Sponsored

[UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.]

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The following information on this thread is a chronological order of events I went though when my Hybrid Maverick was experiencing these issues. To my knowledge, there are two known causes for this. 1) Bad soldering connection somewhere in the wiring harness that must either be fixed by a "resolder" wherever the bad connection is, or replacement of the wiring harness. It is unknown if the replacement wiring harness has been updated and fixed. Or 2) Poor vehicle software causing modules to remain awake while the car is off and thus drain the battery over a period of time. My issue was #2 according to my service paperwork. A new software update fixed the issue for my Maverick according to my dealership.

First Update: Fixed for now at least, took it to the dealer, they performed a load test on the battery, it failed (any battery with only 2.15 volts will fail a load test), so they replaced the battery. They didn't perform a parasitic draw test like I hoped they would but if this happens again, I will make sure they do next time.

Another Update 2/4/22: After the dealer replaced the battery a couple days ago, I just got another FordPass Deep Sleep Mode notification. I checked the battery voltage with my multimeter while the car was off and with doors closed, and it read 11.6 volts. So it does look like the battery is draining on it's own for sure and the first battery wasn't just a "bad battery" as new batteries should read 12.6 volts. I have a Mercedes with a 4 year old battery that still reads 12.3 volts with the car off. I'll give it another day or 2, see if it completely dies out again, and back to the dealer it goes...

ANOTHER Update 2/6/22: Went to start it this morning, truck would not start, instrument gauge was on without the key in the ignition and flickering, key fob unresponsive, relays were going crazy and there was a grinding noise coming from the brake pedal area. Battery voltage is 10.1 volts.

UPDATE 2/7/22: Dropped it off at the dealer again this morning, was able to jump start it. When the car started, the check engine light was on and a red triangle light illuminated on the dash. 5 codes were stored in the ECU.

UPDATE 2/12/22: It has been at the dealer now for 6 days with no updates or ideas what the problem is. My service advisor reserved a Ford Ecosport Loaner for me which I picked up today.

Update 2/22/22: It has been over 2 weeks now that the Mav has been at the dealer. My service advisor informed me yesterday that no progress has been made on finding the cause of the issue.

Update 2/24/22: It is still at the dealer but my service advisor just called and said a Ford engineer will be coming to the dealership today to inspect my car.

UPDATE 3/8/22: Picked up the Maverick from the dealer today after 31 days sitting there. Ford Customer relations called me 3 days ago saying they think the dealership fixed the problem and that it will be at the dealer for the next few days for observation. Last Night (3/7/22), my service advisor called me to inform me that the issue was fixed. However, my Maverick was not connected to the FordPass network for the last couple days indicating that the battery was either disconnected or dead. When I picked it up today, it ran fine, the check engine light was off, and no flickering lights. I drove home (about a 3 mile drive), parked and went inside to have lunch. About an hour later, low and behold I got another "Remote Features Disabled/Deep Sleep Mode" FordPass app notification. My heart dropped and I went outside and put my multimeter directly to the battery, sure enough, 12.1 Volts indicating a drain/low charge level once again. (A fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts.)

UPDATE 3/13/22: Have had the truck back in my possession now for 5 days and it hasn't died yet. I only got 1 deep sleep mode notification on the day I got the truck back. About a week before that, I noticed a notification on my FordPass app that said the software has been updated to the most recent version. I believe this may have been the fix for my issue. Normally, my Mav would have died by now. As far as the deep sleep mode notification and 12.1v battery reading the day I got it back (3/8/22), I think that may have been because the dealer didn't fully recharge my battery before returning the car to me. Will keep driving the truck and update. Otherwise, the truck is driving great so far.

UPDATE 3/22/22: I believe the issue is fully resolved. I haven’t had any deep sleep mode notifications nor has the battery voltage dropped. Truck drives great!

UPDATE 4/9/22: I guess I can consider this issue fully resolved. Haven't had any deep sleep mode notifications or any issues so far. I believe pre-software update, there was a glitch causing some type of module in the vehicle to remain awake or active causing a battery drain. That, or the dealer found a bad connection somewhere and fixed it without telling me or writing that on the service paperwork. Perhaps they knew about it and didn't want to replace the wiring harness so they just did a DIY fix wherever the bad connection was. Just speculation though.

UPDATE 9/12/2022: I haven't been active on this forum that much recently but ended up selling the Maverick to Carvana a few months back. I didn't have any issues between the 4/9 update and the time I sold it though. I just felt as if the Maverick was just a ticking time bomb. I had hopes and dreams of taking it on a cross country road trip but just had a gut feeling that I shouldn't risk it in this vehicle. I also now don't believe that a "Software Update" fixed my Maverick. I think my dealership's techs ghetto rigged the wiring harness somehow and lied to me as my service paperwork doesn't even show the exact remedy to the issue. No other members are claiming that a software update fixed their issue either. I had a horrible experience with the service department at my dealership, was constantly lied to, fed bullsh*t stories, etc. My service advisor's stories and excuses never added up. And the Maverick spent more time there than in my driveway in the 5 months I owned it.

I don't regret my decision either. Every day on the news, you see a new Ford vehicle getting recalled. I've never dealt with a worse car brand in my entire life. The highest level of leadership you can contact at Ford is either the GM at your dealership (who will tell you to contact the service department), or the customer relations department which doesn't really do anything at all other than "monitor" your situation.

I will continue to follow this forum out of curiosity but no longer own a Maverick. I wish the best of luck to those who are roughing it out and willing to deal with all the recalls and issues but I just couldn't.

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] image1

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] image2

ORIGINAL POST:

I've been getting FordPass app notifications saying my vehicle has entered "Deep Sleep Mode" because the battery charge level is low. In addition to this, the door open/ignition chime started playing out of a small speaker within the steering column instead of the car speakers. Keep in mind, the vehicle was driven every day and nothing electrical was left on or plugged in while parked. I also noticed the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) was kicking on sooner and more frequently over the last 2 weeks causing my MPG to drop as well. Probably trying to recharge the 12v battery.

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] image0

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] image0(1)

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] image1
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not the first time we've seen reports of a dead 12v battery. Too bad it happened to you as well.
Yup, I’m just glad it happened in my driveway and I didn’t get stuck somewhere. Will try jump starting it later but I don’t know how that will go as the battery is only at 2 volts.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always say the only good hybrid is a dead hybrid! :p Not seeing a problem here 🤷‍♂️

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, if it couldn't get any worse, it just did. Aside from dealing with the various rattles of the Maverick and having to fix the tint that the dealer scratched while attempting to fix the rear rattle, over the last 2 weeks, I've been getting FordPass app notifications saying my vehicle has entered "Deep Sleep Mode" because the battery charge level is low. In addition to this, the door open/ignition chime started playing out of a small speaker within the steering column instead of the car speakers. Keep in mind, the vehicle was driven every day and nothing electrical was left on or plugged in while parked. I also noticed the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) was kicking on sooner and more frequently over the last 2 weeks causing my MPG to drop as well. Probably trying to recharge the 12v battery.

Oddzball has reported this issue as well. I believe it is a VERY BAD parasitic electrical drain as my 12v Battery voltage is only reading 2.15 volts. It looks like it may even be a recall that Ford hasn't found out about yet. If you are getting these FordPass notifications as well or the chime plays through the steering column, it may be a sign your Maverick has this issue too.

image0.jpeg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.png
So sorry. You've had a run of bad luck with that truck. I hope your dealership takes care of you and your Mav gets properly sorted.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, if it couldn't get any worse, it just did. Aside from dealing with the various rattles of the Maverick and having to fix the tint that the dealer scratched while attempting to fix the rear rattle, over the last 2 weeks, I've been getting FordPass app notifications saying my vehicle has entered "Deep Sleep Mode" because the battery charge level is low. In addition to this, the door open/ignition chime started playing out of a small speaker within the steering column instead of the car speakers. Keep in mind, the vehicle was driven every day and nothing electrical was left on or plugged in while parked. I also noticed the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) was kicking on sooner and more frequently over the last 2 weeks causing my MPG to drop as well. Probably trying to recharge the 12v battery.

Oddzball has reported this issue as well. I believe it is a VERY BAD parasitic electrical drain as my 12v Battery voltage is only reading 2.15 volts. It looks like it may even be a recall that Ford hasn't found out about yet. If you are getting these FordPass notifications as well or the chime plays through the steering column, it may be a sign your Maverick has this issue too.

image0.jpeg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.png
Did you check the battery post connections for good contact and corrosion?

johnpbrewer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah they’re brand new and nice and tight.
From all the issues I've read about on this forum, seems like the build or design quality is not that good on these Mavericks. Being built under pressure so maybe that is an issue. Kind of glad mine is still not scheduled and might even be pushed to 2023. I drive a 2008 Ranger and have had no problems other than normal wear and tear. A hose, the alternator, and the thermostat is all that I've had to do unscheduled maintenance on for 260,000 miles. Could use a new muffler, but putting that off.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

image0.jpeg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.png
It appears there is a white USB cable plugged into the USB port and it appears that nothing is plugged into the other end. Cables for Apple products have chips in them and while that is a normally a tiny drain, the cable may have gone bad and is causing a problem.

Not likely, but that's all I got.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears there is a white USB cable plugged into the USB port and it appears that nothing is plugged into the other end. Cables for Apple products have chips in them and while that is a normally a tiny drain, the cable may have gone bad and is causing a problem.

Not likely, but that's all I got.
I thought of that but I actually just got that cable 2 days ago and the messages started even before that.

Robrmrz7

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and ordered a maverick lariat

image0.jpeg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.png
So sorry hope they get you back on the road

Davido49

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4

image0.jpeg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.png
Never ever heard this issue. It is a 1st yr vehicle. I'm sure Ford will come up w/ a fix for you. Don't despair! I have a Lariat FX4 w/Ecoboost not the hybrid model. Mine has been impeccable. Super solid an very quick. We love our. Also own a '20 Ranger FX4 Ecoboost that's been a great truck so far 2yrs in /24k mis. Wish you the best! - Ohio

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm on day four with my hybrid, so far no issues....knock on wood.