Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid is going to be the same as any other FWD car/sedan you have used in the snow, tires are gonna make the difference.

It is odd that the AWD snow report threads tend to wind up being mostly Hybrid owners talking about how good they do in the snow with a mpg report thrown in for good measure lol.

The op was just explaining how the different drive modes work in the snow with the engine/trans/ptu of the AWD system, which is interesting to read. I have noticed the mode makes a drastic difference in the front to rear power bias when watching the intelligent drive screen, sport is almost 50/50 at all times unless there is slipping.
That's really true of all drive-type vehicles, when it comes to "special ie: snow/winter", performance. Tires are king, then there are sub-levels that add or subtract to the result.

Yes, a FWD vehicle fitted with proper winter tires will do well. But the same scenario with AWD thrown in will do better. And so on.

I suspect the FWD hijack crowd is mostly trying to re-convince themselves they don't "need" AWD. 🤠
Sponsored

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We got about 8 inches last week and I had no problem , it was interesting watching the Maverick go from FWD to AWD and back again. I have 30,000 miles on the stock Pirellis. I was on packed roads part of the time and actually first tracks on a few miles.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You need to enable sand/snow mode! Great in deep snow!

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid is going to be the same as any other FWD car/sedan you have used in the snow, tires are gonna make the difference.

It is odd that the AWD snow report threads tend to wind up being mostly Hybrid owners talking about how good they do in the snow with a mpg report thrown in for good measure lol.

The op was just explaining how the different drive modes work in the snow with the engine/trans/ptu of the AWD system, which is interesting to read. I have noticed the mode makes a drastic difference in the front to rear power bias when watching the intelligent drive screen, sport is almost 50/50 at all times unless there is slipping.
Ya that was interesting to me too. The other drive modes are really FW biased. I think this forum is pretty hybriid focused honestly, to your first point. Most eco members left once they got their trucks, which we all did within 4-8 months for the most part. I mostly stick around to see what mods people do… and some of the rediculous rants are entertainment lol

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I suspect the FWD hijack crowd is mostly trying to re-convince themselves they don't "need" AWD. 🤠
Most people probably don't need AWD, even in the snow, but the marketing departments of every auto manufacture loves to make you think you do because they make more profit on AWD vehicles. Both at the time and sale, and in after sale repairs and services. In 20 years of driving I can think of one time when AWD, or 4x4 might have helped. That said, I'm don't drive in the extreme back country, and don't drive in extreme weather conditions, because I have no reason or desire to to do so.

That said, AWD and 4X4 exist because they are useful in some scenarios. The people who do need it, get it and know why. The rest buy it because the people who do need it convince them that everyone needs it. Anyone who says that AWD and 4x4 are not useful hasn't encountered those scenarios, and that's okay too. AWD was invented for off road race cars, to make them faster coming out of sharp corners. Snow wasn't even a factor. 4x4 exists because RWD vehicles, trucks in particular, struggle often on soft surfaces (sand/mud/snow) due to a lack of weight over the drive wheels. Technology solves problems, no need to make it a us vs. them thing.

Sponsored

TdotMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I advise getting four snows/winters on rims. The same traction on all four corners is important. Also will keep the wear between winter tires and summer tires relatively even.
We're getting our Mav hopefully in next few days. Do you think the Mav with original all terrain tires will be ok for ONtario snow? Our theory is that new tires should be fine with AWD and may look to get snow tires next season since we're already halfway through winter

Angry Steve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We're getting our Mav hopefully in next few days. Do you think the Mav with original all terrain tires will be ok for ONtario snow? Our theory is that new tires should be fine with AWD and may look to get snow tires next season since we're already halfway through winter
I live in Ontario, and as the tires are new, you could probably get away with it. Pick your battles though.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About 3 weeks ago, we got 14 -17 inches of snow. We normally get this amount in 1 snowstorm about once a decade. A majority of those with AWD (also including my EB Mav with AWD) got to work after the storm ended. Those without AWD (and no snow tires) did not make it to work in their vehicle but needed to hitch a ride with someone who did. I loved plowing through deep snow! :giggle:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most people probably don't need AWD, even in the snow, but the marketing departments of every auto manufacture loves to make you think you do because they make more profit on AWD vehicles. Both at the time and sale, and in after sale repairs and services. In 20 years of driving I can think of one time when AWD, or 4x4 might have helped. That said, I'm don't drive in the extreme back country, and don't drive in extreme weather conditions, because I have no reason or desire to to do so.

That said, AWD and 4X4 exist because they are useful in some scenarios. The people who do need it, get it and know why. The rest buy it because the people who do need it convince them that everyone needs it. Anyone who says that AWD and 4x4 are not useful hasn't encountered those scenarios, and that's okay too. AWD was invented for off road race cars, to make them faster coming out of sharp corners. Snow wasn't even a factor. 4x4 exists because RWD vehicles, trucks in particular, struggle often on soft surfaces (sand/mud/snow) due to a lack of weight over the drive wheels. Technology solves problems, no need to make it a us vs. them thing.
Your choice of words, not mine. I prefer to think of it as an us AND them thing. ;)

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

That and you don't get a choice of FWD if you buy the 4k tow package as an option.

Sponsored

BlackMav23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4 4K, 2020 Tiguan SE 4-Motion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This afternoon our area in southern Ontario got hit with 6-8” of snow. So i got to test out the AWD system for my hour long (in good weather) commute home. The storm was fairly sudden, with lots of drifts. Multiple stuck vehicles passed on the way home. Maverick was incredible. I just have middle of the road goodyear winters. Never was close to getting stuck. Drifted every open corner with confidence. If you get your settings right, the AWD system is predictable, reliable, maintains traction and steerability impressively. Thats the coles notes… here’s some more in depth notes for whoever cares:

1. Drive modes: If you’re comfortable driving in these conditions, Sport mode W/O traction control gives you the most control. It ensures quicker access to the power when you need it and the downshift braking assist with stopping in the snow too. Its not perfect. I wish it would let you cruise in 8th gear… so on long straights i’d swap back to normal or slippery mode. If you’re trying to dart around a snowy town though, sport mode will be great.

If you arent super comfortable in snow, slippery or normal mode is fine. It just cuts power and understeers more than id like. It reacts more similarly to a FWD vehicle with good traction. Or a front weighted AWD vehicle like most SUVs.

2. Transmission: These are the only times I wish there was a manual mode. I recognize the cost and design complications this provides for a dial shifter vehicle. But I would love some paddle shifters for the 0.01% of my drives that involve heavy snow lol cuz heres a couple things that happen. On one side of things sport mode keeps you out of cruising gears mostly… so theres a kinda incessant whine between 40-60mph and the truck often cant figure out which gear it wants to be in. On the other side of things, even in sport mode ocassionally when youre feathering out a drift itll shift unexpectedly… which can be kinda jarring. It shifts very quickly so its not like it throws you into a fishtail or anything… but its enough that you’ll notice it when it happens and its discomforting.

in the end what i’m saying is it handles the snow like a champ. This drive was pretty extreme and i was avoiding travelled routes so i wouldn’t have to worry about other drives and avoiding accidents etc, so my route was even more snowy than it would have been. I never feared getting stuck. The truck always felt in control. My only gripe is how and when it puts the power down because of the above issue i mentioned. Its a manual shift selection mode away from being on par with any subaru you can find out there. Though in the mav’s defence… most subarus are now gutless CVTs that probably have similar power transmission ratio Selection issues as the maverick. But when comparing to the subarus of our hearts and memories, the ones that give you feel, control, and the ability to shift with this fancy thing us old people call a stick shifter… the lack of gear selection is my only small gripe with my Maverick’s snow performance.
I'm curious. Apologies if I missed it, but are you running stock tires?

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's really true of all drive-type vehicles, when it comes to "special ie: snow/winter", performance. Tires are king, then there are sub-levels that add or subtract to the result.

Yes, a FWD vehicle fitted with proper winter tires will do well. But the same scenario with AWD thrown in will do better. And so on.

Since I switched from rear drive cars to front drive in 1985, I have never needed AWD or 4wd. After all these years I need no 're-convincing' One of the main reasons I bought a Maverick is because it was available in FWD configuration.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I switched from rear drive cars to front drive in 1985, I have never needed AWD or 4wd. After all these years I need no 're-convincing' One of the main reasons I bought a Maverick is because it was available in FWD configuration.
Very good. I'm happy you're happy. :)

basemodel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Hybrid xl (ordered) (switched to EB)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now. I want this similar report with a hybrid. I've had good luck with fwd and for the past 6 years have carried chains but never needed them. As soon as I get my Maverick I'm getting some steelies and putting some snows on them. Will probably do four but considering just two. My Maverick is "in production" and might get it in Feb. So might wait till next snow season. Jeez, the timing.
the only problem I have had with fwd cars in snow is that when I lived in Tahoe they would literally stop fwd/rwd cars and trucks from going up to north tahoe where I lived. Otherwise I used to take a challenger with snow tires up snowboarding quite often when I didn't wanna drive my truck lol. So unless you live up in the mountains/ are gonna be driving on unpaved roads after a storm you don't really NEED AWD. I wouldn't buy a truck without awd/4x4 just due to the resale value though but the hybrid I would since it isnt even offered

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious. Apologies if I missed it, but are you running stock tires?
not for winter. Just some goodyear winters. Nothing fancy
Sponsored