Sponsored

[UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.]

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks as if the supplier that manufactured and assembled the Loooonnnggg battery cable messed up on some of the connectors. They should be soldered to the wire and likely also have the connector crimped.
The solution of replacing with a new harness/cable is the only one available at most dealers because the soldering equipment needed to solder such a large connector is not available at most dealers.
A workaround or fix would be to use a gas/propane powered soldering iron. They are large-headed soldering irons with a handle that are heated in a Bernz-O-Matic flame or if permanent, a natural gas flame. In the past, radiator shops had them avaiable. The head can absorb a lot of BTUs and will transfer enough to get the connector, cable and solder fully heated. An electric, hand-held soldering iron just does not have the capacity to heat all the parts hot enough.
If there is a radiator repair shop that can re-core radiators, or repair radiator tanks(brass type), it could also likely repair these poorly soldered joints without need to replace the whole thing. Nice solution in case they are back-ordered, which I expect they are.
tom
Sponsored

MustardTiger

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2001 AWD Swapped Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks as if the supplier that manufactured and assembled the Loooonnnggg battery cable messed up on some of the connectors. They should be soldered to the wire and likely also have the connector crimped.
The solution of replacing with a new harness/cable is the only one available at most dealers because the soldering equipment needed to solder such a large connector is not available at most dealers.
A workaround or fix would be to use a gas/propane powered soldering iron. They are large-headed soldering irons with a handle that are heated in a Bernz-O-Matic flame or if permanent, a natural gas flame. In the past, radiator shops had them avaiable. The head can absorb a lot of BTUs and will transfer enough to get the connector, cable and solder fully heated. An electric, hand-held soldering iron just does not have the capacity to heat all the parts hot enough.
If there is a radiator repair shop that can re-core radiators, or repair radiator tanks(brass type), it could also likely repair these poorly soldered joints without need to replace the whole thing. Nice solution in case they are back-ordered, which I expect they are.
tom
My first thought was to just use a blow torch like one used to solder copper pipes. Might melt some of the insulation on the wire if you are not careful, but you can always cover that with shrink wrap/electrical tape. Not the cleanest solution but beats waiting weeks for a new $600 cable that is on national backorder.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
sadly I got a notification yesterday morning that my truck entered deep sleep šŸ™ it was an isolated incident and was able to start and drive fine afterward but I hope itā€™s not a sign of things to come. I was moving it around short distances in my driveway multiple times the day before so itā€™s possible that this was the cause but Iā€™m hesitant to believe it.
Iā€™ve also had one instance of deep sleep mode when doing a lot of ā€œnon-ICE-chargingā€ in the drive activities without any lengthy drives. I hope this was the sole cause, but am preparing to be strandedā€¦..I guess.

Quality is Job 1. Built Ford Tough.

@Ford Motor Company

Castagnola11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo C30, Jeep Renegade, Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my Maverick for 3 weeks, driven about 500 miles. Recently I've noticed that when I start it up and drive the truck is using ICE for the first half mile or so and then electric mode will kick in. Is this a charging issue that I need to address now? It's been unusually cool here for June, I thought maybe it was just the trucking needing to warm up.

if this is something I need to get checked out, what's the best way to describe the current battery issue with this truck?

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my Maverick for 3 weeks, driven about 500 miles. Recently I've noticed that when I start it up and drive the truck is using ICE for the first half mile or so and then electric mode will kick in. Is this a charging issue that I need to address now? It's been unusually cool here for June, I thought maybe it was just the trucking needing to warm up.

if this is something I need to get checked out, what's the best way to describe the current battery issue with this truck?
Chances are the ICE is running because the HVB is in need of charging. Normal.

Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The engine will run until its up to operating temp when cold. Its not necessary to charge anything just to warm up the engine. So its normal to run when cold.
Yes, but if the HVB is below threshold upon start up, the ICE will run too. It's what they do. Temp and/or HVB threshold.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I guess my Mav is different, I can start mine drive it out of driveway, down the block and then downhill 1.25m, while charging, then get on the highway until I get up to boot 35mph. Before the ICE powers on.

I live in Texas, get in it everyday when its about 90Ā°, and it has about half charge by EV coach.

I thought it depends on how much of a charge the HVB gets before you shut it down, I glide a couple hundred yds.. before I shut it off, so it has a charge in the HVB.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
tom
FYI about 8 months ago I had a 38 year old radiator that I needed to have serviced or replaced with a new one which was almost $600.00 I finally found a shop that would work on it that was about 45 miles away. Took almost a month to find a new neck. Got lucky only $60 to repair. Old guy said repair work was drying up and most shops were closing because of new aluminium and plastic radiators were just replaced when they had a problem.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to all you previous members that have done the footwork and handled the hassell of dealing with the dealerships.

I have a good grip on this, I will perform my own repair. I have worked in Semiconductor maintenance for 17y and 13yrs as a PCB board tech, I gave soldering classes to fellow PCB assembly and repair personnel.
I have repaired plated through hole on 10 layer PCBs and even did some SMT hand soldering, I have attended Electrovert wave soldering machine factory school which soldered PTH and SMT. I have remount battery packs to the frame from under hood. Wire 2000w stereo systems, and used 00 power wire and soldered these.

You have to use Flux and have absolutely clean metal surfaces, BTUs are huge but have to be contained and controlled. I have soldered with 60/40as well as utectic solder, with the new laws now we have to do soldering lead free. Now it gets tricky if we have dissimilar metals.

This repair should not be that big of a deal, if I can get the end of the cable up far enough to supply heat. When I do these kinds of repairs I usually will take the lug and set it in a vise, melt the solder in a pool and then insert the fluxed wire/cable into the lug full of melted solder, did this with OTR diesel trucks and 00 cable and several connections.

I will take pics and do a little write up..

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to all you previous members that have done the footwork and handled the hassell of dealing with the dealerships.

I have a good grip on this, I will perform my own repair. I have worked in Semiconductor maintenance for 17y and 13yrs as a PCB board tech, I gave soldering classes to fellow PCB assembly and repair personnel.
I have repaired plated through hole on 10 layer PCBs and even did some SMT hand soldering, I have attended Electrovert wave soldering machine factory school which soldered PTH and SMT. I have remount battery packs to the frame from under hood. Wire 2000w stereo systems, and used 00 power wire and soldered these.

You have to use Flux and have absolutely clean metal surfaces, BTUs are huge but have to be contained and controlled. I have soldered with 60/40as well as utectic solder, with the new laws now we have to do soldering lead free. Now it gets tricky if we have dissimilar metals.

This repair should not be that big of a deal, if I can get the end of the cable up far enough to supply heat. When I do these kinds of repairs I usually will take the lug and set it in a vise, melt the solder in a pool and then insert the fluxed wire/cable into the lug full of melted solder, did this with OTR diesel trucks and 00 cable and several connections.

Where did you learn PCB repair and soldering. I used to teach circuit card repair when I was in the Air Force.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alot of it self taught, worked as a engineering tech as well, I picked up some here, a little over there, school, Community College, solder classes, and good old books. I never turn down a chance to learn, ask lots of questions. I served in Coast Guard in 70s, worked on everything. You know how the service works, always progressing and learning. Thx for your service as well. It all interests me. Mechanical, electrical, electronics, programming. Worked for Andrew corp(antennas/dishes red lightning bolt). Advanced Micro Devices, fastest processor in the world.

I am an elite welder as well, I just got into TIG lately, have done about 10 304 ss complete exhaust systems from scratch, on my jetta I did from turbo to tailpipe, I think 13 seperate pieces. Welded aluminum, have no less then 4 welders, plasma cutter, am a decent fabricator.

I have done some stuff in my life.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alot of it self taught, worked as a engineering tech as well, I picked up some here, a little over there, school, Community College, solder classes, and good old books. I never turn down a chance to learn, ask lots of questions. I served in Coast Guard in 70s, worked on everything. You know how the service works, always progressing and learning. Thx for your service as well. It all interests me. Mechanical, electrical, electronics, programming. Worked for Andrew corp(antennas/dishes red lightning bolt). Advanced Micro Devices, fastest processor in the world.

I am an elite welder as well, I just got into TIG lately, have done about 10 304 ss complete exhaust systems from scratch, on my jetta I did from turbo to tailpipe, I think 13 seperate pieces. Welded aluminum, have no less then 4 welders, plasma cutter, am a decent fabricator.

I have done some stuff in my life.
Wow, you certainly have done some stuff with your life! Makes me wonder what I did with mine šŸ˜†! I learned my solder, circuit card repair, SMT etc from Navy's 2M program (Miniature/ Micro-miniature). I was the 1st AF technician certified to teach their program and then brought it back to the AF and turned it into a standard for AF. What always impressed me with the Navy and Coast Guard was once you left port you had to able to repair everything! No running to backshop like we could. Thanks for your Service! I know Coasties don't get the credit they deserve for all the hard, real life work they do everyday!

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, hopefully you're coolant is something simple. I found out the hard way that coolant overflow is under pressure! I didn't look at any of warning āš  labels on container when I removed one of the hoses! The stuff came shooting out of for a second or two before I got that hose reconnected! :LOL:
I was trying to move the container out of the way to get to a bracket I dropped in the engine bay.
Did you do that on your Maverick? You will need to bleed the air out of the system and refill with the Ford coolant. Super easy process. Luckily the coolant didnā€™t burn you. I know that sounds like an oxy moron.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for offering to take pictures. So far there has been none of exactly what the problem is and how to go about soldering. Looking forward to your posts.
Sponsored