Sponsored

Unibody or Frame question

• Thread starter Deleted member 528
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 528

The Ranger is a box on frame and the Maverick a unibody - Touring Canada and the US towing a 3000lbs trailer -Any issue doing it with a unibody, 2.0L engine or will I just shorten the life expectancy of the smaller engine. Thanks.
Sponsored

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.0L turbo with AWD with the 4K tow package should handle it ok. The unibody has nothing to do with the life expectancy of the engine.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
For me the question mark will be the 2.0 engine. While it certainly has the power, will the turbo be a good bet when towing? I would be tracking down a trusted service manager who will divulge if the engine has any heat related or other issues when equipped with a tow package for the amount of weight you want to tow. As far as unitized construction, IMO, the 3rd gen Dodge Durango which is uni-body, is one of the best tow vehicles made.
*On another note, inclines w/weight added can cause a vehicle to run warmer than normal, take that into consideration before spec'ing & buying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 528

Good point. I might check some Durango forum.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me the question mark will be the 2.0 engine. While it certainly has the power, will the turbo be a good bet when towing? I would be tracking down a trusted service manager who will divulge if the engine has any heat related or other issues when equipped with a tow package for the amount of weight you want to tow. As far as unitized construction, IMO, the 3rd gen Dodge Durango which is uni-body, is one of the best tow vehicles made.
*On another note, inclines w/weight added can cause a vehicle to run warmer than normal, take that into consideration before spec'ing & buying.
I can't speak to the 2.0L Turbo, but the 3.5L in my F150 is an absolute beast. Kicks ass compared to the 5.0 V8 NA. (Yes, those are fighting words - especially coming from someone who has been in the V8 fan club all my life).

ETA: It tows my 3K# 20' flatbed plus 4K# L-series tractor almost like nothing is attached. For evidence, take a look at some of the Fast Lane Truck Gauntlet videos of the eco-boost.
Sponsored