First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This misinformation keeps being repeated. The EPA doesn't need to approve anything. Automakers test their own cars according to the SAE standard and provide the numbers to the EPA.
And then the EPA chooses models at random to check/verify the Ford results. THEN they approve the new model for sale. Or so I've been told...
Sponsored

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct, The EPA_CAN_ run their own tests. But that doesn't hold up production or sale. This is all detailed on the EPA website, if you or anyone else would choose to read it.

I'm speaking about fact on the process, you are making assumptions about what is happening and who knows what. You don't know what Ford is waiting on or what is happening.
It doesn't necessarily hold up production; but specifically prohibits sale.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know the intricacies of EPA mileage ratings either, but in general the government has manufactures test and certify their own performance. Enforcement comes from penalties that can be assessed after the fact if subsequent testing or consumer complaints reveal the numbers to be bad. If this works in the same way, then Ford is balancing risk of overstating (penalties) against cost of understating (losing publicity and sales if the numbers aren't exciting enough).

I'm skeptical that Ford actually needs a certified government test to sell.
They may or may not need a "certified government test to sell"; but THEY DO NEED EPA PERMISSION.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And then the EPA chooses models at random to check/verify the Ford results. THEN they approve the new model for sale. Or so I've been told...
Ok, here's what I've been able to glean from reading this forum:

-The EPA is holding up the hybrid to check the emissions numbers.
-The EPA is holding up the hybrid to check the MPG numbers.
-The EPA randomly decided to test the hybrid.
-The EPA is testing the hybrid because Ford tried to fake them out with Escape data.
-The EPA is testing the hybrid because Ford changed the transmission after testing.
-The EPA is testing the hybrid because Ford thinks they can get better MPG numbers.

Different people on here believe different explanations.

I believe them all... I blame the drugs...

Sponsored

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to clarify, did the dealer mention anything about “hybrids not being approved by the government” lol. Just hearkening back to the original controversy of this thread: “government approval” vs simply a backlog of thousands of orders in a constrained supply chain. Some Hybrid orders have an estimated delivery date on the trackers of less than 2 weeks from today.
But still with ZERO confirmed deliveries??? Is that not right?

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know where this information comes from they are using the same platform as the escape it's already been tested and approved!!!!!
It's a different vehicle; different size, weight and at least some internals. The MPG is likely to change with some vehicle changes. Thus the perceived need for EPA testing and approval. AFTER it gets EPA approval they will start selling; but not until then.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a different vehicle; different size, weight and at least some internals. The MPG is likely to change with some vehicle changes. Thus the perceived need for EPA testing and approval. AFTER it gets EPA approval they will start selling; but not until then.
🤙

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We do know that there are hybrid Mavericks out there. We also know that no-one can actually buy one yet! Let's just hope that this hurdle is an easy one to manage so that we can get to the finish line and even perhaps buy our new hybrid! I can only hope that perhaps they can begin to ship before the Dec. 8th date (if indeed that is the magic date)! ;)

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
My hybrid original build date week was 10-11 then a few weeks ago it changed to 10-18. Yesterday evening Ford dropped a Friday surprise of 10-25 build date. I guess it just means it will be setting in the hot parking lot in Mexico one week less. I'm so curious about the mpg rating with the new magnets and magnet V patterns in the motor. I'm hopeing the figures are a little higher than they thought after seeing all the test drives. I'm guessing 42 city, 36 hwy, 39 combined. We will see how my crystal ball is working.
*Hybrid velocity blue XLT moonroof slider window inverter*

Sponsored

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my list of things I cannot control, I include the people in my family - and Ford Motor Company.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid original build date week was 10-11 then a few weeks ago it changed to 10-18. Yesterday evening Ford dropped a Friday surprise of 10-25 build date. I guess it just means it will be setting in the hot parking lot in Mexico one week less. I'm so curious about the mpg rating with the new magnets and magnet V patterns in the motor. I'm hopeing the figures are a little higher than they thought after seeing all the test drives. I'm guessing 42 city, 36 hwy, 39 combined. We will see how my crystal ball is working.
*Hybrid velocity blue XLT moonroof slider window inverter*
I feel like we keep going in circles on this one, where did you get the idea that they used a different electric motor in the test and pre production vehicles that led them to the 40mpg estimated city number?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NBK9NBK

NBK9NBK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
KWANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update

Got the below email out of the blue. Rep told them that the epa approval is getting sorted and the 7 month estimate is now much shorter

Great news, your Maverick is previewing this morning, meaning its going to build right away. great news for all hybrid customers. it looks like Ford is getting things done. We have been lobbying hard for our customers.

Expect much sooner than anticipated... perhaps mid Dec.
Sponsored