First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick looks perfect for a teardrop trailer or a rooftop tent on a bedrail that the hybrid will be able to tow. Teardrops will fit the weight, they will be lower than the Maverick for better gas mileage and you can get a street version of a teardrop or an offroad/offgrid version.

The XLT Maverick 2.0 with 4k towing/FX4 package will be visiting my driveway late 2022 for our teardrop and off the grid adventures! With today's new of a potential Rattler I may need to wait. 2.3T Maverick with off road package would be awesome.

Here is an example of an offroad teardrop: https://www.oregontrailer.net/ There are many nice vendors in the teardrop marketplace making great trailers that will last a lifetime.

Here is a great starter for a rooftop tent/bedrail set up: https://rooftopoverland.com/product...ck-bed-rack-adjustable-powder-coated-black-40

See you on the trails!!!
Wow! Those are some really great ideas! I really like those teardrops! Almost makes me want to start camping again! However, I'll stick to my Harley and continue to camp at Holiday Inn! :)
One thing that has been so great about this forum is all that I've learned a lot about a wide variety of things truck related!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
“I've pitched a 2-person ground tent in the bed of a pickup.”

is that what the kids call it today? In my day that was just Friday night with your GF /rimshot

XBeatzX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Toyota Tundra & '03 Honda Element
Engine
Undecided
We towed around a 13’ Scamp all over the Midwest with our Honda Element (1500lb capacity). No trailer brakes, never had a problem. Camper probably weighs 1100-1300 pounds. (manual says 950 lbs, but I know it’s more than that). It would match up well with the hybrid, and be within all the specs except for the “frontal area” limit. Sleeps four, and can stand up straight if under 6’1”. Neat little camper, but a 3 to 4 year waiting list on a new one unfortunately.
Ford Maverick Travel trailers for the hybrid 8534FC8D-293C-427B-BC8F-479345117D45

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We towed around a 13’ Scamp all over the Midwest with our Honda Element (1500lb capacity). No trailer brakes, never had a problem. Camper probably weighs 1100-1300 pounds. (manual says 950 lbs, but I know it’s more than that). It would match up well with the hybrid, and be within all the specs except for the “frontal area” limit. Sleeps four, and can stand up straight if under 6’1”. Neat little camper, but a 3 to 4 year waiting list on a new one unfortunately.
8534FC8D-293C-427B-BC8F-479345117D45.jpeg
WOW a 3-4 year wait to get a new one?! o_O
And people are having a hard time waiting a few months for a Maverick!! :unsure: 😂

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
8534FC8D-293C-427B-BC8F-479345117D45.jpeg
Definitely more frontal area than Ford specs.

Sponsored

koolkats3

First Name
LuAnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 vw passat
That Jayco weights 1585, the hybrid Maverick weights 3674, the Maverick's GCWR is 6010.
6010 - (1585+3674) = 751. As long as you, your family, friends, gear and fuel don't weigh more than 751 you're good to go.
I'd question the 20 SF frontal area limitations, since the frontal area of the Maverick itself is about 30 SF.

1625183733015.png
So if you exceed that frontal area, your mpg will drop. Anything else?
We are looking at a Scamp trailer like the one that was posted.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So if you exceed that frontal area, your mpg will drop. Anything else?
We are looking at a Scamp trailer like the one that was posted.
There has to be a reason Ford is giving a frontal area spec. My take is that pushing that much air is a strain on the power train. If it was just lower mileage, Ford would just state your mileage will be less towing a tall trailer. I’m getting a hybrid but my advice is if you want to tow a travel trailer, get the Ecoboost and 4K tow package.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There has to be a reason Ford is giving a frontal area spec. My take is that pushing that much air is a strain on the power train. If it was just lower mileage, Ford would just state your mileage will be less towing a tall trailer. I’m getting a hybrid but my advice is if you want to tow a travel trailer, get the Ecoboost and 4K tow package.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've spent the last 45 years dragging various trailers around, behind all kinds of tow vehicles, and nothing is worse than having an under-powered combination. If you want to use the Hybrid to tow a utility trailer to Lowes, great. If you want to drag a travel trailer cross-country, get the 2.0/4K

HRG

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid is limited to 20 square feet of frontal area. That pretty much limits you to a pop-up.
How does one get trailer frontal area specs ? I usually just see the weights and such- Thx

MikeLawry

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The problem I see is even if you option for 4k package the increase of frontal area to 40sq ft is still not enough to pull even most teardrop trailers. The tiny numcamp tab is around 49 sq ft

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What about lightweight popups?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
There has to be a reason Ford is giving a frontal area spec. ...
There is. Frontal area is one of the primary contributors to aerodynamic drag, through Pascals Law:
Force = area x pressure, specifically.
Drag Force = area x Cd x (air density x velocity squared)/2

If I were Ford and had no idea what Cd your trailer might be, I'd assume the worst - a flat plate - and go from there. The Cd of a flat plate is 1.28. A sphere is 0.48.

It should be obvious that the sphere has to be 2.667x larger to have the same drag force. If your trailer is more sphere than plate, you can likely pull a larger trailer without issue.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The problem I see is even if you option for 4k package the increase of frontal area to 40sq ft is still not enough to pull even most teardrop trailers. The tiny numcamp tab is around 49 sq ft
Majority of teardrops are 4’ wide x 4’ high, that’s 16 sq. ft. and under Ford spec.
Sponsored