Sponsored

Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on? Any pictures?

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far I have not see any pics of the transmission oil cooler from the 4k Tow Package. I'm curious as to whether it could be an add-on. I would think the transmission would have the same hookups and it could be added.

That was the only part of the 4k Tow I was sorry I was missing as I pretty much got everything else I wanted with the FX4. Wasn't worth $800 for an oil cooler. Just wanted to see how it was mounted with the Tow Package for reference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m hoping itā€™s an external one, not just one that runs through the radiator. No real reason why I want one over the other.
Pics any one?
Bueller?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m hoping itā€™s an external one, not just one that runs through the radiator. No real reason why I want one over the other.
Pics any one?
Bueller?
I bet its through the radiator. Even the super duties do that.

OP
OP
ReddWulf

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pics any one?
Bueller?
Same here. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the Escape Towing Package one, but wanted to confirm. Here's some pictures I found of it. If so, it does not look terribly hard to add one (for longevity vice towing).

Ford Maverick Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on?  Any pictures? 1634687989801

Looks like you literally tap off of one hose connection (far right arrow) to split into the out/in for the cooler then run the lines and mount the radiator. I'm sure there's more involved but certainly looks feasible if it is the same design.
Ford Maverick Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on?  Any pictures? 1634688305405

Paulbh

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD XL,
There are two different coolers available for towing pack one. The more expensive one is bigger. Not sure what the qualifier was to determine which one ford used. Hoses and mounts will probably be different as well. I have been researching this as well. Maverickxl2022 gave me some good tips. I got a vin for an xl with the 4K package to start my research. Now I just need to go on motorcraft.com pay my 27 bucks and lock the rest of it down. When I do I will report back with part numbers.
Paul

Ford Maverick Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on?  Any pictures? 5876CCE8-ED13-46C6-9300-A77E94F763B1

Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far I have not see any pics of the transmission oil cooler from the 4k Tow Package. I'm curious as to whether it could be an add-on. I would think the transmission would have the same hookups and it could be added.

That was the only part of the 4k Tow I was sorry I was missing as I pretty much got everything else I wanted with the FX4. Wasn't worth $800 for an oil cooler. Just wanted to see how it was mounted with the Tow Package for reference.
Thats so funny. I had the oposite ordering decision. The alloys are the only thing on the fx4 i didnt have and wanted from my 4k package šŸ˜‚ why dont they discount them as a package when put together??

Paulbh

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD XL,
There are two different coolers available for towing pack one. The more expensive one is bigger. Not sure what the qualifier was to determine which one ford used. Hoses and mounts will probably be different as well. I have been researching this as well. Maverickxl2022 gave me some good tips. I got a vin for an xl with the 4K package to start my research. Now I just need to go on motorcraft.com pay my 27 bucks and lock the rest of it down. When I do I will report back with part numbers.
Paul

5876CCE8-ED13-46C6-9300-A77E94F763B1.png
Partial part number match and what I think the larger one looks like, will verify and report back.

Ford Maverick Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on?  Any pictures? D7221B4F-A1ED-472E-A31F-72E6B727E1DC

Ford Maverick Transmission Oil Cooler - Possible add on?  Any pictures? 1FAD0784-F0B2-4CDB-8A44-083876A8D9A8

sabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Partial part number match and what I think the larger one looks like, will verify and report back.

D7221B4F-A1ED-472E-A31F-72E6B727E1DC.jpeg
That cooler is for a heavy truck. It should be a plate-and-fin style small radiator (about the size of the intercooler) but with small hose connectors for the trans fluid lines. It ought to be very similar to the Ford Escape setup shown here:

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.co...-2-0l-l4-gas/cooling-system--trans-oil-cooler

The shop manual for the Maverick has you remove the condenser to install the factory aux cooler, so I assume the default location is sandwiched between the radiator and condenser. There is a lot of room in there since the intercooler is at the bottom, right behind the ACC radar.

I can comment on the details of the stock setup. The stock cooler sits on the bottom of the transmission, somewhat near the driver's side wheel well (this is part 7869). It looks like the one from the Ford Edge (google part J1GP7869AA for pictures), it is a standard, small oil-to-water cooler. The auxiliary version of this part for the Escape is similar, but with a bypass valve to redirect flow to the radiator (google part JX6Z7869B for pictures, note the valve).

The aux install could either use stock Ford parts and the stock bypass valve/thermostat, or it is also possible to tap the rubber part of the return line from the stock cooler, add a thermostat bypass, and hook up any aftermarket cooler. Don't skip on the bypass valve -- its important to not send oil for cooling if its already cold. The most annoying part by far will be removing the condenser which requires going to a shop to drain/fill the AC lines since this uses the new refrigerant. Might be able to bolt onto the front of the condenser, but its already looking packed there.

I don't think there are any PCM modifications necessary if you do it like this. The Ford bypass valve doesn't look like it is electric, it looks like either a standard dumb thermostat or something similar.

I wish I had a 4k package to examine in person. Checking the parts is fairly easy by removing the air box. I also removed the battery for better access for my camera while poking around. There are lots of spots to stick a phone camera or endoscope to check whats between the radiator and condenser as well.

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have this regret. I opted to skip the 4k because of lower gears, and thought it would be easy to add an oil cooler. This is my first auto trans and it makes me overly cautious. Really wanted to add (afterward) the extra cooling for desert life! Truly a mistake by me thinking it can be simply added.
I noticed the smell of fire hot automatic transmission fluid when I walk through a parking lot in Tucson AZ. UGH! Maybe I should keep automatic trans cars for ONLY 3 years at a time.....
Sponsored