Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Ecoboost, FX4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So there you go.

Tongue weight was about 440 lbs.

Recommended is 10% to 15% of the trailer.

In 30 years of pulling trailers I have always found 15% to be better. Being on the heavy side reduces trailer sway. It reduces the weight you can put in the truck, but should not be an issue with the Maverick here.

I think your setup is reasonable.
And, typically, I will have my tanks empty when going more than a dozen miles or so. I had my water tank fill for the purpose of this weigh-in, so that'll mean about 200lbs less weight. Since the water tank is between the axle and the tongue, that should also reduce the tongue weight.
Sponsored

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So for comparison I put my set up on a CAT scale a while back, one 150lbish passenger in the truck, interesting to see how the weights compare to what you saw especially the weight of the truck.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230607_132248

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So for comparison I put my set up on a CAT scale a while back, one 150lbish passenger in the truck, interesting to see how the weights compare to what you saw especially the weight of the truck.

20230607_132248.jpg
It looks like you had both of your Maverick axles on the first scale pad, your trailer axle on the second pad, and nothing on the third pad?

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It looks like you had both of your Maverick axles on the first scale pad, your trailer axle on the second pad, and nothing on the third pad?
you'd be correct! I was keen to get an idea of the separate weights and the tongue weight

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright, an update and it's certainly mixed.

I took the Maverick + camper on a camping trip about 3 hours away in Northern MN. Bad news first. About two hours into the drive, I received a warning to take a rest with a symbol that resembled steam/heat. My engine temp was reading right in the middle, so I'm assuming this means that the transmission was getting hot. The outside air temp was about 80-85F. I needed to stop to refuel and use the restroom anyway, so that gave things about a 10-15 minute break and then I resumed my travel but going 60 instead of the 65mph I was previously going.

On my return trip I pretty much kept it to 60mph the whole way but received an orange warning about an hour and a half in and a red warning about 15 minutes later. I stopped at the very next gas station to top off and get some snacks. So a rest time of about 10-15 minutes. The last hour of my trip had no warnings or issues at all.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230611_173232

Now for the good news - the Maverick averaged 13.9 mpg while towing this setup over almost 340 miles. I think that's pretty good, all things considered.

I don't think that the Maverick will be as good a fit for my partial digital nomad lifestyle as I had hoped. Not if I want to be on the road as much as I do. I need to decide what's next, as I don't want to downsize the camper. Perhaps a used Ranger or Colorado. I'm open to suggestions!

Sponsored

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll take that Mav off your hands. But, probably gonna do a trans service quickly.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright, an update and it's certainly mixed.

I took the Maverick + camper on a camping trip about 3 hours away in Northern MN. Bad news first. About two hours into the drive, I received a warning to take a rest with a symbol that resembled steam/heat. My engine temp was reading right in the middle, so I'm assuming this means that the transmission was getting hot. The outside air temp was about 80-85F. I needed to stop to refuel and use the restroom anyway, so that gave things about a 10-15 minute break and then I resumed my travel but going 60 instead of the 65mph I was previously going.

On my return trip I pretty much kept it to 60mph the whole way but received an orange warning about an hour and a half in and a red warning about 15 minutes later. I stopped at the very next gas station to top off and get some snacks. So a rest time of about 10-15 minutes. The last hour of my trip had no warnings or issues at all.

20230611_173232.jpg

Now for the good news - the Maverick averaged 13.9 mpg while towing this setup over almost 340 miles. I think that's pretty good, all things considered.

I don't think that the Maverick will be as good a fit for my partial digital nomad lifestyle as I had hoped. Not if I want to be on the road as much as I do. I need to decide what's next, as I don't want to downsize the camper. Perhaps a used Ranger or Colorado. I'm open to suggestions!
That warning icon is a cup of coffee - It thought u were tired. I got the same message some time ago and I'm like heck I don't even drink coffee - lol - That feature can be turned off - FYI

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That warning icon is a cup of coffee - It thought u were tired. I got the same message some time ago and I'm like heck I don't even drink coffee - lol - That feature can be turned off - FYI
Oh. My. God. Hahaha, you're absolutely right - that is the Driver Alert system.

I feel tons better now, honestly, I just had towing concerns on the brain!

hvfaith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick eco boost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got back from my first towing of my new Sunray 149 camper. Loaded the weight was 2800/2900 lbs. Went from Denver to Steamboat Springs 385 miles. Went over/through Eisenhower tunnel, Gore pass, and Rabbit Ears pass. No wind from any direction. Avg 15.2 mpg. Avg speed was 60/65 mph. Over the passes, at 60 mph the rpms was at 4000. Over all I am very pleased with how the eco boost did. Fishing was bad but the brewsk's went down well.
Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! IMG_1259

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got back from my first towing of my new Sunray 149 camper. Loaded the weight was 2800/2900 lbs. Went from Denver to Steamboat Springs 385 miles. Went over/through Eisenhower tunnel, Gore pass, and Rabbit Ears pass. No wind from any direction. Avg 15.2 mpg. Avg speed was 60/65 mph. Over the passes, at 60 mph the rpms was at 4000. Over all I am very pleased with how the eco boost did. Fishing was bad but the brewsk's went down well.
IMG_1259.jpg
Did you force it into low at all going through the mountain passes?

This is very encouraging.

Sponsored

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I pulled a travel trailer from Southern North Carolina to Houston. Weighed everything before I parked it at it's temporary resting place. The total weight was 3650 (I think, need to pull my CAT scale tickets) 1100 miles or so. At 65 the entire way. I have a thread in my signature, it's not too long feel free to check it out.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No did not force at all. No jerking, high revving. I was/am very satisfied with how the truck did.
I towed up a 4%(+/-) grade at or just over 4k. The Mav found the best gear held it and let the turbo do most of the work instead of the trans. These trucks are towing beasts, for their size

TheQuixotic1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max SEL. 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMG_1259.jpg
Interesting and helpful information that you got over 15mpg with your rig. Makes me wonder how significant of an impact aerodynamics are since the Maverick is significantly shorter than other trucks. I have seen posts on here of people in smaller A-Liners at 1500lbs getting 25mpg. I wonder what the fuel efficiency curves are for weight as well as wind resistance. The A-Liner I like would be closer to your total weight, I wonder if it would be able to crack 20mpg due to significantly less drag.

Thanks for sharing!

LJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Venza & Yaris
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Late to the party, but I thought that, because of the "uni-body" contruction, that "no wt. distro" hitch was mandated?
Sponsored