First Name
Csmith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review a question for you guys/gals that have your trucks am worried about the antenna mast. Have you been through a car wash? the car washes in my area have a MONSTER brush that cover hood, roof, trunk. I don't mind washing my vehicles weather permitting but when it gets cold I go to the car wash. Do you remove the mast, it comes off right??
Tell the car wash guy to turn off the overhead brushes. They do it for my wife's escape that has a Thule kayak rack on top.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Great review a question for you guys/gals that have your trucks am worried about the antenna mast. Have you been through a car wash? the car washes in my area have a MONSTER brush that cover hood, roof, trunk. I don't mind washing my vehicles weather permitting but when it gets cold I go to the car wash. Do you remove the mast, it comes off right??
I don't know if it would help but a person said you can replace the antenna with a what is called STUBBY antenna for $20 on Amazon. Much shorter & they claim they didn't lose any signals in the switch

drmoreau

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, BMW Moto
Car Wash? In my world that is called rain.

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So funny, I just mentioned this to my son the other day when we were going down the road. Not a big deal, of course, but I just said you'd figure someone would have seen that in some sort of test driving. Then again, at 20K starting point, maybe they did and just moved along!
My 2018 F-150 had a few odd puddles that would form when driving 30-35 MPH, and if you suddenly accelerated they would spray up into the windshield all at once. About a pint of water each. Was never really a problem, just kind of an odd aerodynamic quirk.

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know if it would help but a person said you can replace the antenna with a what is called STUBBY antenna for $20 on Amazon. Much shorter & they claim they didn't lose any signals in the switch
Do you know what model/thread pitch antenna is compatable?

Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've looked at that, reading the amazing listing it sounds like most people don't notice reception loss, but there definitely is a loss. The manufacturer admits some people have issues with it.
I think I'm likely to get the stubby anyway just for looks.

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the detailed write-up. It's nice to hear the experiences of others as I await the arrival of my Lariat late Feb/Mar. Build week it Feb 7.

I know a lot of folks don't like the auto start/stop feature, but I have it on my 2018 Escape and I like it....when it works... which is rarely. It seems to be pretty random, whether on long trips or around town every now and then I'll stop at a light and it kicks in but with no consistency whatever, completely unpredictable. I'm hoping that whatever the technology is it's improved in the Maverick.

rcheneyjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two Thousand Miles in

After a month of ownership and a few thousand miles of travel, I have gotten to know my new Maverick a little better and its pros and cons. This is my first new Ford and only the second ever in my family (and that was a brief engagement). I share this only to note I had no brand loyalty or significant history with it.

I have a Lariat with the FX4 package, Tow package and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires.

During the month the I have been able to put the Maverick through its paces. It’s driven on country roads, Interstate and gravel/dirt in both dry and extremely wet conditions. I’ve been able to legitimately use the different drive modes (except towing) and the various drive aids that came with the model and trim I have. I have done few DIY projects in the bed. I have sat in it on Zoom calls. I reclined the seat and attempted to nap waiting for one of my kids to get out of school. It’s carried a bed full of alfalfa and feed and a back seat full of groceries. It’s experienced real-life use.

The Gripes/misfires

The gripes are minimal. To steal a line from Neil Young, “Just because your problems are meaningless doesn’t make them go away.” Given the price point Ford was laudably trying to maintain, I get that choices had to me made.

The various cubbies and storage hitches are great. Couldn’t one be for a phone with a charge/Car Play cable attached? How about a secure spot for the key fob, maybe even one that recharges the fob battery?

Initially I was impressed with the automatic hi/lo beam headlights. I thought they were slick. While they work very, very well, on undulating roads or going through town they tend to flick back and forth strobe-light style and will flash cars from behind. It’s easy to address of course. It was one of those things I loved at first but I have turned it off likely never to be used again.

The fuse box in the engine bay. Good grief. It’s designed like an escape room, you have to find clues to get it open. Cheap clips and an over engineered design make getting to the fuses unnecessarily complicated. And no fuse map on the lid as has been common in vehicles forever. C’mon man!

The lever used to hold up the hood is right out of a 1973 Datsun. I chuckled “That helped with the price point” when I first used it. Unimportant I realize as it does the job.

Engine sound going from 0-15…is…whiny.

Location of some controls. Overall the switchgear in the Maverick is wonderfully basic and easy to use. One set of controls on the center console between the Drive selector (which I like) and a set of storage bins is in an unfortunate location. Given the landscape of the dash it would seem this set of controls could have been incorporated there instead of an area where you are apt to inadvertently hit one and where dirt and dust are going to collect.

Storage.jpg

Some of the wiring running from the bed to the engine bay seems dangerously exposed to the elements. Simple clips hold most of it in place and some connections seem to be at risk from road grime exposure and build up.

I connected Ford Pass when I bought the vehicle. I played around a bit, locked and unlocked the car, started it remotely etc. I have never opened the App again. We’ll see if it adds value over time.

The Positives-

It drives so very well. Quiet, composed in all situations. Plenty of power. Driven very conservatively, you can eek out 30 Mpg. No Buzzing, whistles or unusual cabin noise. Entry and exit are easy.

The interior is basic but a very nice place to be. I have not understood why car manufactures went away from making utilitarian models. No faux carbon, no chrome, no Walnut. Easy to clean and you are not sweating a scuff. Keeps costs down and fits the needs of most buyers. I do not have heated seats but the cabin gets cozy very quickly on cold mornings.

Electronic interfaces are easy to navigate. Whether on the Touchscreen or the Gauge Cluster the menus and controls are intuitive. This is no small thing and I think they nailed it.

Physical buttons and switches are for the most part simple and exactly where you expect them to be. It is so refreshing to be able to control the climate and sound with simple knobs and buttons and not a touchscreen.

It looks great. The more I am around it, the shape from all angles is active and attractive. Just enough ZOOM to it. It looks confident and comfortable in its own skin.

Truck.jpg

The headlights are fantastic. The low beams give you a very full view from side to side without blinding oncoming traffic. The best I have ever had.

The bed is useful. Whether my bike, DIY gear and ski rack or Alfalfa it has already proven to be useful and flexible. The rear light gives you enough to see your stuff at night.

The windshield wipers-I live in a place that rains…a lot. Wipers, their controls and speed variance actually matter here in a way most parts of the country may not care about. The simple design and options for delay are perfect for the wild and varied weather we have part of the year.

Auto Stop/Start-in every previous car I have driven with these systems they have felt harried and rough. The Maverick however has little drama. The response is immediate and the system is quiet and feels seamless.

Brake Assist-This is controlled by one of the buttons whose location I question. It turns on a brake “hold” that keeps you from rolling forward when in Drive with your foot off the gas after you come to a complete stop. In stop and go traffic it is such a nice feature.

One oddity. I embedded a video showing an odd but consistent phenomenon. On the hood when driving in the rain water collects in a pool in two locations. It drains away perfectly when standing still, and the pools drain immediately when you stop, turn or accelerate. But if you drive 45-60 MPH 1 inch pools of water will dance in those locations for miles.
I have never bought a car in the first year of its introduction for all the traditional reasons. So far all I can say is that the Maverick is meeting or exceeding my expectations. It feels confident and competent, well-constructed and thoughtfully designed. My only regret is thinking about the minor improvements in the next model that I will not get to enjoy.

Nice Review! I live in AZ, so I do not see an issue with water on the hood. The one thing i see about the hood 'lever' is that it was terribly hot when I opened the hood the first time. That may also be an AZ thing.

rcheneyjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m only 700 miles in but I agree with you a most things, and haven’t formed opinion yet on others! Hood prop is cheap but works. Auto high beams are cool but I’m gonna turn them off too. Im getting along well with the auto start stop feature…

nice write up sir!
The auto stop/start is much better on my Mav than on my wife's 2021 Highlander!

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to hear people are finding the auto start/stop acceptable. The one time I've had it was a rental and it felt really weird.
I expect I'll get used to it no matter what.
The auto highbeams on the other hand, are you able to turn them off permanently or is it an every time you start the vehicle thing?
My subaru I don't think about the headlights unless I'm sitting in a parking lot with my lights pointed at another person.
My new car has auto high beams. At first I didn't like them. After a few weeks they seemed to function perfectly so they are now on. I do notice that the first few minutes of operation they do not go to high beam. Only after a few miles of driving do they function at all.

Sponsored

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice Review! I live in AZ, so I do not see an issue with water on the hood. The one thing i see about the hood 'lever' is that it was terribly hot when I opened the hood the first time. That may also be an AZ thing.
😅😅 "AZ thing"

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I've looked at that, reading the amazing listing it sounds like most people don't notice reception loss, but there definitely is a loss. The manufacturer admits some people have issues with it.
I think I'm likely to get the stubby anyway just for looks.
I put a stubby jr on mine and I like the profile but there’s definitely a loss (maybe not in major metro areas, but I’m in a rural area). That said, I really don’t use the radio so I went in expecting that to happen and being fine with it (wife likes the stock one better tho 🤣)

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The antenna mast screws on/off. If you think it might be an issue you can just order a shorter one of amazon.

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review. (y)
I've owned my lariat Maverick for a month, but only have 400 miles on the odometer.
I don't like the stop/start feature, but I agree that is works, for the most part, seamlessly. It works far better that my last vehicle (2015 BMW X1) that had this feature.

I do wish the power socket and USB port did not stay powered on all the time. It makes connecting my new dash cam a more complicated endeavour, as I now have to hard wire it in. I could just pull the power socket plug each time I stop the vehicle, but I suspect I'd forget to unplug or plug it in half the time.
You could buy a USB switch on eBay -- about $14 for a 2-Pac

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Re: the pooling of water on the front hood, both my 2016 F-150 and 2019 Ranger did the same exact thing. Guessing there are some hood metalwork angles and aerodynamic factors at work. But, like you, I considered it a minor thing, and actually came to enjoy watching the pools develop, ripple/vibrate, and then flow away.
Sponsored