With a unibody how does it get repaired if rear ended, or any body damage
Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Google it, lots of (mainly bodyshop) references. What some say:
'While this newer frame design has many benefits, the cost to repair a unibody frame is typically higher since damage to one part of the frame means there’s damage to the whole frame."

"When a car is in a crash or accident, the frame or unibody can bend, break, or otherwise be compromised. A unibody frame is designed to collapse upon impact to absorb crash forces better than a body-on-frame vehicle; that improves safety for the occupants. Unfortunately, this means that a unibody vehicle can more easily develop major structural damage in a crash."

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Google it, lots of (mainly bodyshop) references. What some say:
'While this newer frame design has many benefits, the cost to repair a unibody frame is typically higher since damage to one part of the frame means there’s damage to the whole frame."

"When a car is in a crash or accident, the frame or unibody can bend, break, or otherwise be compromised. A unibody frame is designed to collapse upon impact to absorb crash forces better than a body-on-frame vehicle; that improves safety for the occupants. Unfortunately, this means that a unibody vehicle can more easily develop major structural damage in a crash."
Thank you, just reading that, hmm I may rethink the Maverick

Sponsored

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow thanks for the helpful info
I don’t think they were being sarcastic. Nearly every vehicle produced other than trucks are unibody construction. If they are involved in an accident, they are repaired at a collision center unless they are totaled. There is no reason to think a unibody Maverick would be any different.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
With a unibody how does it get repaired if rear ended, or any body damage
It all depends on the damage. But in general, it's not much different than body on frame vehicles, with the exception that you can't just lift the cab or the bed off of it. But, yes, body panels can be replaced or repaired.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow thanks for the helpful info
What do you want to know specifically? Light accidents will probably just get pieces/ parts replaced. Bigger ones will require a trip to the rack to get pulled into shape. This prob will also require some panels to be replaced requiring drilling spot welds and welding on new ones.

*not a body guy. Worked at an auto recycler for years

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to alarm people but insurance for a front wheel drive unibody vehicle is typically higher than a comparable rear wheel drive body on frame construction. I anticipate the insurance for the Maverick to be a bit more than my Ranger. The 'truck' aspect may factor in as well and lower the rates but we will have to see.

ATXcaraholic

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Smart ForTwo Prime
Engine
Undecided
Should be straight forward as far as unibody repairs. The rear bed panel is actually a bolted on fender, just like the front fender, so it can be unbolted and replaced. Under the the top bed protector plastic covers are some mounting bolts along with some behind the tail light assembly and you can even see one when you open one of the passenger rear doors, right at the door striker. Makes for an easy repair.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do you want to know specifically? Light accidents will probably just get pieces/ parts replaced. Bigger ones will require a trip to the rack to get pulled into shape. This prob will also require some panels to be replaced requiring drilling spot welds and welding on new ones.

*not a body guy. Worked at an auto recycler for years
Thanks that was helpful

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quick delete this thread,
carfax IS MONITORING and will slap the dreaded "structural damage" :eek: on your Maverick :censored:

There will be NO disputing nope NO arbitration. You can't even call them!

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember Chevrolet back in the 90's being late to the game with composite aerodynamic headlights claiming that their trucks are used on farms, ranches, and other jobsites and are subject to damage. They said customer surveys indicated owners wanted cheap and easy bulb replacement vs. expensive composite assemblies. Fast forward a few decades, I was totally surprised to see these new multi-articulating tailgates with steps and multi-sections probably costing $8,000 or more! Tailgates being one of the most damaged truck body parts and all.

All of that makes the whole Maverick unibody concern seem insignificant, at least to me.

I bought one of the first unibody compact SUVs and it served me well for many years, and I used it in a utility fashion.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
carfax IS MONITORING and will slap the dreaded "structural damage" :eek: on your Maverick :censored:

😂

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt

I know! they did the same thing to my '76 pinto stallion. Little polish, rub right out. Yes, this is my actual car, I was 16. Loved that car - removed the seat belts, they were so uncool

Ford Maverick Unibody repair pinto
Sponsored