2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TLDR: I love this setup.

Ford Maverick Tremor with 245/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 = Highly Recommended tempImageRly7oD

Ford Maverick Tremor with 245/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 = Highly Recommended tempImagemiV3zb

Ford Maverick Tremor with 245/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 = Highly Recommended tempImagepDuwBX

Ford Maverick Tremor with 245/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 = Highly Recommended tempImageFgds

I am more concerned with practicality than looks, so I was kind of reluctant to swap out the perfectly adequate stock 235/65s for something bigger. But I really wanted a little extra lift, and wider profile as I am clumsy and tend to bash rims. And yeah, it looks great!
  • I didn't know what to expect, but 3/4" of extra height over the Tremor's lift is noticeable. The stance is more commanding and purposeful, filling the extra height in the wheel wells, and the seating position feels more like a small truck than a tall sedan. Right after installation, it felt a bit more "climb up" than "climb in". The Maverick is actually quite long for its height, so I prefer this proportion, which to me looks a little more muscular.
  • Ride quality is great! Going from a 104 load index in the Wildpeak 235/65 to the big Toyo's 110 means I am running 27-28 psi instead of 35 psi. This lower pressure works amazing with the Tremor's off-road spring and shock - the combination is plush and controlled over any size bump. The extra air volume insulates the Maverick a bit more from road harshness. It feels fantastic, and makes one of the Tremor's best qualities even better.
  • No change in performance other than not being able to adjust the speedo for a tire this big in Forscan. The Open Country 245/70 is a minuscule 3.9 lbs heavier per corner than stock (35 vs. 31.1) despite being a +2 size, and the Tremor's 3.81 ratio gives it more grunt than most Mavericks to turn the larger tire at a given speed.
  • No rubbing at full lock. It is very close and I am a bit concerned what might happen if the tire gets loaded up with sticky, muddy wet snow - but under regular conditions there is no contact at all.
Overall, I am thrilled with this setup. I love the look, driving position, ride quality, and additional ground clearance, and am especially pleased that there are no compromises in performance or dynamics - in fact, I actually prefer this size for its lower pressure and bump compliance.

Highly recommended if you own a Tremor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Welcome to the Toyo gang. Great choice. 😁

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

TLDR: I love this setup.

tempImageRly7oD.jpg

tempImagemiV3zb.jpg

tempImagepDuwBX.jpg

tempImageFgdsjp.jpg

I am more concerned with practicality than looks, so I was kind of reluctant to swap out the perfectly adequate stock 235/65s for something bigger. But I really wanted a little extra lift, and wider profile as I am clumsy and tend to bash rims. But yeah, it looks great!
  • I didn't know what to expect, but 3/4" of extra height over the Tremor's lift is noticeable. The stance is more commanding and purposeful, filling the extra height in the wheel wells, and the seating position feels more like a small truck than a tall sedan. Right after installation, it felt a bit more "climb up" than "climb in". The Maverick is actually quite long for its height, so I prefer this proportion, which to me looks a little more muscular.
  • Ride quality is great! Going from a 104 load index in the Wildpeak 235/65 to the Toyo's 110 means I am running 27-28 psi instead of 35 psi. This lower pressure works amazing with the Tremor's off-road spring and shock - the combination is plush and controlled over any size bump. The extra air volume insulates the Maverick a bit more from road harshness. It feels amazing, and makes one of the Tremor's best qualities even better.
  • No change in performance other than not being able to adjust the speedo for a tire this big in Forscan. The Open Country is a minuscule 3.9 lbs heavier per corner than stock (35 vs. 31.1) despite being a +2 size, and the Tremor's 3.81 ratio gives it more grunt than most Mavericks to turn the larger tire at a given speed.
  • No rubbing at full lock. It is very, very close and I am a bit concerned what might happen when the tire gets loaded up with sticky, muddy wet snow - but under regular conditions there is no contact at all.
Overall, I am thrilled with this setup. I love the look, driving position, ride quality, and additional ground clearance, and am especially pleased that there are no compromises in performance or dynamics - in fact, I actually prefer this size for its lower pressure and bump compliance.

Highly recommended if you own a Tremor.
What's your mpg.

And do you have to seat all the way down. My wife has it all the way up and I feel like I am I'm the clouds ⛅ drive an electric Peterbilt when driving the Hybrid, and a tank in my Tremor.

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

What's your mpg.

And do you have to seat all the way down. My wife has it all the way up and I feel like I am I'm the clouds ⛅ drive an electric Peterbilt.
Looks good though.

Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

OP
OP
snowkarver

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's your mpg.

And do you have to seat all the way down. My wife has it all the way up and I feel like I am I'm the clouds ⛅ drive an electric Peterbilt when driving the Hybrid, and a tank in my Tremor.
I honestly don't even bother looking at the mpg much - it's a Tremor, so I accept that for a Maverick it's just bad. That said, I haven't noticed a difference over the Wildpeaks - I think in terms of mileage it will be a wash. They're both A/Ts with a similar design and rolling contact patch - the Toyo is a bit heavier, but rolls a bit further at a given RPM.

I also prefer the higher position for visibility - my seat is in the middle. It always felt a bit strange that I was driving a purported truck, looking across at some sedans and up at 4runners and TJs. It feels "more right" to me now. 😎

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Love it! Glad to hear there is no rub. I am planning on getting that size in a Duratrac or Maxxis Bighorn. Probably will wait until the 235s are done though.

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

I honestly don't even bother looking at the mpg much - it's a Tremor, so I accept that for a Maverick it's just bad. That said, I haven't noticed a difference over the Wildpeaks - I think in terms of mileage it will be a wash. They're both A/Ts with a similar design and rolling contact patch - the Toyo is a bit heavier, but rolls a bit further at a given RPM.

I also prefer the higher position for visibility - my seat is in the middle. It always felt a bit strange that I was driving a purported truck, looking across at some sedans and up at 4runners and TJs. It feels "more right" to me now. 😎
Cool,

I was interested in upsizing my tires because I would like the height advantage. Have you noticed any rubbing on articulation or twisting off road.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did you sell your stock tires? If you didn't, I bet you could find a buyer. I really like the Wildpeak AT3W.

Regarding tire pressure, I'll be curious to see your wear over time. 26 sounds pretty low despite the load rating difference. Somewhere around 25 you'll probably get low pressure warnings from TPMS and I'm not sure if you can lower the threshold with Forscan.

2LeeT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great. I have the same tires and I'm very happy with mine 😀

RichH

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Ford Maverick Lariat/Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You last point should be very concerning. Put a suspension lift on that if you're worried about mud and snow. Otherwise, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You last point should be very concerning. Put a suspension lift on that if you're worried about mud and snow. Otherwise, I'm glad you're happy with it.
the OP didn't state where it is close at full lock. but if it's close to the suspension, a 5 or 10mm spacer would resolve it.

if it's close to the fender liner when the truck isn't moving that would be disasterous when/if you bottom out, so I am confident guessing he meant suspension clearance.

RichH

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Ford Maverick Lariat/Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the OP didn't state where it is close at full lock. but if it's close to the suspension, a 5 or 10mm spacer would resolve it.

if it's close to the fender liner when the truck isn't moving that would be disasterous when/if you bottom out, so I am confident guessing he meant suspension clearance.
Just a little too close for me. However you want to look at it. But to each their own.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just a little too close for me. However you want to look at it. But to each their own.
again, we don't know where it's close until the OP explains.

if it's close to the strut, a lift may not help.

OP
OP
snowkarver

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was interested in upsizing my tires because I would like the height advantage. Have you noticed any rubbing on articulation or twisting off road.
The height and clearance difference is noticeable. I haven't had a chance to really challenge this combination off-road yet, but in other driving situations such as full-lock reverse over a speed bump, loading the wheel in a curve at speed while negotiating potholes, etc, I have not noticed any rubbing nor do I see evidence of this in the wheel well.

OP
OP
snowkarver

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you sell your stock tires? If you didn't, I bet you could find a buyer. I really like the Wildpeak AT3W.

Regarding tire pressure, I'll be curious to see your wear over time. 26 sounds pretty low despite the load rating difference. Somewhere around 25 you'll probably get low pressure warnings from TPMS and I'm not sure if you can lower the threshold with Forscan.
I have them posted here and on other marketplaces, but no takers yet. Buying used tires doesn't seem to be as popular up here, but I'm trying. If I don't get a bite, there are a few buy-sell stores that will take them, but it won't be for as much. ☹

Toyo service confirmed that the correct pressure for this tire on the Maverick is 27 psi. I am running 28 psi cold to avoid any possible TPMS issues, and the tire contact area looks good. Speaking with the Toyo guys, running the little Maverick, especially unloaded, on a 110 load tire at 35 psi would result in premature wear of the crown due to overinflation. 27-29 psi @ ~2000 lbs load index per tire is the factory spec from Toyo, so I'm confident it will wear correctly.
Sponsored