Sponsored

Trade-in to dealer or sell to a car-buying company?

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
In preparation for purchasing my truck, I’m trying to decide how to sell my current car. I could, of course, trade it at the dealer. However, they already gave me a low-ball offer. Since they don’t care if I walk, they have no incentive to give me any more on the trade.

I’m thinking about selling to Carvana, CarMax, or CarGuru once my truck arrives. I’ve never bought or sold from any of them. I was wondering if you all have had any experience with selling to these companies. The quotes I’ve received were around $3k-$4k more than what the Ford said they’d give me. What are your thoughts? Any advantages/disadvantages to selling this way? Any recommendations?
Sponsored

MustangMech

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In preparation for purchasing my truck, I’m trying to decide how to sell my current car. I could, of course, trade it at the dealer. However, they already gave me a low-ball offer. Since they don’t care if I walk, they have no incentive to give me any more on the trade.

I’m thinking about selling to Carvana, CarMax, or CarGuru once my truck arrives. I’ve never bought or sold from any of them. I was wondering if you all have had any experience with selling to these companies. The quotes I’ve received were around $3k-$4k more than what the Ford said they’d give me. What are your thoughts? Any advantages/disadvantages to selling this way? Any recommendations?
When you sell to CARMAX you leave with a check. One thing to keep in mind with all of them is their first quote is their best, the offer goes down on following quotes.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Carvana is picking up my BMW Wednesday. Everything was quite smooth and easy so far. They offered WAY more than I ever expected. I'll let you know how Wednesday goes.

I'm surprised that these Ford dealers aren't being more aggressive on chasing trades. My dealer didn't seem particularly interested either. They do have an incentive, to make USED CAR PROFIT.

Horizon62

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You pretty much stayed it. They would give you 3 to 4 thousand more. But if you know a friend that has a business or a reputable used car dealer near by, you could sell it on your own and pay them a fee, say $500 to sit on their lot if it sold. If the car is clean, and do your research and compare it to other cars like yours, you should move it quickly. Advertise it also on Auto trader.

Horizon62

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Carvana is picking up my BMW Wednesday. Everything was quite smooth and easy so far. They offered WAY more than I ever expected. I'll let you know how Wednesday goes.

I'm surprised that these Ford dealers aren't being more aggressive on chasing trades. My dealer didn't seem particularly interested either. They do have an incentive, to make USED CAR PROFIT.
They do if they know they have a buyer waiting.

Sponsored

MavDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MAZDA 3 Sedan
Not sure if you live in a place where you pay sales tax on new car minus trade in like Texas. So just make sure you are getting enough when you sell to make up for the sales tax you'd otherwise save with trade in.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Carmax offered me $1800 more than Carvana for a 2011 Soul. I didn’t even try the dealer.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealership only wants models they can sell quicky for a profit Otherwise, they revert to lowball offers. If it's too old, has too much damage, or too many miles or not in demand they lowball and let it go. They want quick sales now to keep the money rolling, and those with too much/too many often sit on lots and don't make money.

I always tell people to get 3 appraisals and try to do them on the same day:
Carmax, a dealership in the area, and an online seller (Carvana,Vroom, etc.), and go with the highest offer.

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE

Awesome! Definitely let me know how that goes, if you don’t mind!

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Carmax offered me $1800 more than Carvana for a 2011 Soul. I didn’t even try the dealer.
Man, Carnax offered $1400 more than Carvana. Almost sounded too good to be true. Good to know! Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
When you sell to CARMAX you leave with a check. One thing to keep in mind with all of them is their first quote is their best, the offer goes down on following quotes.
Good to know! Thanks!

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
My dealership only wants models they can sell quicky for a profit Otherwise, they revert to lowball offers. If it's too old, has too much damage, or too many miles or not in demand they lowball and let it go. They want quick sales now to keep the money rolling, and those with too much/too many often sit on lots and don't make money.

I always tell people to get 3 appraisals and try to do them on the same day:
Carmax, a dealership in the area, and an online seller (Carvana,Vroom, etc.), and go with the highest offer.
Thanks for the advice!

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That's a no Brainer who ever will give you the most Money💰

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Not sure if you live in a place where you pay sales tax on new car minus trade in like Texas. So just make sure you are getting enough when you sell to make up for the sales tax you'd otherwise save with trade in.
Yeah, good point! I’ll have to check on how that works in TN. I just don’t remember for sure how that worked on previous cars I bought. It’s been a quite a few years.
Sponsored