First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently drive a 2001 Ford Range Edge 2WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How far can the Maverick be driven, on electric only, before ICE kicks in??
Curious. Have about a 1.5 mile drive for dialysis 3x a week. Max posted
speed is 35MPH. Although, most folks go a lot faster than that!
Wondering if electric would go that far or not?

Might drive 50 miles a month, at this point. Dialysis and Dr as needed.
Maybe a bit more, if I see a friend, or have other errands to run.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mavforever

Mavforever

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I canā€™t explain the system other than to say itā€™s not something you can toggle on and offā€¦it works seamlessly with the ICE and it will come on when it deems itā€™s needed. I know from driving it that when you let off the gas the hybrid powerbar immediately goes into charge mode. Someone with much greater hybrid tech knowledge than I would have to chime in on how it all works. I will say it is seem less and smooth and there is no issue in transition between the two systems.

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do either versions of the Maverick power plants display miles per Imperial gallon? For us old school Canucks šŸ˜‰
British Thermal Units perhaps?

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh goodness, don't open this can of worms. Premium is an absolute scam and yet many people on this forum (and every other) fall for it hook, line, and sinker. They believe they can feel that extra .8HP or that their .2mpg gain offsets the large increase in cost.... don't get me started. :LOL:
Not a scam, but if your car doesnā€™t require it then donā€™t get it. My challenger 6.1 hemi needs it or the engine will act quirky. One of the many reasons I want the hybrid is to get the good old 87 octane.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this right, but trying to squeeze yourself into electric only mode is a moot point, as even if you stay on mostly battery-source power for the majority of the drive, the ICE still has to use gasoline to recharge the battery. So in your case below 35 mph the ICE is either slightly giving a power boost to the traction motor during relatively stronger accelerations (or up hills maybe some), or it's playing generator for the battery as needed. But I think I get it, keeping yourself driving gentle means you're probably driving in an optimum efficiency fashion if you minimize how much the ICE kicks to boost the electric motor output (more or less) directly.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this right, ...
I think you've got the right idea.

This hybrid high-voltage battery is an energy buffer, not an energy source. The HVB allows the control system to add load to the ICE when it runs a part throttle, so it's both more efficient when it does run, and stores energy for the low throttle load stretches of road (eg. downhills). The HVB runs 50% +/- 20% charge level most of the time, so you get long life, too.

A plug-in has a larger HVB and greater inverter capacity, so you can functionally drive in EV-only mode. Escape PHEV owners report about 70kW available before he ICE kicks in. My Escape hybrid turns on ICE at 20kW no matter now full the HVB.

Plus, cold weather hurts everything, so now's not the time to judge mileage. You'll want heat.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh goodness, don't open this can of worms. Premium is an absolute scam and yet many people on this forum (and every other) fall for it hook, line, and sinker. They believe they can feel that extra .8HP or that their .2mpg gain offsets the large increase in cost.... don't get me started. :LOL:
You know, I'm kind of glad I saw this thread. I've been buying premium gas for my Mustang GT. I just looked at the owner's manual, and it specifically says it will do just fine on regular. I've been pissing money away and not even knowing it!

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's great gas mileage, but I have to admit being a little surprised that the average is 39 when it says 49 - so not much less than half - of the miles were electric, meaning ICE was not even running.
These calculations can take time. I believe in my old 2012 fusion they reported after 500-1000 miles it would be accurate. Secondly, if you look at the mileage it would appear the driving is 43% electric. The ICE is not so efficient. the best mileage would be about 25% Highway and 75% city. Not the case here. But I don't know any other vehicle of that weight or with that payload that will get anywhere near 39.2 MPG.

It is a hybrid, it does not work miracles outside of the laws of science.

callen4794

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Expedition King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know, I'm kind of glad I saw this thread. I've been buying premium gas for my Mustang GT. I just looked at the owner's manual, and it specifically says it will do just fine on regular. I've been pissing money away and not even knowing it!
Yeah most cars will actually run better on regular fuel. Can even be bad for the engine to use premium fuel in some cases. Engines with higher compression ratio sometimes require premium (higher octane) fuel though.

lurch70

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW 330xi, 2019 Volvo XC60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What does 5:25:42 mean? Does it mean that you drove only 112 miles in 5 hours and 25 minutes? Average 20 mph? Seems very odd.
Not if you live in NYC like me ... my average speed is 8mph usually in the 5 boroughs.
Didn't get my hybrid Maverick yet but that's why I want it.

Sponsored

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Engines with higher compression ratio sometimes require premium (higher octane) fuel though.
One of my cars requires high octane or it will ping and keep running after it's shut off. Owners manual says 96 octane is required - high compression engine.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What does 5:25:42 mean? Does it mean that you drove only 112 miles in 5 hours and 25 minutes? Average 20 mph? Seems very odd.
In Ford's, the time includes sitting listening to the radio or basically anytime the key is on.

Last edited:

NolaRad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Craig, come drive the (California) I-15 to State 91 in the am. Avg 18 MPH. 27 miles in 1.5 hrs

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this right, but trying to squeeze yourself into electric only mode is a moot point, as even if you stay on mostly battery-source power for the majority of the drive, the ICE still has to use gasoline to recharge the battery. So in your case below 35 mph the ICE is either slightly giving a power boost to the traction motor during relatively stronger accelerations (or up hills maybe some), or it's playing generator for the battery as needed. But I think I get it, keeping yourself driving gentle means you're probably driving in an optimum efficiency fashion if you minimize how much the ICE kicks to boost the electric motor output (more or less) directly.
To add to this, it kind of depends on your commute, and how you drive more than anything. You get the best out of a hybrid system when you mix both electric and ICE use. On my commute for example I have several stints where I can EV for a mile or so, without draining the battery. Thanks to rolling hills along the route the gas motor doesn't have to do much work to recharge the battery. The only time I find that the motor is forced to switch over to gas is if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for long periods of time. But again, how well you can do will really depend on the routes you drive.