Fast

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the dinette convert to a bed? I don't see anything on it.. Looks kind of like a missed opportunity, Could always put one of those systems that would lower it or raise it and keep it there, then plan your bed yourself.

Hell something like this
home depot

Thinking this but a ton more study to lay a bed on.

this

Or something that folds up or down altogether like this.

Sorry for so many links.
Sponsored

Last edited:

billygoat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
20230601_173230~2.jpg

20230601_161605~2.jpg

The camera angle makes a big difference in how big this camper appears relative to the Maverick, haha.

I just picked up my new camper, the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS, and brought it home. The camper has a dry weight of 3,204 lbs and a hitch weight of 470 lbs. Yes, I know, I know, Ford advises a limit of 400 lbs for the tongue weight. I'm using a weight-distributing hitch and, with the hitch installed and properly configured, I have a rear squat of only about 3/4". I'm pretty satisfied with that.

20230601_150936.jpg

Squat measurement before hooking up.

20230601_153556.jpg

Squat measurement after hooking up.

When I load my gear in the camper, I'll be concentrating most of the weight toward the back of the camper, when possible, to reduce the amount of weight brought forward onto the hitch.

My plan is to work remotely from this rig with a combination of campsite stays and dry camping/boondocking. I'm solo, so only the weight of one person and gear will be added to the truck and camper. I'm working on equipping the camper and loading it with my gear. Once I do, I'll be taking the entire rig to a scale to ensure that I am under the GCVWR. Whenever possible I plan to be running empty tanks to keep the weight down.

20230601_195651.jpg

Monitors will be stowed and secured during travel from one site to another.

The big question - how did it handle? I certainly could tell that I had a trailer attached, but I never felt out of control on my drive back home. I was driving on relatively flat land at 65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind and averaged 13.2 mpg from the dealership to my residential street.

20230601_175134.jpg

I was able to accelerate satisfactorily and it got up to 70 mph with no issue and handling identically to 65 mph. I will likely keep my speed to 65 mph when I have all but a tailwind for the sake of fuel economy and safe handling.

I plan to keep this post updated as I continue this journey. I'll be making some local-ish trips (max of 4 hours away) in the next month or so to iron out all of the little things and to fill the gaps in the gear I have onboard. In July I plan to head westward to central Washington state where I have some friends that I'll be visiting, making stops along the way to work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts!
Assuming you have the 4k tow package?

Love the setup!

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

20230601_173230~2.jpg

20230601_161605~2.jpg

The camera angle makes a big difference in how big this camper appears relative to the Maverick, haha.

I just picked up my new camper, the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS, and brought it home. The camper has a dry weight of 3,204 lbs and a hitch weight of 470 lbs. Yes, I know, I know, Ford advises a limit of 400 lbs for the tongue weight. I'm using a weight-distributing hitch and, with the hitch installed and properly configured, I have a rear squat of only about 3/4". I'm pretty satisfied with that.

20230601_150936.jpg

Squat measurement before hooking up.

20230601_153556.jpg

Squat measurement after hooking up.

When I load my gear in the camper, I'll be concentrating most of the weight toward the back of the camper, when possible, to reduce the amount of weight brought forward onto the hitch.

My plan is to work remotely from this rig with a combination of campsite stays and dry camping/boondocking. I'm solo, so only the weight of one person and gear will be added to the truck and camper. I'm working on equipping the camper and loading it with my gear. Once I do, I'll be taking the entire rig to a scale to ensure that I am under the GCVWR. Whenever possible I plan to be running empty tanks to keep the weight down.

20230601_195651.jpg

Monitors will be stowed and secured during travel from one site to another.

The big question - how did it handle? I certainly could tell that I had a trailer attached, but I never felt out of control on my drive back home. I was driving on relatively flat land at 65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind and averaged 13.2 mpg from the dealership to my residential street.

20230601_175134.jpg

I was able to accelerate satisfactorily and it got up to 70 mph with no issue and handling identically to 65 mph. I will likely keep my speed to 65 mph when I have all but a tailwind for the sake of fuel economy and safe handling.

I plan to keep this post updated as I continue this journey. I'll be making some local-ish trips (max of 4 hours away) in the next month or so to iron out all of the little things and to fill the gaps in the gear I have onboard. In July I plan to head westward to central Washington state where I have some friends that I'll be visiting, making stops along the way to work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts!
Like it, be safe.

Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

ddhill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Sunlite 18rd and have towed it a number of times now.
Went with it because it is inexpensive and has a north south queen bed.
I got the weigh safe hitch and my tongue weight is ~300lb.
I get around 14mpg towing.

Chose to go with a straight hitch (not weight distributing) because.... the other half of the argument :) Towing feels good and I don't have any issues with the steering feeling light.

The Maverick has electronic sway control which is a plus.

Did look at several Wolf pups while I was searching but settled on the 18rd.

My dream trailer will be built this fall for March delivery (after a 3 year wait....)

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Ecoboost, FX4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Loaded everything except for food and clothes (100lbs, max) including my mountain bike and remote work setup. I filled the water tank and then took it to a CAT Scale.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230606_220753

I think what this tells me is that my tongue weight is high. I'm not an expert on the math here, but it's a smart thing that I have a WD hitch.

I think this is also because my water tank is between the axle and the hitch. I'm most scenarios I'll be traveling with the tank empty between campsites. Definitely something to be aware of.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is the visibility out the side mirrors? I have a pontoon boat and it's a bit tough to see to back up.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is the visibility out the side mirrors? I have a pontoon boat and it's a bit tough to see to back up.
Passenger side sucks, driver's side is better and if I lean I can see behind me pretty well. I've just added a cheap towing mirror to the driver's side to better see who's behind me. I may add one to the passenger side, too.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Loaded everything except for food and clothes (100lbs, max) including my mountain bike and remote work setup. I filled the water tank and then took it to a CAT Scale.

20230606_220753.jpg

I think what this tells me is that my tongue weight is high. I'm not an expert on the math here, but it's a smart thing that I have a WD hitch.

I think this is also because my water tank is between the axle and the hitch. I'm most scenarios I'll be traveling with the tank empty between campsites. Definitely something to be aware of.
This is interesting...the manufacturer states the dry weight is 3200 lbs and the Cat scale weighed your trailer at 3140 lbs full loaded (except for food and clothes).

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

20230606_220753.jpg

was the trailer disconnected from the truck when you weighed it?

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Passenger side sucks, driver's side is better and if I lean I can see behind me pretty well. I've just added a cheap towing mirror to the driver's side to better see who's behind me. I may add one to the passenger side, too.
Nice thank you. Will have to check out those mirrors.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is interesting...the manufacturer states the dry weight is 3200 lbs and the Cat scale weighed your trailer at 3140 lbs full loaded (except for food and clothes).
My trailer was connected to the truck, so that much of the trailer weight was distributed through the tongue to the Maverick.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

20230606_220753.jpg

So your truck is ~650 over curb weight.
Curb weight is weight of the truck with full tank of gas.
Were you in the truck while on the scale?
If so, deduct your weight and any cargo in the truck. And there's your tongue weight.
If you were low on gas, then add the weight of missing gas to your tongue weight.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So your truck is ~650 over curb weight.
Curb weight is weight of the truck with full tank of gas.
Were you in the truck while on the scale?
If so, deduct your weight and any cargo in the truck. And there's your tongue weight.
If you were low on gas, then add the weight of missing gas to your tongue weight.
Yes, I was in the truck (I'm about 190lbs) with a full tank of gas and about 20lbs of cargo.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So there you go.

Tongue weight was about 440 lbs.

Recommended is 10% to 15% of the trailer.

In 30 years of pulling trailers I have always found 15% to be better. Being on the heavy side reduces trailer sway. It reduces the weight you can put in the truck, but should not be an issue with the Maverick here.

I think your setup is reasonable.
Sponsored