enough to be safe doing it. I much prefer having more than adequate power on tap for when you need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I had the same problem with a '73 Triumph TR6. The first time I pulled out to pass a car I had to get back behind the car. Dangerous and embarrassing! (I sold the car)

Decayed

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Trim
XLT
I had the same problem with a '73 Triumph TR6. The first time I pulled out to pass a car I had to get back behind the car. Dangerous and embarrassing! (I sold the car)
Yet some people still feel the need to say "but why do you need all that power?"

I hate people who insist on telling me what I need. Even more so the ones that force it on you.

Mikknj

XLT
First Name
Mikk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
I remember those days. Yes passing was dangerous. I think the Maverick falls in line with adequate power for today's roads. Both the Hybrid and Turbo seem capable with merging and passing.

Decayed

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Trim
XLT
Well this is a very good reason to have power on tap- but having adequate power is very different from having dragstrip power on the shared interstate. Drag racing on the highway puts others at risk. There is a discussion to be had about that.
Who is talking about drag racing on public highways? And as long as I follow the law, why should you care if I have "dragstrip power" in my vehicle? How is that even remotely anyone else's business?

ColoradoShooter

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Trim
Lariat
At Mikk:
The act of “drag racing” has nothing to do with how much power you make. It’s an agreement between two willing drivers engaging in an acceleration contest. You could drag race with a friggen bicycle. The mere fact that you brought that up shows you don’t have a clue about what a drag race is or why cars have different power levels. There is a Hybrid thread somewhere on this site. I suggest you go there.

Mikknj

XLT
First Name
Mikk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
Who is talking about drag racing on public highways? And as long as I follow the law, why should you care if I have "dragstrip power" in my vehicle? How is that even remotely anyone else's business?
Hey keep it friendly I'm referring to the general huge increases in horsepower all modern cars are getting. I'ts remarkable to see 400hp in the F150 - and we get addicted to it. We start modding and increasing boost. That's all I'm referring to.

No one specific.

Decayed

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Trim
XLT
Hey keep it friendly I'm referring to the general huge increases in horsepower all modern cars are getting. I'ts remarkable to see 400hp in the F150 - and we get addicted to it. We start modding and increasing boost. That's all I'm referring to.

No one specific.
I just don't see how or why it's a "problem" worthy of comment. Nobody is getting addicted to anything. When you can wring more horsepower out an engine of a given size with modern engineering, the flip side is that they are also more economical. Isn't that great? The 2.0L ecoboost is about twice as fuel efficient as the 97 hp 4 cylinder I had 30 years ago which had roughly the same displacement. Technological advances and choices are a wonderful thing. If someone wants to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle possible, more power to them. Nobody should ever criticize them. The same goes for power, torque, or any other capability a given vehicle has.

Vehicles with more power are more fun to drive and that's all the justification anyone should need if they want to buy one. Any nanny no-no who wants to wag their finger at it can buzz off.

Mikknj

XLT
First Name
Mikk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
I just don't see how or why it's a "problem" worthy of comment. Nobody is getting addicted to anything. When you can wring more horsepower out an engine of a given size with modern engineering, the flip side is that they are also more economical. Isn't that great? The 2.0L ecoboost is about twice as fuel efficient as the 97 hp 4 cylinder I had 30 years ago which had roughly the same displacement. Technological advances and choices are a wonderful thing. If someone wants to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle possible, more power to them. Nobody should ever criticize them. The same goes for power, torque, or any other capability a given vehicle has.

Vehicles with more power are more fun to drive and that's all the justification anyone should need if they want to buy one. Any nanny no-no who wants to wag their finger at it can buzz off.
Oh I completely agree with you, the aftermarket world and ability to tinker is fun, and practical and part of owning a vehicle like the Maverick., If you can make more horsepower along the way that's great.. No finger wagging here.

Cashman1234

First Edition
First Name
Dustan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition
Trim
First Edition

No one specific.
Well you must live at sea level and never been over 1000’. Put a trailer on and go over a 10,000 foot mountain pass and tell me that you had enough power up there. Some of use actually leave the city at sea level and need that extra power to just get us back to stock HP that was already just enough…. 400 Hp is not that much with todays tech, it also is controlled not just wild power.

mykream

Lariat
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Corvette Z06, **2022 Maverick on order**
Trim
Lariat
And here I am with my nitrous z06 wondering why everyone is such a nancy about making more power out of these. Keep up the work Dave. ;)

azmig

Lariat
First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Trim
Lariat

What’s the problem with people wanting 4 door vehicles?!?!?
When we were kids, many people had 2 doors cars. Is climbing over a folded front seat too difficult nowadays? Not to mention you have two more hinges, door handles and locks to contend with!!! This 4 door craze it total BS. Only a nut would buy one!!!
😉

Advertisement

Advertisement