thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone ever traded in their current vehicle while waiting for their new vehicle to be delivered?

The vehicle that I’m trading for my Maverick is not my daily driver and wouldn’t be missed. My thought was that this would eliminate some of the depreciation on the value of my trade in if I didn’t wait until my Maverick order arrived. I don’t want to sell it because the savings on the sales tax on a trade in would be more beneficial financially than a straight out sell. I don’t know if the dealership would go along with this or even if it’s problematic from a legal perspective. Of course, I realize I would be locked in to the dealership if I did this.

What do you think?

In my state, there is a 7% sales tax on vehicle sales.

Trade in value is subtracted from the price of the vehicle before being taxed.

Vehicle $30,000
Tax $2,100
Total $32,100

Vehicle $30,000
Current Trade in Allowance $25,000
Difference $5,000
Tax $350.00
Total $5,350

$2,100 - $350 = $1,750

I would have to sell my car for $1,750 more than the Trade in allowance to come out the same. It would be difficult to sell my vehicle for $26,750 based upon the research I’ve done… not to mention the convenience of just trading it in.
So my question is, Has anyone ever traded in a vehicle before their new vehicle purchase arrived?
Sponsored

Last edited:

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my 2016 Chevy Colorado. I was able to get almost 7 grand more then I paid for it two years ago. The market is prime for selling used vehicles. I was able to get over half my money back on an extended warranty as well. I won’t be buying one for the Maverick. I say go for it. Why would you be locked to a dealership? They sent me a check. I can go where I want.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone ever traded in their current vehicle while waiting for their new vehicle to be delivered?

The vehicle that I’m trading for my Maverick is not my daily driver and wouldn’t be missed. My thought was that this would eliminate some of the depreciation on the value of my trade in if I didn’t wait until my Maverick order arrived. I don’t want to sell it because the savings on the sales tax on a trade in would be more beneficial financially than a straight out sell. Of course I don’t know if the dealership would go along with this or even if it’s problematic from a legal perspective. Of course, I realize I would be locked in to the dealership if I did this.

What do you think?
The better price you can get now would more than offset the tax savings. Plus other dealers are making buy bids, then there's always Carvana and others. I say get the best deal you can now as it will be much less by the time your Maverick gets here.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm contemplating selling an equally fuel efficient 2016 Honda Civic Touring. The only reason I wanna sell it is to take advantage of the anomally that's happening on the used car market. Otherwise, it has been a great daily driver with enough creature comfort that rivals higher end vehicles. Best thing about it is the walk away lock which I believe is exclusive to Honda.

The amount I'm quoted would net me the amount that will almost fully pay the Maverick.

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's what I did. You gotta strike while the;) irons hot!

Sponsored

OP
OP
thosw

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried to trade my vehicle in now, the dealer didn't want it due to possible price fluctuations at delivery.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Getting ready to sell my 20 Ranger this week since I am getting more than I paid for it 8 months ago.
Prolly never see that again in my lifetime.

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you trade it in early or just sell it?
I traded in to the dealer that I have my order with. They gave me $1500 less than I had paid new more than 3 1/2 years ago. I did the KBB sell to dealer thing. I Have gotten dozens of offers from dealers all over the state. They are very aggressively buying!

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I traded in to the dealer that I have my order with. They gave me $1500 less than I had paid new more than 3 1/2 years ago. I did the KBB sell to dealer thing. I Have gotten dozens of offers from dealers all over the state. They are very aggressively buying!
I wish I had that luck. CL for me :(

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Getting ready to sell my 20 Ranger this week since I am getting more than I paid for it 8 months ago.
Prolly never see that again in my lifetime.
My Carmax/Autonation/Carvana offers are still above what I paid for my Ranger in Dec 2019! We own it outright, actually thinking I should just try to sell myself, plenty of time.

I'm primarily hesitating because I think if anything the market is going to have another uptick in prices. New cars aren't coming yet, and everyone that saw the peak has gotten rid of their cars - who is left to sell their used vehicle? I read about a manheim auction hitting record prices last week...

Bob T

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
sold my 2016 GMC Canyon to a dealer. the money is high now but the used market is adjusting back. Got more than I bought it for brand new! basically swapping for 6 model years newer hybrid. Gambling that the difference in trade price now verses October will be greater than the tax savings I'm missing by not using it as a trade. I miss my truck, but waiting to see what I can do with the Maverick:)

Ford Maverick Trade before Delivery? tempImageVqJOiw

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I plan on selling my Mazda CX-30, it really is crazy, both Carmax and Carvana are offering me more than I paid for the car last year.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Should be noted that if you’re planning to lease you’re not eligible for the tax savings. At least here in NY.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sold my 20 Ranger this week for $3300 more than I paid for it. Decided to just let it go vice trying to sell myself for more money but don't have to worry about tire kickers coming to my house, guys with questionable financing, low ball offers, the usual stuff you have to deal with to get the xtra money. That $3300 will make a nice payment on the maverick. Plus I can cx my insurance and save a few bucks, no more truck payments so can put that money in my new truck fund. Win-Win
Sponsored