Trick to shut off TPMS light

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forte GT, Prius Prime, Forte GT-line, Maverick awd
  • Banned
Little trick you can do if you have aftermarket wheels on your Maverick but no tpms sensors.

I have no sensors in my aftermarket wheels so normally you would get a tpms fault. Since my original wheels and tires with sensors are stored in the garage with the truck the sensors are recognized when I leave for work in the morning and then again when I get home at night. The light does not come on at all anymore. I only drive about 12 miles each way to work so I am not sure if this factors into this equation as well. I wonder if I drove a longer distance the computer might figure out I have no sensors but for now with my short daily drives it stays off every day.

I parked my truck in a different part of my property for a few days last week. This was a spot that was not close to my garage so the truck could not recognize the sensors and the tpms light started coming on everyday. Once I started parking in the garage again the light went out and the fault was gone again. The pressure shown on the dash and ford pass app is actually the pressure in the wheels sitting in my garage. I am not worried about what my tires on the truck actually have since I keep a good eye on them.

Now I want to try this trick with my other vehicles once I put the snows on them this coming winter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mavericksport

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Little trick you can do if you have aftermarket wheels on your Maverick but no tpms sensors.

I have no sensors in my aftermarket wheels so normally you would get a tpms fault. Since my original wheels and tires with sensors are stored in the garage with the truck the sensors are recognized when I leave for work in the morning and then again when I get home at night. The light does not come on at all anymore. I only drive about 12 miles each way to work so I am not sure if this factors into this equation as well. I wonder if I drove a longer distance the computer might figure out I have no sensors but for now with my short daily drives it stays off every day.

I parked my truck in a different part of my property for a few days last week. This was a spot that was not close to my garage so the truck could not recognize the sensors and the tpms light started coming on everyday. Once I started parking in the garage again the light went out and the fault was gone again. The pressure shown on the dash and ford pass app is actually the pressure in the wheels sitting in my garage. I am not worried about what my tires on the truck actually have since I keep a good eye on them.

Now I want to try this trick with my other vehicles once I put the snows on them this coming winter.
I did your trick, it worked. But I went out of town and it gave me the code on the dash. So I'm putting my factory wheels back on in a month, so I'm going to have sensors put in spring time. This works if you don't leave town much.

Angwypigeon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wouldn't this work even better if you replace the spare with one of the original tires so the TPMS is always close?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wouldn't this work even better if you replace the spare with one of the original tires so the TPMS is always close?
But doesn't it need to hear from all four? Not ideal but you could carry all your tires in the bed. Heck, the weight would give you better snow traction.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would have to drive in a circle to turn on the tpms. How fast and how many circles I have no idea. What about the other 3? How about buying 4 and mounting them in a pressurized hamster wheel that you could spin right after you did your selection with the console knob?

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting the thread.
I plan on swapping my original wheels and tires (5600 miles, with TPMS) for the cast off set (steelies and tires Non/TPMS) that I bought back in May, for running this winter.
Since my Mav has the "Bare Spare" and I have not yet 'Broken" the seal.
I have carried one of the cast offs as the spare. I will do the reverse and see what happens to the TPMS warning..

Jerry
Sponsored