Tundra Hybrid over Maverick?

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
I hear the Tundra hybrid system is almost identical to the Ford F-150 Powerboost design. The Powerboost gets 24/24/24 MPG I believe.
Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nope. To me, the Tundra should just bow out of the market entirely because that 5.7 iForce V8 made that truck and I’ll be sad to see it go. I get emissions standards but anyone I know that bought one....bought it because a 5.0 F150 or a nice v8 or diesel F250 was too expensive in comparison....and that 5.7 sounds like a beast even with stock exhaust. A hybrid 5.7 V8 that didn’t suck (looking at you GM) and returned good gas mileage would be better but I and four other people in the US probably would be the only buyers haha.

Maybe I’m wrong and it’ll sell well, but I’m thinking if Ford can really get their stuff together with the Maverick, more people will gravitate towards smaller trucks and the Tundra, already not being as popular will still get left behind especially with dropping the V8. There is no comparison to the Maverick, a Tundra is a giant cruise liner on the road and I’ve driven a few. If your looking at a Maverick, a Tundra is probably far from consideration due to that alone.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
There are two general hybrid drivetrain designs. Tundra and F-150 Hybrid are both "torque converter replacement" designs. The torque converter is a source of a lot of inefficiency, thus the commonality of "lock-up TC." Putting a motor in front of the geared transmission takes care of the need for "slip" between a running engine and stopped wheels. It also handles take-off, allowing engine power to use simple clutches to engage the gears.

The other designs eliminate the conventional transmission in favor of some variation of series and/or parallel hybrid operation. Maverick is one of these.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not the Tundra hybrid, but I am cross-shopping with a Toyota Sienna LE AWD (hybrid is the only option). $10k more than the Maverick I want gets me AWD, 3500lbs towing, an enclosed 4x6x4ish space for cargo, and still gets 35mpg. Oh, and the option to carry me and 7 friends. If I had that many.

Someone who is wanting or needing an efficient, fully-capable truck with no budget constraint probably won't be cross-shopping the cheapest truck in America against anything else.

Don't get me wrong; the Maverick is great for its intended market. But if you want/need to haul a couple IBCs or tow a 20' enclosed, the Maverick isn't going to cut it.

Funny you mention that. I am guilty of strapping lumber, blinds, trim, and other long skinny stuff to my old NC's roll bar. But heck, it's flat across the top and is made of tig-welded .120" wall DOM, so it's probably better built than most headache racks.
Yep, done that with the NA when it was still plated.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any thoughts choosing this over the Maverick? I'm fully aware of the huge price difference. But for someone who's wanting a efficient but a fully capable truck without the budget constraint, won't the Tundra hybrid be a good choice?

It's a beast on its own segment. Definitely one of its kind and a noteworthy mention
If I'm spending your money, I'd go F150 Limited PowerBoost all day long..... 🤠

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The first new automobile i bought was a 1976 Toyota SR5 truck. Have driven Toyota products the majority of my life. I left Toyota products as their grills grew and grew. Just my preference but the new Tundra is the most hideous Toyota product yet.

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep, done that with the NA when it was still plated.
Same here with my NA and NB. Ratchet straps and a roll bar with the top down could get most things home. :LOL:

The first new automobile i bought was a 1976 Toyota SR5 truck. Have driven Toyota products the majority of my life. I left Toyota products as their grills grew and grew. Just my preference but the new Tundra is the most hideous Toyota product yet.
My first car was a 1976 Toyota Celica GT. It had 315k miles on it when I sold it. My last vehicle before the Maverick was a 2012 Tundra, also reliable as hell. But I agree that the new Tundra is ugly as sin and I would get an F150 Powerboost if I need to tow.

The Maverick does 90% of what I needed out of the Tundra with better fuel economy and easier parking. Bigger, heavier loads will just require two trips now.
Sponsored